Frequencies Between Machines

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Frequencies with different machines has been a weak point for me. I just never gave it much thought until now. I apologize in advance because I might jump around in what I'm trying to say with some rambling.

I'm interested in two machines, the Equinox 800 and the AT Max.
The Nox 800 has 5 frequencies (5, 10, 15, 20, 25)
AT Max 13.6
I want wireless headphones and a waterproof detector.

Before I go on I mostly hunt out properties for relics, coins, jewelry but I want to get more into shallow fresh water hunting. Some beaches, old swimming holes, places like that.
Right now I just have one machine, the Outlaw (10.6 kHz). This thing is amazing in heavy trash areas. I've found some thin gold with it, an example being a really thin gold chain at 3". My Outlaw picked it up where my Explorer SE Pro couldn't with it's multi frequencies. I knew both of these machines inside out. I also guess every target before I dig and with my Outlaw I have a much higher % of being accurate over my past machines.

If the AT Gold runs at 18 kHz shouldn't it pick up smaller gold items better than a lower frequency machine? This is what is confusing me because my Outlaw (10.6 kHz) is pretty good with small gold, at least what's buried shallow and in tests. The AT Max is 13.6 kHz.
I'm looking for a machine to not so much be a backup but more as just switching it up and also one that's really good in fresh water. Which of these is better in trashy areas?
I'm expecting most people will say to get the Nox but I want to know why. Where do each of these machines excel over the other in different areas?

Local park
Old overgrown abandoned properties
Older homes still lived in
Shallow creek beds/ old swimming holes
Fresh water beaches

I hope I made some kind of sense lol

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Equinox is your next machine. There is no comparing it to ANY other machine on the market at this time - in ANY price range, period. I'm a Tesoro guy, and this Equinox has opened up all of my old areas. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Ronzie

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

Minelab Equinox is your next machine. There is no comparing it to ANY other machine on the market at this time - in ANY price range, period. I'm a Tesoro guy, and this Equinox has opened up all of my old areas. :icon_thumright:

I'm most definitely leaning in that direction after what I read & seen in video's. I loved my Explorer but wasn't overly thrilled with the E-Trac, that's why I'm not 100%. I'm not in a hurry so I probably won't be getting one until this winter. I figured I'd spend the extra $300 Canadian getting the 800 over the 600.
I might just feel the same way and will be happy with having just two machines. My Outlaw isn't going anywhere, best machine I've owned or used since I started in the 90's. Maybe I'll be saying that about the Nox once I get to know it inside out.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the honest dope Ronzie, the Minelab Equinox 800 replaces every machine you have listed - all of them. It gives you more capabilities in more environments. Rain, freshwater, saltwater, gold nuggetshooting, silver sniping, deep artifacts, tiny targets, honest depth. A lot of used VLF and Multi-freq machines are now available because more 600 and 800s are being delivered every week. New player at bat!:skullflag:

OP
OP
Ronzie

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

The 5 frequencies on the 800 are 5,10,15,20, and 40, not 25. :thumbsup:

Yes, you are correct.

A question.... about what frequency is the best for detecting gold? This is more out of curiosity since I'm not out hunting specifically for gold. Like I said I never paid a lot of attention to frequencies and only looked recently seeing that the AT Gold was 18 kHz. Yet my Outlaw runs at 10.6kHz and likes small gold like earrings, thin chains.

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 800 will see a 0.03 gram gold flake sitting on top of mineralized soil using stock settings. TID reading was 1 and had a nice tone.
I haven’t tested any other mode yet as I’m still getting to know this gal.
She’s got 8 personalities so she oughta be fun to learn.
Pretty sure this machine won’t disappoint anybody that gets one & takes the time to learn her language.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both . The AT max hands down easier to use no programs depth is great stays solid equinox breaks up and is choppy I hit coins in my test garden solid with the Max the 800 is choppy lower frequency is better for gold. I think so many people and Dealers bought those 6 and 800s don't believe the hype; Im not a dealer most who promote it are. target separation and target ID spot on most times

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions