Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of you have probably already seen my post in the Today's Finds thread about the 19th Century police buttons I found. I found two yesterday, and went back today with a screen and found three more. But in the process, I also found a wealth of other old buttons. The area is near the Mississippi, so there were quite a few Mississippi River clam buttons there, but the majority were some sort of jet black plastic. They look carved, with very sharp lines and flat surfaces. Would these be celluloid? Bakelite? Other?

The picture isn't great, but it may help.

20170910_154923.jpg

There were also two very odd mother of pearl buttons that are not in the picture. They are quite thin, have the usual two thread holes in the center, but there are also five iron pieces arranged in a circle around the center. They go clear through, but are flattened out on one side like a nail or rivet head. make sense? If anybody has any ideas, let me know.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tap tap tap... is this thing on?

Still waiting for a button education. Nobody? Do you need a better photo? (the black buttons are the only ones I'm asking about)

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry Iron Buzz that I can't be of any help on the buttons. What I can do is tell you that you have found quite a collection of nice buttons. Did all these come from the same site?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about them but I know good year made hard black rubber buttons in the 1800s i think?

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Iron Buzz that I can't be of any help on the buttons. What I can do is tell you that you have found quite a collection of nice buttons. Did all these come from the same site?

Yes, they all came from a roughly 3'x3' patch, same spot I found the 5 police buttons! I'm guessing a tailor or seamstress lived nearby.

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant tell from the pics... send me a message and show me where so I can help :thumbsup: Im just a city away from ya! haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread