The age old question

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to introduce myself as a new member but I may have been a member several years ago, just not sure anymore. I am retired and have hunted in the past. I have owned a few Garrett models, a GTA 350, 500, and 1000. My favorite machine was a Tesoro ToltekII. My Tesoro was stolen, or, in a senior moment I just left it somewhere. I wouldn't swear to either way. Anyway, it has been a few years since I've hunted but would like to get back into it.

I will hunt mostly local historical sites, with permission of course. Disturbed soil like sidewalk and curb reconstruction, which there is lot of in my town just now. I will also hunt parks, playgrounds, and ball parks. I may possibly hunt some creek beds and maybe some salt water when vacationing. I'm 69 so weight is a consideration, both my own and the detector!

I did not like the Garrett GTA 1000 as it was heavy and a battery hog and that was 20 years ago or more.

When I started shopping I found that the market has changed dramatically from when I was active before so I'm asking for help. I know there is no "best" machine but any recommendations with explanations would be very welcome.

My budget is $1000.00 or less, I understand cheaper is seldom better but more expensive doesn't guarantee better either. As I said, I'm somewhat familiar with Garrett and Tesoro but am open to other brands as well.

Thanks for any ideas

Steve

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to introduce myself as a new member but I may have been a member several years ago, just not sure anymore. I am retired and have hunted in the past. I have owned a few Garrett models, a GTA 350, 500, and 1000. My favorite machine was a Tesoro ToltekII. My Tesoro was stolen, or, in a senior moment I just left it somewhere. I wouldn't swear to either way. Anyway, it has been a few years since I've hunted but would like to get back into it.

I will hunt mostly local historical sites, with permission of course. Disturbed soil like sidewalk and curb reconstruction, which there is lot of in my town just now. I will also hunt parks, playgrounds, and ball parks. I may possibly hunt some creek beds and maybe some salt water when vacationing. I'm 69 so weight is a consideration, both my own and the detector!

I did not like the Garrett GTA 1000 as it was heavy and a battery hog and that was 20 years ago or more.

When I started shopping I found that the market has changed dramatically from when I was active before so I'm asking for help. I know there is no "best" machine but any recommendations with explanations would be very welcome.

My budget is $1000.00 or less, I understand cheaper is seldom better but more expensive doesn't guarantee better either. As I said, I'm somewhat familiar with Garrett and Tesoro but am open to other brands as well.

Thanks for any ideas

Steve

Welcome back to the hobby Steve, things have certainly moved on regarding technology in the last few years. For that budget most people would suggest an Equinox but there are plenty of other good machines out now. You will get plenty of good advice from the guys here. Cheers from England!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The EQ800 can be had brand new and you will still have enough to buy a pinpointer as well. If you've never used a pinpointer, get one. It will speed up recovery time and allow you to dig more targets in an outing. Amazingly light unit. (Minelab EQ600 and EQ800) Internal battery will need recharged after every use.
If you want to stay with Garrett, a fine company and products, imo, the AT Pro can be had for a super deal on the used market and new ones for less than $500 if you make some calls to the dealers. AT Pro takes four double aa's. Put them in and forget about it for several long hunts. The Garrett will suck at the salt beach, however.
GOOD LUCK and come back to show off some finds.

Last edited:

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for any ideas

Steve

Minelab Equinox or XP Deus. Simply the 2 best dedetectors on te market I also use sometimes a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. Not so good on coins then the other 2 but unbeatable for gold in parcs ad recreation aras. 75% of my gold is found by this detector.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro is now out of business, but some of their machines are still available new. Warranty has been an issue. I liked the Vaquero. As weight is a consideration, the lightest machines are the XP Deus, the XP ORX and the Tesoros with the Minelab Equinoxes coming in right behind.

I know folks who like the Fisher F75 but its heavier. As is the Garrett AT Max and Pro series. If you go with an Equinox get a new one. You'll also want a 6" loop, so add that to the cost.

I'd try to find a dealer or local club and see what you like before you buy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro is now out of business, but some of their machines are still available new. Warranty has been an issue. I liked the Vaquero. As weight is a consideration, the lightest machines are the XP Deus, the XP ORX and the Tesoros with the Minelab Equinoxes coming in right behind.

I know folks who like the Fisher F75 but its heavier. As is the Garrett AT Max and Pro series. If you go with an Equinox get a new one. You'll also want a 6" loop, so add that to the cost.

I'd try to find a dealer or local club and see what you like before you buy.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, I will definitely do some research on the equinox. The Deus looks to be just over budget but hey, who hasn't gone over budget?
thanks again

Steve

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a Deus, get a used one if need be. About $1k. I have in no particular order, dropped it hundreds of times, buried it more than once, scratched all the paint off, dropped it in the ocean (a no no), had it snowed on, rained on, hailed on, laid it down and put my chair smack dab on the shaft and sat on it (didn't break), etc.

If there is a club nearby, go see what they have. I think Texas Instruments is coming out with something new this fall as is Minelab. The XP ORX is very much like the Deus but a lot less. They weigh 1.9 pounds and with my arthritis, I like it. I'm serious about taking one for a test drive if at all possible. I've done the Goldilocks and the Three Bears thing way too many times with a machine, too heavy, too chattery, didn't like EMI emissions, broke if you looked it wrong etc.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to take a look at some of the machines from Nokta-Makro. Both the Kruzer and the Anfibio would be very good for the kind of hunting you've mentioned. They're not the optimal choice for salt water hunting, but they'll be just fine for the occasional hunt in salt water. NM has a new machine out - the Simplex. It is their entry level machine. No real world tests on it that I know of so far, but my guess is that it will be a good machine and the price is very good.

Another possibility - not yet mentioned - is the Whites MX7. It is pretty much the MX Sport without being completely waterproof. The MX7 is a bit lighter in weight and it is water resistant. I think the MX7 is probably a bit heavier than the other machines mentioned though. Not the optimum machine for in the water salt water hunting, but it'll do in a pinch. Elsewhere it will do very well.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies and help. I was really torn between the minelab and the deus but because of the veteran discount went with the minelab. Ordered it this morning from one of the forum sponsors. I also ordered the six inch coil and can hardly wait to get them.

Steve

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox 600 or 800 is a very special machine with newer technology so I say very good choice !
Like many people will say , be patient while you learn this machine and it will reward you .
Any questions you have be sure and ask away :)

jk1031

Dec 7, 2014
Lockhart, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ & Nokta Makro PulseDive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I got the Simplex, I've used it maybe 20-30 times on individual hunts, and I have to say, it exceeds my expectations. It pulls targets at depths I didn't even know were possible. My only complaint is that it gives false signals underwater if the coil touches something. Other than that, I absolutely love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread