mid level detector

pivotpoint

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2018
colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi! am new to detecting and trying to decide what detector for my first.i am eyeing the garrett series.the at pro or ace 400.then I just keep looking at higher priced ones. at max,at gold. question:can a gold detector pick-up coins and relics? can a coin/relic tool pick-up gold? just looking for I guess a "universal detector" if i am out in the field looking for coins,will it pick-up a gold coin if it is there?
I talked to someone about the ace 400 and they said it does not have ground balance. but the at pro does.also,the fisher f44 is similar to the ace 400 but it does have ground balance. all this is very confusing to me. i guess for example, i don't want a 2wd truck if i need a 4wd.
any insight would be great to help a newbie to the hobby.
thanks!

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If you are looking for full featured all around very capable detector that still costs close to the low mid range but in reality is closer to high end look at the Teknetics Patriot.
Super deep, extremely sensitive
It has ground balance
Tons of settings available or you can go with factory specs
Great for parks and everything they hold including coins and jewelry
Does really well in relic sites
Can balance down to salt for searching beaches
Does just about everything and does it all well at most sites under all conditions.

It used to be known as the Fisher F70 and sold for close to $800...now it is called the Patriot and you can get it for $400.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi! am new to detecting and trying to decide what detector for my first.i am eyeing the garrett series.the at pro or ace 400.then I just keep looking at higher priced ones. at max,at gold. question:can a gold detector pick-up coins and relics? can a coin/relic tool pick-up gold? just looking for I guess a "universal detector" if i am out in the field looking for coins,will it pick-up a gold coin if it is there?
I talked to someone about the ace 400 and they said it does not have ground balance. but the at pro does.also,the fisher f44 is similar to the ace 400 but it does have ground balance. all this is very confusing to me. i guess for example, i don't want a 2wd truck if i need a 4wd.
any insight would be great to help a newbie to the hobby.
thanks!

Welcome to the forum! Where are you from? Looks like your budget is around $400.00 The FIRST thing I would tell you is to talk to one of our trusted sponsors, like Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors is an authorized metal detector dealer If you live near the beach, a river, or lake, you'll need a different machine. For instance, the Ace 400 and the Teknetics machine mentioned don't work well on wet saltwater sand - or in saltwater. They are ok in Freshwater, but you get the control box wet and you're done.

Call Keith and see what he has to say. Best of luck!:icon_thumright:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto on the Patriot ,and or the Liberator. 010.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pivotpoint

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2018
colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! Where are you from? Looks like your budget is around $400.00 The FIRST thing I would tell you is to talk to one of our trusted sponsors, like Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors is an authorized metal detector dealer If you live near the beach, a river, or lake, you'll need a different machine. For instance, the Ace 400 and the Teknetics machine mentioned don't work well on wet saltwater sand - or in saltwater. They are ok in Freshwater, but you get the control box wet and you're done.

Call Keith and see what he has to say. Best of luck!:icon_thumright:

thanks! am in southern Colorado. yes budget around 3-500. thanks for the referral! any insight would be awesome! just don't want to get led the wrong wy in a awesome hobby!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget the Tesoro Tejon either, a very, very capable machine. Simple, easy to use and utterly dependable.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many parts of Colorado have highly mineralized soil, so yes you need ground balance capabilities. If you want to dig nuggets you need a 13khz or higher, maybe up to 19 khz. All the manufacturers have machines in your budget. I recommend you watch videos of the ones that interest you. I use the Kellyco site where I can review 4 machine's specs, side by side. I prefer a DD coil over a concentric, I am used to a target ID range of 1 to 99 and I like to here 3 to 4 tones. I am not a huge fan of the VCO tone, nor the garrett bell tones, or the minelab (bwoop-bwoop) tones. Now if you want a single tone machine were you need to listen for tone nuances to better ID targets then go with a Tesoro machine. It's all about personal preference. Many of us started on the cheap and then soon upgraded to a mid level machine and eventually went with a flagship machine. I have bought most of my machines used and have never had an issue.

The Equinox is all the rave since it came out earlier this year and they offer 2 models. The XP deus is ultra light and swung by many but out of your price range as is the Makro Multi Kruzer. Both the Deus and Mutli Kruzer give you frequency choices, but can only use one freq at a time. Highly specialized gold machines (way out of your price range) are not good for coin shooting.

I recomend you continue to research and check into these models

Fisher F75 & F75+
Fisher F19
Teknetics Patriot
Teknetics T2
Teknetics G2
Makro Multi Kruzer
Makro Kruzer
Minelab Xterra 705
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Garrett At Pro, AT Gold, & AT Max
Whites MXT Pro
Whites MX Sport

Do you need a waterproof machine? This will limit your choices. Pay attention to the weight of the machine and coil options.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I highly recommend you also invest in a quality pin pointer.

By the way I do have a slightly used Teknetics G2 (2 coil package) I will sell. Comes with both the stock 9" x 11" DD coil and the 5" DD sniper coil.

20180702_192927.jpg 20180702_193013(0).jpg

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I PM'd the OP last night, no reply, so I posted this G2 package up in the fore sale forum if anyone is interested.

OP
OP
P

pivotpoint

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2018
colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
P

pivotpoint

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2018
colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many parts of Colorado have highly mineralized soil, so yes you need ground balance capabilities. If you want to dig nuggets you need a 13khz or higher, maybe up to 19 khz. All the manufacturers have machines in your budget. I recommend you watch videos of the ones that interest you. I use the Kellyco site where I can review 4 machine's specs, side by side. I prefer a DD coil over a concentric, I am used to a target ID range of 1 to 99 and I like to here 3 to 4 tones. I am not a huge fan of the VCO tone, nor the garrett bell tones, or the minelab (bwoop-bwoop) tones. Now if you want a single tone machine were you need to listen for tone nuances to better ID targets then go with a Tesoro machine. It's all about personal preference. Many of us started on the cheap and then soon upgraded to a mid level machine and eventually went with a flagship machine. I have bought most of my machines used and have never had an issue.

The Equinox is all the rave since it came out earlier this year and they offer 2 models. The XP deus is ultra light and swung by many but out of your price range as is the Makro Multi Kruzer. Both the Deus and Mutli Kruzer give you frequency choices, but can only use one freq at a time. Highly specialized gold machines (way out of your price range) are not good for coin shooting.

I recomend you continue to research and check into these models

Fisher F75 & F75+
Fisher F19
Teknetics Patriot
Teknetics T2
Teknetics G2
Makro Multi Kruzer
Makro Kruzer
Minelab Xterra 705
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Garrett At Pro, AT Gold, & AT Max
Whites MXT Pro
Whites MX Sport

Do you need a waterproof machine? This will limit your choices. Pay attention to the weight of the machine and coil options.

Good Luck.

thanks! so,lets say that I am in Colorado mountains just sweeping around in the mountains. there might be a possibility of old relics and coins in area.!? also,there might be gold in some stream/creek beds dry or wet!? whats best? I seen the garrett at gold is good for that!? also,minelab equinox 800!?
am liking the garrett! also,what about other manufactures for what I specified? thank you for your time! just looking for the right detector for the right money!(I know,sounding like a newbie)
thanks again!

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks! so,lets say that I am in Colorado mountains just sweeping around in the mountains. there might be a possibility of old relics and coins in area.!? also,there might be gold in some stream/creek beds dry or wet!? whats best? I seen the garrett at gold is good for that!? also,minelab equinox 800!?
am liking the garrett! also,what about other manufactures for what I specified? thank you for your time! just looking for the right detector for the right money!(I know,sounding like a newbie)
thanks again!

Both choices you mentioned will be good for what you want to do.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
My first 2 machines were Garrett's.
The AT Gold or the AT Max I'd research, the Nox 800 also.
I'd also suggest the Tesoro Outlaw with the 3 coils. Best machine I've ever owned overall and kills it in trashy areas where my other machines couldn't.
After my personal research I like the Nox 800 and the AT Max for what I need. I'm sitting on it, reading more, watching more videos and won't pull the trigger until this winter. I'm hoping I'll run into someone with one.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Original Poster (OP) Your subject was "Mid level"-----------What is your budget? That way your question can can get a proper answer.
If your budget is $400.00 do like Digger27 suggested and get the Patriot/F70.
If your budget is around $200.00 another First Texas makes one that replaced the BH LRP. I can't remember the name.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread