Chicago, Milwaukee & St Paul RR button (and luggage tag)

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a cool button today to match a bronze luggage tag that I found a year or two ago. Mostly just posting for your enjoyment, but if anybody knows anything to help me date either of these pieces, I would be appreciative.

mbqO3Og.jpg 0cijQsQ.jpg

d2c7wkL.jpg

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I've learned since posting that this was what later became known as the Milwaukee Road. By the end of 1874, the Milwaukee & St. Paul became the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul (aka The Milwaukee Road). In 1928 the Road reorganized as the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific, and added the "P" to the official name.

I've also learned that this is a rare button among railroad button collectors. I'm supposed to be learning more tomorrow after my contact talks to a button collector friend of his.

Oh yeah... I found a 2nd one today.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(Feel like I'm having a conversation with myself in this thread LOL!)

Heard back from my contact with the Milwaukee Road Historical Association yesterday. Here's what he told me about my buttons:

Iron_Buzz, my button collector friend stopped by yesterday with his authorative button collector book. The two buttons you have are highly collectable since they are somewhat rare with the RR instead of the Ry. The button was most likely manufactured around 1882. The book has a lettered value classification system from A to G, with A the lowest collectable value. Your RR buttons are rated at an E. My buddy has a button like yours that he has had for 30 years. I showed him the photo you sent and he said that button was worth a minimum of $40 and that many collectors would pay more.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a button from that RR in LaCrosse, Wi. About 16 years back.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a nice looking button. Congrats to you on the find of the pair.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a button from that RR in LaCrosse, Wi. About 16 years back.
Same design? Apparently there were other styles made, and if I understand correctly, it is the use of the term "RR" as opposed to the usual "Ry" that makes this one rare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread