Need help! Newbie getting a used Minelab GP Extreme or a new detector? Cost within!

goldorbtc

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

There is a local seller with a used GP extreme (I guess around 15 years old now?). I assume the battery doesn't charge anymore and he hasn't tested it. It's selling for $600 (maybe I can get it for less). From what I can tell, it was a great detector when it came out and possibly is still great. It comes with an 18 inch and 11 inch disc thingy at the bottom.

Should I get this and make my own lithium Ion battery pack (I like to dabble with things).

Or, should I forgo this old monster and spend what I was really looking to spend, between $100-$400 for something new? If I did get something in that range, what do you recommend?

I'm looking to explore land, beaches, shallow water...

Thank you all!!
B

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get a new machine. Minelab Equinox 600:skullflag:

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Texas.

OP
OP
G

goldorbtc

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox 600 is a bit steep in price, but it looks good. I'll just have to save my pennies.

And thank you Alamo. :-)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste your money on a 15 year old machine. So much has improved since then. AT Pro is about that money new and there are many others depending on preference. I am sure you will get many suggestions here. Welcome

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard goldorbtc! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country.

2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox 600 is a bit steep in price, but it looks good. I'll just have to save my pennies.

And thank you Alamo. :-)

There have been a couple that sold on here for less than the $600.00 you are going to pay.

Hang tight and scan the classifieds and I'm sure one will pop up soon.

OP
OP
G

goldorbtc

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been a couple that sold on here for less than the $600.00 you are going to pay.

Hang tight and scan the classifieds and I'm sure one will pop up soon.

Thank you all. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some deals!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread