Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got these two buttons today the small one should be hard to look up. The large one has extra gilt need advice on getting that black crud off. Any advice? IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update first Button:
I retrieved a button made of brass, the face of the button bore the image of a three legged eagle and around the rim were the words Es Devs Spes Nostra. Having as a friend a priest who speaks Latin really helped. He later told me that the words in English meant " God Is Our Hope." Further research reveled that the eagle is a Teutonic eagle. The button may have come of a Hessian soldier, mercenaries used by the British during the Revolutionary War. However, modern "blazer buttons of this type are often found"

That sucka was deep about a foot in a 1800’s Park I hope it’s the original.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update:::Ok I looked under jeweler glasses and I see JOHNSON & TINGLEY PHILADA w/ EXTRA RICH in the center. Can’t find it anywhere online. IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_2254.jpg Update Update!! Hessians /ˈhɛʃən/[1] were the 18th century German auxiliaries contracted for military service by the British government, which found it easier to borrow money to pay for their service than to recruit its own soldiers.[2] They took their name from the German state of Hesse-Kassel. The British hired Hessian troops for combat duty in several eighteenth century conflicts, but they are most widely associated with combat operations in the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783).

Update Update: if anyone can get me more information please please educate me. Johnson & Tingly were in business in 1829 View attachment 1691182

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread