Help Choosing Metal Detector

Metalman23

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just recently started metal detecting with a Garrett 400 and am looking to upgrade. I mainly hunt beaches with the occasional park. I want to get a detector that will let me find deeper targets in wet sand by the water.

I have been looking and researching and am looking at a white's beachhunter 300? Any suggestions/advice?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum! If you want to go deeper in the wet sand and water, take a hard look at the Minelab Equinox 600. It offers both Multi-frequency, and single frequency operation, making it perfect for saltwater beaches and land digging. The FIRST machine to be classed a true "All Around" metal detector. Minelab Equinox 600

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would agree with Terry. The Equinox 600 sounds like it would be perfect for the beach, water, and parks.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BH 300 is a multiple frequency machine (two frequencies, as I recall). I do own one, but don't use it all that often. It will get deep and it is waterproof to 25 feet. It was made for hunting in/around salt water. It is a heavy machine though and Whites no longer makes the model. You'd still get a 2 year warranty if you buy a new one that the dealer still has in stock. It would not be my choice for hunting a park - but I'm quite happy with its performance on the beach.

I tend to use my MMK when I hunt the beach, but I don't really hunt the beaches all that often. The MMK is much lighter in weight and it does a very good job at the beach. The MMK is waterproof as well - to a depth of 15 feet (I believe). The MMK has three frequencies - you select one of the three. It does quite well - much better than any other single frequency machine that I know of - in the salt water. It is a fantastic choice for park hunting and fresh water.

I don't own, nor have I used, the Minelab Equinox (I chose the MMK over the Nox and I'm pleased with my decision). The Nox (either version) is much lighter than the BH 300 and it operates on more frequencies. I'd take the Nox over the BH 300 for park hunting any day - simply due to the lighter weight and it should be (I'm assuming) easier to swing for longer periods of time.

All that said, the BH 300 is a very good machine and it would serve you very well for hunting wet sand and the water. You'll have to decide if the weight would be an issue for you (or not). I'd suggest that you go to a dealer and swing several machines: try as many out as you can and see which machine fits you best.

BTW - you can belt mount the control box of the BH 300. That would make it a very light weight machine. (I have not belt-mounted my BH 300).

There are other options you might wish to consider as well - PI machines are one example. You'll dig everything, but they'll go deep.

If you're talking about fresh water beaches, there's the AT Pro and the MX Sport from Whites. Neither is ideal for salt water, but both would serve you very well for fresh water and parks. I do own the MX Sport and am very happy with its abilities; it is fantastic choice for park hunting and fresh water (and it will do an ok job in wet salt sand conditions).

OP
OP
M

Metalman23

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. I will look into the Equinox 600. I have also come across the minelab CTX 3030. Is it worth the money?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. I will look into the Equinox 600. I have also come across the minelab CTX 3030. Is it worth the money?

They are 2 different machines. The Nox is good for fast recovery and the other is slower but better discrimination . Its all about how much patience you have .

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely going to be a bigger learning curve on the CTX.

OP
OP
M

Metalman23

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So since I'm more of a beginner I should go with the Nox 600? Thanks for all the responses! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread