I need help identifying these two from a 1820’s property!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys I’ve been racking my brain trying to find what these buttons are and it’s killing me I just gotta know. It appears to say JOSEPH MA???S N° 2 QUILTY View attachment 1732423 View attachment 1732424 View attachment 1732425
This one has crown one top a the word PLATED I think on the bottom . British Crown maybe . Found it a foot away from my Louisiana Pelican Coat Button I found months ago. IMG_2974.jpg IMG_2975.jpg IMG_2976.jpg Crown and prominent D IMG_2978.jpg

If you need better angle shots I’ll try my best.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are 19th century flat buttons. Made after 1800, and probably before the Civil War. Sometimes having the manufacturer's name can date them closer, sometimes not.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are 19th century flat buttons. Made after 1800, and probably before the Civil War. Sometimes having the manufacturer's name can date them closer, sometimes not.

Smokey do you think that’s British? Is there a button directory that might help me with the first one I’m sure the first name is Joseph I just don’t know how to word things well for research.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"HUH?"

Oh, I see....you didn't understand. It's the time it was settled and owned in the GREAT U.S.A.!!!
I thought he was being a wise too at first lol [emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very possibly on the English manufacturer. Local short lived English button makers in that part of the world were more common than - crawfish in the bayou! A lot of my family still lives near you.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very possibly on the English manufacturer. Local short lived English button makers in that part of the world were more common than - crawfish in the bayou! A lot of my family still lives near you.

I cleaned the gold gilt one and it’s JOESPH MANN’S w/ N°2 QUALITY on the back can’t find that name nowhere on the net.

The British Crown one was differently all silver plated with the plain front, Crown one top with the word PLATED down below. Can’t find it ugggh curiosity kills me. Lol

I wish cannonball guy saw it he’s real knowledgeable on buttons.

I really want to know date it guess. You know how I like knowing that smokey.

UPDATE!!! JOSEPH MANN'S No. 2 QUALITY (Joseph Mann buttons made in Birmingham England 1800-1843).

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth, A very nice looking button. Congrat's to you on the save. Are you sure that is a D on the buttons front of could it be some sort of a bugle? I'm sure you'll have a positive ID on this piece in the near future.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I meant to add that this is a beautiful property to hunt. You are blessed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread