tombac buttons - how to identify??/

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I have some buttons that I have uncovered at a site that has given me coins and artifacts from the 1800's. The oldest coin I have is a large cent date 1811. The question I have is about how to identify if some of the buttons I have are tombac buttons or not. Most are flat with no words stamped on them. One has a shiny silver look to it and the shank was not attached but you can see where it used to be.

ANy help would be appreciated. If pics are needed I can post also.

Thanks

Funkman

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tombac buttons are shiny and brittle-looking. They are, in fact, brittle. The alloy they're made from (shiny looking, and reads lower than a brass button does on a detector) gives them their name. Here's a photo. Tombacs on the left:

Colonial House Site Buttons Front.jpg

Sometimes it takes a thorough cleaning to see the shiny metal underneath all the crud and corrosion. When I found these 2 on the left, they looked like iron.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Attachments

• Colonial House Site Buttons Front.jpg
    Colonial House Site Buttons Front.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,109

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some buttons that I have uncovered at a site that has given me coins and artifacts from the 1800's. The oldest coin I have is a large cent date 1811. The question I have is about how to identify if some of the buttons I have are tombac buttons or not. Most are flat with no words stamped on them. One has a shiny silver look to it and the shank was not attached but you can see where it used to be.

ANy help would be appreciated. If pics are needed I can post also.

Thanks

Funkman
yeah, lets see some pix!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread