Positive Thoughts Prevail

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after finding the broken W. Taussig & Co. buckle last month (top of this photo), I had it in my mind to find a complete buckle.
I had a good feeling and was specifically looking for a buckle while I was detecting. Dang if it didn't pop out of the ground!

They are difficult to photograph so the picture really doesn't do it justice. TAUSSIG POLLACK & Co. SANFRANCISCO
I will be looking for the other half, which hopefully will be in the vicinity.

Any info people can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Buckle2.jpg

I found it interesting that the two buckles shown are opposite as far as the tongue and wreath style goes. Left Handed vs. Right handed? I wonder why somebody pounded a nail through the broken buckle? Plug a knot hole in the sluice box?

Oh ya...whats with the gold nugget? I followed up the buckle with a Collins Company miners pick https://patch.com/connecticut/canton-ct/did-pick-axes-save-the-collins-company

Then found a small nugget (16 grains) that one of the men lost while panning.

I read somewhere (maybe here?) that during the California Gold Rush, suspenders were the norm and that most pants didn't even have provisions for a belt.
A belt/buckle was somewhat of a status symbol.

Last edited:

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds !!
W. Taussig & Co. dates 1850-52 Good luck on finding that wreath. amc11rv8.JPG
In the dag.Among this particular group of miners, belts appear to outnumber suspenders LOL
I particularly like the guy with the 2 foot long sword of bowie in his belt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per the status symbol of the belt/buckle. It could have been an attitude that was brought from back east. If you wore suspenders, that meant you could not afford to have your clothes fitted or to buy the correct size. I'll have to figure out which book I read that in.
Those all look like successful miners - heck several guys are packing a gut. Well fed.

I think if the other side of the buckle was discarded in the same general location, there's a pretty good chance it's still there.

This is what I'm looking for right? Reeds on the edge - smooth face.
View attachment Clipboard01.bmp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread