Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

ca
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    Relic Hunting

37 th regiment button

This is my first post of my finds. I believe it is war of 1812 or earlier pewter British button.

Thanks for looking and any help on identification, value etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37 button.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	662136

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back button.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	662137

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Yes, this pattern was used in both the Rev War and 1812. If there's no backmark it suggests it dates early, but that doesn't eliminate the soldier who wore it having fought in 1812. I would decide what war based on what was found with it, and if you're up around Niagara I would strongly lean towards 1812. It's very possible the same uniform/ buttons could have been worn in both wars but that is something we'll never know, so you just go with what makes sense. I'd say the button is worth maybe $100 or so, used to be more, but things have changed over the past 10 years.

PS: I have actually found the same one, or very similar, twice, but neither is anywhere close to the condition of yours which is either a water find, or from very forgiving ground. Seeing you have a trade axe maybe you're more North East.
    Last edited by Iron Patch; Aug 09, 2012 at 02:01 PM.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    138 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Wow.. .that button looks very nice... congratulations, you found it in superb condition.

ca
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    Yes, this pattern was used in both the Rev War and 1812. If there's no backmark it suggests it dates early, but that doesn't eliminate the soldier who wore it having fought in 1812. I would decide what war based on what was found with it, and if you're up around Niagara I would strongly lean towards 1812. It's very possible the same uniform/ buttons could have been worn in both wars but that is something we'll never know, so you just go with what makes sense. I'd say the button is worth maybe $100 or so, used to be more, but things have changed over the past 10 years.

PS: I have actually found the same one, or very similar, twice, but neither is anywhere close to the condition of yours which is either a water find, or from very forgiving ground. Seeing you have a trade axe maybe you're more North East.
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. It is one of my favorite buttons. Yes i am pretty much north east.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. It is one of my favorite buttons. Yes i am pretty much north east.

You the Glenn who hunts with Steve?

If your button has no makers mark I'd say it's probably more like $150-$200 to the right person. Hard to find them that nice. Here's the last I found. (actually both)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ok-ending.html
    Last edited by Iron Patch; Aug 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM.

ca
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    Relic Hunting
    I actually do not have any hunting partner. Thanks for showing me the link to your button. I have not had the chance to see another example. I hunt mostly trade era stuff.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
    I actually do not have any hunting partner. Thanks for showing me the link to your button. I have not had the chance to see another example. I hunt mostly trade era stuff.

Thanks again

ok, then there's two Glenns in the North East. Considering you're hunting trade items it sounds like you would be West of me, so my best guess would be i QC. Don't see many trade items found East of there except for axes.

ca
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch

ok, then there's two Glenns in the North East. Considering you're hunting trade items it sounds like you would be West of me, so my best guess would be i QC. Don't see many trade items found East of there except for axes.
    I'm in middle of Ontario

Sponsors