Which detector and pin pointer to buy

MN.Metal

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon from Minnesota.

I have been metal detecting for about two years using a cheap no name detector off amazon. I was hooked the first day out! I have found some coins, but mostly junk. I have saved up $700 to get better metal detector and a pin pointer. I was going to get a Garrett AT Pro, but after some research I decided to go with a Teknetics Patriot. As I was shopping for one , I found a Teknetics G2 +plus for $449.00. I am not sure which way to go or if there are better choices that I am not aware of.

I mostly hunt parks, fields, and campgrounds. I also detect on the shore or shallows, but don't plan on doing any underwater stuff. There are so many factors on which detector to get. I am super excited. The snow is starting to disappear.

I appreciate any input and am excited about the forum.

Thanks for having me!

Tony

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrape just a little more together, and you got yourself an Equinox 600 and a Garrett Carrot! Might as well get the best tech out there:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
M

MN.Metal

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrape just a little more together, and you got yourself an Equinox 600 and a Garrett Carrot! Might as well get the best tech out there:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the reply. I will do some research on it. It looks good so far!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon from Minnesota.

I have been metal detecting for about two years using a cheap no name detector off amazon. I was hooked the first day out! I have found some coins, but mostly junk. I have saved up $700 to get better metal detector and a pin pointer. I was going to get a Garrett AT Pro, but after some research I decided to go with a Teknetics Patriot. As I was shopping for one , I found a Teknetics G2 +plus for $449.00. I am not sure which way to go or if there are better choices that I am not aware of.

I mostly hunt parks, fields, and campgrounds. I also detect on the shore or shallows, but don't plan on doing any underwater stuff. There are so many factors on which detector to get. I am super excited. The snow is starting to disappear.

I appreciate any input and am excited about the forum.

Thanks for having me!

Tony

Welcome!

The Patriot (I have the F70) only has ground grab balance, the G2+ also has manual adjust going all the way to salt if you're going to the beach though fresh water beach probably doesnt matter.

I have the old GoldBugPro, I love the single 9v battery over four AA batteries of the Patriot, just feels lighter.

You found a new G2+ for 449? Be careful! They're $700.......

I think the Patriot is deeper on land than the G2+ a hair.

I guess if I could get a new G2+ for $449 I would. But if it's between a 400 Patriot or 700 G2+, I'd get the Patriot.

Then again, my Liberator just came in today for $219. Holy Cow!

OP
OP
M

MN.Metal

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where I found the G2+

(deleted by mod for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MN.Metal

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it not ok to post a site to see if it is a legitimate place to buy from ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it not ok to post a site to see if it is a legitimate place to buy from ?

some guidelines here

TreasureNet - Rules

I didnt see your link but beware. There are exact copies out there, plenty on ebay also. If a detector from several dealers is $700 and you find a new one for $450, I'd be skeptical.

I've seen articles detailing fake Teknetic G2s though they sell for less than $200 usually, obvious fraud....

OP
OP
M

MN.Metal

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place is called affordabemetaldetector. I am going to do some digging and see if they are legit or not.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are tons of great choices!:skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 173
OP
OP
M

MN.Metal

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research and the $449.00 for the G2+ is from a legit dealer.

Here are my choices. Patriot or G2+ .

I live in Minnesota and mostly look for coins and jewelry.

Decisions, decisions

--I am leaning toward the Patriot. That machine looks like a real work horse. People seem to really love it. I am getting excited!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MN.Metal

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to get the equinox 600! It will be here early next week! Thanks for all the input and help!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good choice ....the equinox will probably be a more versatile machine. G2+ is a good machine but not a depth monster....I think u made the right choice.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 800 would be nice too, if you don't mind peddling your behind for that amount of cash.:crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are starting out look at either the Tesoro Compadre or splurge a bit more for a Mojave as your go to machine, save your new purchase after you gained experience with either of these two, or even that Libarator as well as mentioned

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
The 800 would be nice too, if you don't mind peddling your behind for that amount of cash.:crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:
Don't be too concerned with the price up front. I've had many detectors over the past forty years of digging. All paid for themselves several times over.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Choice. It's a lot of detector for the money. Best deal on the market at $649. I think any machine not named Equinox is in trouble in 2018. Don't see any machine being much competition for it until First Texas finally drops whatever they are working on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread