37 th regiment button

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is my first post of my finds. I believe it is war of 1812 or earlier pewter British button.

Thanks for looking and any help on identification, value etc.

37 button.jpg

back button.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this pattern was used in both the Rev War and 1812. If there's no backmark it suggests it dates early, but that doesn't eliminate the soldier who wore it having fought in 1812. I would decide what war based on what was found with it, and if you're up around Niagara I would strongly lean towards 1812. It's very possible the same uniform/ buttons could have been worn in both wars but that is something we'll never know, so you just go with what makes sense. I'd say the button is worth maybe $100 or so, used to be more, but things have changed over the past 10 years.

PS: I have actually found the same one, or very similar, twice, but neither is anywhere close to the condition of yours which is either a water find, or from very forgiving ground. Seeing you have a trade axe maybe you're more North East.

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow.. .that button looks very nice... congratulations, you found it in superb condition.

OP
OP
Glenn C

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Yes, this pattern was used in both the Rev War and 1812. If there's no backmark it suggests it dates early, but that doesn't eliminate the soldier who wore it having fought in 1812. I would decide what war based on what was found with it, and if you're up around Niagara I would strongly lean towards 1812. It's very possible the same uniform/ buttons could have been worn in both wars but that is something we'll never know, so you just go with what makes sense. I'd say the button is worth maybe $100 or so, used to be more, but things have changed over the past 10 years.

PS: I have actually found the same one, or very similar, twice, but neither is anywhere close to the condition of yours which is either a water find, or from very forgiving ground. Seeing you have a trade axe maybe you're more North East.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. It is one of my favorite buttons. Yes i am pretty much north east. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Glenn C

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I actually do not have any hunting partner. Thanks for showing me the link to your button. I have not had the chance to see another example. I hunt mostly trade era stuff.

Thanks again

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually do not have any hunting partner. Thanks for showing me the link to your button. I have not had the chance to see another example. I hunt mostly trade era stuff.

Thanks again

ok, then there's two Glenns in the North East. Considering you're hunting trade items it sounds like you would be West of me, so my best guess would be i QC. Don't see many trade items found East of there except for axes.

OP
OP
Glenn C

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
ok, then there's two Glenns in the North East. Considering you're hunting trade items it sounds like you would be West of me, so my best guess would be i QC. Don't see many trade items found East of there except for axes.

I'm in middle of Ontario :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread