All Treasure Hunting

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not familiar with the Minelabs but I am on my 2nd V3i and someone will have to pry mine from my cold dead hands when I die.... :laughing9:

ā˜  Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an Explorer user but have always been curious about the V3i. Looking for info and feedback from anyone familiar with both. Also, does the CTX3030 blow both of these models away? Thanks!

Both have their issues. The V3i can be difficult to ground balance in tougher soil .This is due to crosstalk between frequencies. Apparently in the "i" update Whites slowed the tracking to get a better ID, so when in changing terrain, of you find that tracking is not keeping up on max speed, the answer is to locktrac with offsets. Those issues aside, it's one of the greatest and most advanced machines ever to be released to the public. It's a metal detecting university, or as it's also been referred to "a make your own metal detector kit."

The E-trac/Explorer has a better ground balance and tracking system. That's about where the superiority ends. It favors deep silver (a capability the V3i also has), but overlooks small gold and micro jewelry due to a poor HF signal. It gives the iron content of an object as well as the VDI, but I find this to be no match for the spectragraph which gives you many cues as to what is garbage and what is not. The V3i can save as many programs as you can create and there's room to copy as many as have been created. Everything is adjustable from recovery/reactivity to the entire VDI and Target ID system.

The V3i can run single frequencies and multi. It was the Equinox before the Equinox was the Equinox. It still does many things the Nox doesn't. You can even decide how multi will run to decide VDI/Target ID. You can select correlate or simply Best data. The E-Trac/Explorer is set in its ways, and although it does overlook small gold and micro jewelry, what it does lock onto is very stable and reliable. The V3i has proprietary wireless audio with no real world lag. It's speed cannot be understated. You can also listen to discrimination mode in one ear and all metal in the other in mixed mode audio.

The V3i is a true 3 frequency machine. The claim that FBS machines, including the E-Trac/Explorer and CTX, are 28 frequency machines is a bit of a marketing ploy. It counts "harmonics" that are not utilized. Rather, the e-trac/Explorer is a dual frequency machine that employs a triangular wave. There's nothing wrong with that. It's actually a very clever system that is difficult to explain and the Magic of FBS is not in how many frequencies that are employed, but how they are analyzed. It's easier to market a half truth that sounds more impressive.

As far as the V3i vs. the CTX-3030, the CTX is obviously superior to the e-trac/Explorer in terms of features. Pinpoint target trace is an amazing advance in imaging brought to a hobby detector. Other than that, it shares the same limitations described above regarding the e-trac/Explorer. The preference for deep silver at the expense of small gold. The limiting to multi with no single option etc. So it basically boils down to how much latitude you want to run the machine the way you want, and how much you want to be limited in the size Gold you can hunt. The V3i is better balanced in this regard in my opinion. How much sense does it make to treasure hunt if you're not hunting gold. Any machine can find silver at a reasonable depth, fairly easily.

Considering all this, why hasn't the V3i been more popular? The majority of people do not seem to want to deal with so many adjustments and complications. Many feel the user interface should be simpler. Wireless updates never came to fruition, and some found the GB issues frustrating. The V3i seems to be a trendy machine sales wise. It sold well to begin with, then died down, particularly when the CTX was released. It is now on the uptick again as the way the Equinox runs has drawn parallels and curiosity. Looking at completed eBay sales for the last 90 days, at this point in its life the V3i sells steadily roughly equal to the e-trac. If you consider that the VX3 is a simplified V3i, and combine sales, it sells slightly less units than the CTX. Personally, I run the V3i and the Equinox. It's a killer combo if you're willing to learn what makes the V3i tick. There are also still many hidden menus yet to be discovered on the V3i according to personnel, which is intriguing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cipher. Great feedback! I really appreciate the detail and wealth of info you provided. Iā€™ve always been interested in the V3i and now I have a much better understanding of itā€™s capabilities. Best! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
O

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cipher, how would you rate the Equinox ( so far ) at discriminating deep square nails ( ID vs silver coins )?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I pretty much agree with Cipher on the V3i vs Explorer.

Though, the tracking isn't an issue for me. I manually GB most of the time.
It is very much a detector which can be adjusted for most sites, or even preferences.

In the flexibility and complexity the two are worlds apart. Explorer, more of a turn on and go machine.
V3i can be to, I made a new program which I slightly alter to the site and am ready to go in a minute or two.
It's a good all-round machine; from coin hunting, to the beach and the park. It does well in all places I've tried it in.

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Cipher on the V3i, I run the 13 inch Detech coil and itā€™s hard to beat. Yes the amount of adjustments that can be made is intimidating but you have to read the manual, re-read it again and then again, same for the instructional videos out there. But Iā€™ll tell you itā€™s amazing. I also have the 800 and I like itā€™s uncanny ability to pick a coin out of a trash infested area. So I will use them both until they come out with one that shows me exactly whatā€™s in the ground screen wise and itā€™s not $10,000 bucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread