Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting a new machine, and conflicted between the two. Wondering if anybody has any experience with both, or any suggestions to make my decision easier. Here is where I'm at.

Price wise: The 800 is significantly cheaper than the Deus. In addition to the normal pricing, they also have a military discount. So that sure seems like a win for the 800

Accessories: It seems like accessories wise, there is a lot to choose from for the Deus, and not so much for the 800. But out of all accessories that I would be concerned with, I would say it would be coils and screen protectors. Minelab's Equinox coils are significantly cheaper, and actually have a small coil for tight areas. Deus doesn't have "shooter coils" in the sense that I consider them, and their coils are the price of a lot of brand new detectors. Does Deus feel that they don't need a small coil due to recovery speed? Should this be considered a win for the Equinox?

Warranty: This is obviously a big deal and shouldn't be taken lightly. The Deus has a warranty of 5 years! Equinox has 2 (apparently 3 according to an online dealer?) years. This is definitely a win for the Deus.

Programming/software: Another win for the Deus would be the fact that I can download the lasted update, just like I would on my phone. With that being said, it seems that Deus' updates have had a good amount of "bugs." There's also the fact of there being multiple programs and customization for the Deus. Now, I can only go off of what I have seen and read, so I'm not so sure on how they programs and custom programming of the Equinox matches up with the Deus. I just read that the 800 is also able to download the latest update, but are they able to stand up to the types of updates that Deus is putting out? Possibly a tie? Or a win for one or the other.

Battery: I do like the fact that the Deus lasts 30 hours for the remote, but 20 for the coil. I don't like the fact that EVERYTHING needs to be charged. Sure, it's wireless...but the only thing that bothered me about wires on my detectors is the headphone wires. The coil wire has never given me any issues.
The equinox only appears to get 12 hours, which is about a long day of hunting, but what about those weekend trips? How close to the end of those 12 hours does the detector start loosing effectiveness in identifying targets.

Versions/models?: With the Equinox, it's simple. 600 & 800, but why so many different versions of the Deus, and why the steep prices between versions.

Tones/sounds: Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the Deus has 3 tones? And I'm not so sure that I like the sounds of them too much. The Equinox however has smooth tones and more along what I am used to. Also, there is a constant complaint about "chatter" with the Deus. Now, I typically hate silent searchers. They just aren't my thing, so maybe chatter wouldn't be so bad, but apparently with the 800, it's that nice clean & quiet sound until there's a target (disregard, just read that the 800 actually does have threshold....hmmm.), Due to the sounds of the tones, and the 800 having threshold instead of "chatter" I would probably give this one to the 800.

Weight: Deus is 2 lbs, Equinox is 3. Not a huge deal for me, but obviously Deus wins this one.

New features: There is the fact that Deus' "display" is actually a remote that can be removed from the shaft. They even have a watch wristband if you get the version with the circular remote (again, why all these different versions?). There's also the ability to link a cellphone straight to the coil and "map" targets (but why not just sell the shaft/handle and coil, and create an app to make your phone the remote?)

I'm sure some things I have said on here are inaccurate, but I tried to do the best I can with the limited knowledge I have of each machine. One thing is for certain, I have seen A LOT more XP Deus's for sale on Used Metal Detector FB groups. Has to make you wonder if there is a reason behind it. Any insight that any of you that have experiences on both could provide me, I sure would love to hear it. Thanks for sticking with me through this long read lol. Hope to hear from you. I am leaning more towards Equinox 800. Out of all the videos I have seen, nothing seems significantly different between the 2 as far as performance, but there is a significant difference between the prices.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The short answer is...Equinox 800. And thank you for your Service! 🙋 I'm sure you'll be hearing from vferrari momentarily. 😁

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, he will chirp in with a new lesson in techno geek.:laughing7: But we dig together, so it's all good. I owned the 600 for a short while. I no longer have it. I like my Deus and it sucks stuff out of the ground and is much easier to use and swing than the Minelab. I wanted the Minelab for the beach, but my doctor does not want me detecting at all anymore (so much for that!), but I decided not to do the water. That was my mental compromise with the doctor. I haven't detected for weeks and my arthritis is greatly improved.

If you want a mid range machine, get the Minelab. Just like buying a car, there is a reason for the difference in price.

I just play, I don't do techno geek well. I set my machine on "idiot" mode and it sucks stuff out of the ground, what was surprising was finding good stuff so deep in places others had pounded this past year. I was truly surprised at that.

It's going to depend on what YOU really want. Other people's opinions are just that, opinions, including mine. And don't rely on youtube. I've "caught" more people telling tall tales around detecting or relic hunting on there recently than I'd like to admit to.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox is 10 times easier to learn.....Deus you can fine tune much better based on your site (other than the beach and mineralized soils) and for me is the "better" machine.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I posted this a while ago, but right now I am aiming towards the configuration 5 Deus. Could somebody elaborate on the difference between the WS4 and WS5 headphones? Also, are there any significant differences between config 4 and config 5? Right now I am leaning towards the config 5 with the 9" HF eliptical coil, WS5 headphones, and the MI-6 pinpointed. Any thoughts from all you deus owners out there?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out XP's web site on the 4 vs 5 headphones....the pinpointer is junk, dont bother with it and good choice on the coil.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pinpointer is free. It's funny that you say that because I was watching a video with minelab PP and thought the same thing. Garrett has that game figured out! Lol

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wouldn't use anything else. Deus for me. Deus will adjust to any site. Just my opinion. As for as pinpointing goes. Garrett Carrott.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a long time Explorer user who converted to the Deus a year ago and put a lot of time on it, and feel like I now know it fairly well. I recently got an Equinox and have done a couple of hunts with it, and because of my prior experience, or maybe my detecting experience in general, I'm pretty comfortable with it, but would need more time to know it fully... and what I mean by fully is when hunting the iron of my old sites I'm hearing a lot of part tones and right now it's just noise, but with experience maybe some of those sounds are masked targets breaking through. With that said, I see no potential for me liking it as much as I like the Deus, and it's not even a close call. I'd personally pay $3,000 to be able to use it even if given an Equinox to use for free... that's just my personal opinion. In no way am I saying the Equinox is bad -- I'm actually happy to have it as back up and for salt water, but the only real effect the Equinox left on me was how much I love the Deus. If people are selling their XPs to buy the Minelab and their hunting is anything like mine, it leaves me perplexed. I also converted from the carrot to the MI-6, and that was a great change as well. It's nice having the sound though the phones, and the XP PP xeros in quicker than the carrot. I'm not in any way detector or brand loyal, and if something comes along that I like better I have no problem jumping ship, but Deus is pretty much all I could ask for in a detector. A last point... the Deus is a hell of a lot nicer to swing. Hate the balance of the EQ.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I bought the WS4 headphones because in hot sunny weather they are adjusted around the neck so as to wear a full sun hat. The WS5's I've heard are over the head like most others. I really like the WS4 model. You can also use it as the control box. The setting are in the headphones and will snap on the detector shaft. Many options available with this machine. Again, the Nox is a great machine no doubt and definitely maybe be easier to use out of the box but once you learn the Deus after several hours(which it takes with any machine)to me I've made my choice but talk to others that have the Nox and other brands. They all find trash.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the WS4 headphones because in hot sunny weather they are adjusted around the neck so as to wear a full sun hat. The WS5's I've heard are over the head like most others. I really like the WS4 model. You can also use it as the control box. The setting are in the headphones and will snap on the detector shaft. Many options available with this machine. Again, the Nox is a great machine no doubt and definitely maybe be easier to use out of the box but once you learn the Deus after several hours(which it takes with any machine)to me I've made my choice but talk to others that have the Nox and other brands. They all find trash.

I also like the WS4. I believe the new phones have more features, like recovery too... so if I was buying new I'd probably want to get all the up to date stuff. Deus light package would be a little better now. I use the Miccus phones with my Equinox, or whatever they're called... is what is sold with the 800. They echo or have feedback, very subtle but it's there. WS4 do not. Would not be a deal break if I liked the EQ, but another little difference where the nod goes to the Deus. Now sure if others have that or not... would think they do.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess people dislike the WS5 because the remote doesnt come detached. Which is another thing...why have a remote on the headphones? If they're on your head, seems like you couldnt do much with them anyways. I was also mistaking the Deus being water resistant. Looks like you have to buy a cover for the remote, so only the coil is waterproof. Which wouldn't matter if the remote was waterproof too because the headphones arent. My main concern is there seems to be alot of unnecessary feathers of the Deus that I'm not sure serve a real purpose, like the remote on the headphones, 2 different remotes, a removable remote/display, waterproof coil but not waterproof/resistant remote, etc. Maybe its because I haven't used one yet, but why not just create an app for a smart phone to be the remote considering that it can already link to the coil, and get rid of the remote completely. And with the 9.5" HF eliptical coil, will it work on any Deus, or is there a certain "configuration" that's needed?

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having put them both through their paces for a year each I prefer the Equinox. I suspect that there's a strong psychological component to the Deus where the wireless features lead people to think more of it than they otherwise would any other quick single frequency or single selectable machine.

As you noted, Just_curious, the wireless coil is a bit gimmicky. It's strength is also its weakness. You can change machines by changing coils. The remote is simply a passive instrument sending and receiving information. The metal detecting hardware is located in the coil. This sort of future proofs some of the unit in a way, but until XP releases a true multifrequency coil, rather than single selectables it's not going to be as versatile a platform as Equinox.

The weakness in having a wireless coil of course is that since all the critical hardware is in the coils, anytime you want to change coils you're having to purchase a whole new metal detector. The Equinox does natively with a single coil what the Deus tries to do with 2 or more, still falling short in a couple of areas, primarily the beach and overall Target ID. With Equinox you can switch to a smaller or larger coil, retaining the same advantages without having to also purchase all new hardware with it.

The Deus does allow the creation of more readily available programs. To me, the only other slight advantage the Deus holds is it does still seem to be a tick better in dense iron. Depth is pretty even, until you get into wet salt beach conditions where the Equinox takes off on the Deus and can get wet without a kit. Hardwired is still the best solution for underwater use, which is why you don't see Minelab emulating the Deus even though they hold wireless patents as well. Both are able to be updated to new firmware at home.

The price difference doesn't actually offer any insight into which is better. Most of what you're paying for with the Deus is innovation that doesn't lend itself to any particular performance advantage, just a little lighter weight, and more things to charge. The wireless ability between coil and remote does not offer anything in the way of increased depth or speed, it's just simply a different way of doing things. Although the Equinox is priced near the mid range, I'd hardly call it a mid range performer, because it's not. It has the depth, separation, sensitivity, versatility of any high end machine. Minelabs goal here was not to put out a mid grade performer at an upper mid grade price. It was to give you a high end performer at a mid grade price. The Deus was a clear target in their efforts as were all the single frequency all terrain machines, as was the Whites Spectra V3i.

The price difference is often an argument we hear from those with an Etrac or CTX-3030 too, even though clearly the Equinox keeps up with them on silver and surpasses their ability on gold. Minelab recognizes the future of this hobby is not in heavy machines costing over $1,000. The Equinox is not missing any of the major adjustments you need to make to improve its performance in any given area. The pricier models have some extra features, ability to save more of them, and a couple models have a color screen. Some models will be better at certain single tasks, but I think the Equinox offers you the most across the most environments, and natively, without having to change hardware. Equinox's platform is also wide open to future add on accessories via wifi, BT etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions