Old Button??

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I posted this in the "Todays Finds" section with little luck. I thought that I would try here.
Last Saturday (8-8-15) we decided to do a little wading in a little creek off of the Dix River hoping for civil war stuff. We found mostly junk and trash. However after cleaning what I believed to be yet another shotgun shell head stamp, I think I may have an old button. It is brass, and there are no words on either side that I can tell. You can see the area where the shank was attached (it does not go all the way through). It has a slight convex shape to it. What do you all say? Is it a button? Any guesses on how old? Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks

JimK

Attachments

• button.JPG
    button.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 162
  • button2.JPG
    button2.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 154

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
Looks like pre-civil war flat button. It's pretty cruded up. You might want to get a small dish. Put aluminum foil in there. Get a marble or piece of wood to keep the button from lying flat and cover it with hot hydrogen peroxide. basically sets up an electrolysis reaction but keep an eye on it. Might take several tries.

OP
OP
JimK

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like pre-civil war flat button. It's pretty cruded up. You might want to get a small dish. Put aluminum foil in there. Get a marble or piece of wood to keep the button from lying flat and cover it with hot hydrogen peroxide. basically sets up an electrolysis reaction but keep an eye on it. Might take several tries.

Thank You very much for the reply. I will try what you have suggested.

JimK

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did the hot peroxide help you read the button.

OP
OP
JimK

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It did help, but there was not anything to read. It has no makings.

JimK

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; your button is a 1 Piece button and pre dates 1820. These buttons were generally out of use by 1820. Itvis fried. Value is 000 but nice find. PEACE:RONB

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be as early as the Revolution. By the War of 1812 most button makers wanted their names on the back, and by 1820 backmarking buttons was standard practice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread