Did I really find a dandy button in Minnesota!?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did I really find a dandy button in Minnesota!? That's sure what it looks like to me, but we didn't really get settled until the 1850s here, and the homestead this came from dates to 1866, I believe.
Just a hair shy of 2" in diameter, seems to have had a shaft of some sort, possibly soldered.

X6qDOIa.jpg

WWAkXdC.jpg

p5D2m91.jpg

mxB6LCS.jpg

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
61 views, and not one comment? Guess I should have posted in "What Is This?". I figured you guys would be able to help me out better over here. Are you guys always this quiet?

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a Dandy to me. The tough part was making out what the back attachment was but it looks like a bent over button shank to me. Pretty cool design on the face.

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Dandy Button to me also, with broken shank, I love finding they oversize coat buttons. Very nice design also.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw the thread. Yes, it is a dandy button, probably the last quarter of the 18th century. The American Indians would have had some from trading so that is a possibility and also, people don't throw stuff out sometimes. My grandparent's button box has button from the 18th century in it! I kept the box as is and all the buttons.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just saw the thread. Yes, it is a dandy button, probably the last quarter of the 18th century. The American Indians would have had some from trading so that is a possibility and also, people don't throw stuff out sometimes. My grandparent's button box has button from the 18th century in it! I kept the box as is and all the buttons.

Both of those are exactly the guesses that I came up with. It could be that they brought granddad's coat with them to stay warm in the Minnesota winters, or yeah, it could have been from the fur traders that were here for a century before the eventual settlers. Thanks for the confirmation (you and the others, but especially you for your thoughtful comment)

too_pointer

Apr 24, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro.
Garrett " Carrot " Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a " dandy". !!! Here in Mi. we don't have many coins that other places have, but sure happy for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
too_

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a " dandy". !!! Here in Mi. we don't have many coins that other places have, but sure happy for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
too_

I know one guy from Michigan (lower peninsula) that finds all SORTS of old coins. You have several decades over us here in Minnesota (even more if you are talking about Mackinac or the Sault)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I really find a dandy button in Minnesota!? That's sure what it looks like to me, but we didn't really get settled until the 1850s here, and the homestead this came from dates to 1866, I believe.
Just a hair shy of 2" in diameter, seems to have had a shaft of some sort, possibly soldered.

View attachment 1916818

View attachment 1916819

View attachment 1916820

View attachment 1916821
I do not know the button . BUT I would like to PRAISE you on ypour pictures. I wish everyone asking for help could see how you took the pictures with something next to it so we can visual ize the size 11 THANKS and GREAT JOB !!1!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread