OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Texas Marine Corp, and the Texas Army button. I would like an aprasial on them.

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Old River,

Anything that says the magical letters which is CS is big bucks, then anything that comes from Texas that is Confederate is also big bucks but what you have found are items that came from Texas when Texas was its own country. Many CS Texas buttons are very rare and depending on the quality of the button can go for $1,000 to $10,000 per button.

A CS Navy button in good shape can get $2,000 to $4,000 dollars, once again your Texas navy buttons are very rare. CS Marine buttons which have just an M on them have gone for $10,000 on some sites depending on how good of shape they are in.

If you are going to sell, I would find a Texas Collector who understands the value of what you have found.

I would also tell you to go back to your site and DIG DEEPER you have probably left many artifacts in the ground 2 foot down or deeper. I looked at your case and I would say you either found a fort or a camp or some place that was very strategic. You need to spend time looking at old maps AND reading up on Texas history. You need to try and find out what happened on this site years ago. I find just as much pleasure in the research as I do the actual hunt.

You need to get some old maps and new topographical maps and compare them to where your site is, take it from me I have found 3 Forts and one virgin battlefield from the Second Seminole War and I spend months researching before I ever pick up my metal detector and I only go for military relics from fort sites, if you need help send me an email. Find the old survey maps from the local county seat and I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised. I have seen many fort locations on survey maps from the 1800's. Good luck.

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
One more question....is your site on high ground and close to water? Are there very old oak trees nearby? I have found musket balls and grape shot in trees before. Many times in Florida we find Navy, Marine, Militia and Army buttons at the same site. You are on a Fort my friend!!! Go find the trash pits and the trails. Typical Forts of that era were 5,000 square feet with towers in opposing corners.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
The Texas Army books for $1,000+ Your's looks really nice so would probably be worth more. I've never even seen a TMC button. You might want to contact William Leigh at civilwarbuttons.com
Some very cool finds too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread