Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a half-sphere button with what appears to be gilt on the dome part. 3/4" wide and 1/4" high at the peak of the dome. The dome is smooth with no engravings or markings other than some minor scratches. It is two-piece and is hollow (a tiny hole in the sphere allows me to look through the opening at the bottom of the shank. Back is absolutely toasted, no chance of findind any ID mark, even if there was one. Area has produced colonial period finds (square nails, ox shoes, etc. as well as junk dropped in the last couple years). Does the fact that it is two-piece limit the range of manufacturing dates? I will try to post a photo if that would help with an ID (once I figure out how to do that).
Thanks and HH
dts

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the fact that it two piece does narrow it to being no older then 1831. The back mark usually will get you possibly closer to the decade.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help.
Merry Christmas,
dts

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I believe from your description you have a button from the 1850's - 1870's era ok. They are sometimes called blowhole buttons. when they arre made the air blown into it causes the dome shape ok. Merry Christmas. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread