Whites MXT Pro vs Minelab Equinox 600 or 800

Battleborn_JKU

Oct 10, 2018
Reno, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm researching detectors as I prepare to move up to the next level of metal detecting. I believe I've settled on one of two. Eithet the Whites MXT Pro, or the Minelab 600 or 800. I'm looking for honest opinions on which detector is more suitable to my needs. I'm primarily a relic and coin hunter, but I'm also going to be diving into the world of prospecting as well. Thanks!

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can give you more then 10 reasons why not to buy the White's Mxt Pro but i give you one : single frequency. 14 Khz for gold prospecting is not the way to go.

Last edited:

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a White's fan but it would seem to me that the Nox 800 is more what you're looking for. It is a "jack of all trades" machine with the ability to use multiple frequency's to achieve better results.

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to get into brand warfare here... too many already in that battle.

As Peter67 pointed out the White's (or any other brand) detector at 14 kHz machine is not optimized for detecting gold. It's physics that matter, not the brand.

Carrying this out to the logical conclusion you should know the Equinox 600 will be inferior to the Equinox 800 for gold prospecting as well. The 800 has 20 kHz and 40 kHz frequencies that the 600 doesn't offer.

So if your primary interest is giving yourself the best shot at finding the variety of items you describe, and given the selection you're considering, the only logical answer is the Equinox 800.

-Joe

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my MXT, it is one of the best Meachines out there but I to was looking for that next step. With a lot of research, I settled on the MXT on steroids. It's more well rounded plus waterproof. That's why I went with the Equanox 800. It's a learning curve for me but this is a machine that will last me for many years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread