Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Iron Buzz
  • 1 Post By Iron Buzz

Thread: Buttons, buttons, & more buttons!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    First Detector: Garret Ace 300 Main Detector: XP Deus Most Recent Detector: Fisher F75 SE
    859 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Buttons, buttons, & more buttons!!

Some of you have probably already seen my post in the Today's Finds thread about the 19th Century police buttons I found. I found two yesterday, and went back today with a screen and found three more. But in the process, I also found a wealth of other old buttons. The area is near the Mississippi, so there were quite a few Mississippi River clam buttons there, but the majority were some sort of jet black plastic. They look carved, with very sharp lines and flat surfaces. Would these be celluloid? Bakelite? Other?

The picture isn't great, but it may help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170910_154923.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	4.91 MB 
ID:	1492794

There were also two very odd mother of pearl buttons that are not in the picture. They are quite thin, have the usual two thread holes in the center, but there are also five iron pieces arranged in a circle around the center. They go clear through, but are flattened out on one side like a nail or rivet head. make sense? If anybody has any ideas, let me know.
    devldog likes this.

Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    First Detector: Garret Ace 300 Main Detector: XP Deus Most Recent Detector: Fisher F75 SE
    859 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Tap tap tap... is this thing on?

Still waiting for a button education. Nobody? Do you need a better photo? (the black buttons are the only ones I'm asking about)
    devldog likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    354 times
    Relic Hunting
    Sorry Iron Buzz that I can't be of any help on the buttons. What I can do is tell you that you have found quite a collection of nice buttons. Did all these come from the same site?

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    1672 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I don't know much about them but I know good year made hard black rubber buttons in the 1800s i think?

Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    859 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    Sorry Iron Buzz that I can't be of any help on the buttons. What I can do is tell you that you have found quite a collection of nice buttons. Did all these come from the same site?
    Yes, they all came from a roughly 3'x3' patch, same spot I found the 5 police buttons! I'm guessing a tailor or seamstress lived nearby.

May 2013
    Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax Minelab XTerra 705
    103 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I cant tell from the pics... send me a message and show me where so I can help Im just a city away from ya! haha

Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    859 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kookiemonsta View Post
    I cant tell from the pics... send me a message and show me where so I can help Im just a city away from ya! haha
    That's a good reason to not. Hahaha!

Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    859 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    According to this (and what I see on my buttons), those are glass: Glass button, from 1876 home site

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links