My first post about a new detector by a guy in a new hobby. Vanquish 540 question.

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all.

I’m brand new to all of this, so I’m going to claim “honeymoon” status for the first few posts.

On the suggestion from a detector it’s on another unrelated forum, I recently purchased a Vanquish 540.

I took it out today and scored on just a little bit of valueless crap, but it’s my crap after all, and I’m darned proud of it! I did notice a thing or two as I swung this thing back and forth, and I need a little schooling.

As I search around on my rural acreage, my friend did explain that farmsteads can overwhelm a machine sometimes with all of the trash. But sometimes, it’s as if it just stops or goes on pause. The numbers don’t change, the noises stop. It’s as if it’s temporarily stuck.

Do I keep slowly making passes as I walk, or do I stop and wait for it to “clear”? Or do I turn it off to reset?

Silly, beginner questions, I’m sure. I won’t need much patience or time from you all, I promise. I’m a pretty quick study, and I’ll keep reading on this forum to learn.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Welcome to TNet. Just keep swinging. That pause you say and no noises is because there is nothing to be detected under the coil. Some farm fields may have more trash and some fields you may not get any signals for many feet at a time. You’re doing it right just keep swinging. Make sure you’re overlapping your swings and swinging the coil flat to the ground and not swinging the coil with an arc like a pendulum. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, sir!

I’m a little late to the game at 61, but I do find this pursuit absolutely fascinating. I’m so glad I found this forum, and I look forward to learning much from you all.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learn the machine and your troubles will be over!

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 122
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 88
  • v3.jpg
    v3.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 84
  • v4.jpg
    v4.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 79
  • v5.jpg
    v5.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 114

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you keep at it you will be rewarded with finds that will make you glad you did. Keep your expectations in check and enjoy yourself. The finds will eventually come and you will be very pleased.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Sounds like iron nulling to me.

I have a good bit of hrs on the vanquish. When it's passing over iron a lot it sometimes seems to go out of audio and come back in. It's normal for it to operate that way.

Dig solid repeatable tones. Vanquish is a good machine. Doesn't handle the iron great but does have the power to find old deep items. I thought the vanquish was a toy the first half dozen times I took it out. Then I started to learn it's lingo and it's a damn good little powerful machine.

Keep at it like others said. You will be rewarded in time.

Jer

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet! Looking forward to seeing your finds! Crap and all! Sometimes the crap is more interesting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread