Now...I need to stash my cache..where?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capt. Buzzkill said:
Hey everyone,

This should get us all thinking...

Where would you put your newly found cache? Maybe a secret vault? Keep it? Cash it out? Split? Auctions? Removing it to an undisclosed location? Sink it? Bury it?

A) HOLA: Sorry, too many varables to easily answer. That would depend upon each recovery and conditions entirely.

Jose de La Mancha (I tilt windmills)

Pieman

Jul 5, 2005
Calif
Don't need to after I report it to the government and get my 10% that I get to keep. Put that in the bank and work on the movie rights were the real money is. Yea right; Dreaming big here.

If it was gold, I would remodel the house and incorporate it behind sheetrock. Once a year or so I would have to repaint the room depending on when I need to make a withdrawl. I don't trust false doors, kids have a funny nak of finding them.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Capt. Buzzkill said:
Where would you put your newly found cache? Maybe a secret vault? Keep it? Cash it out? Split? Auctions? Removing it to an undisclosed location? Sink it? Bury it?

I'd buy a few hundred acres of land in Bumble$%&*, TX for $20/acre and bury it where no one will bother looking for it:

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-texland4aug04,1,5779912.story?coll=la-headlines-technology
Bad Lands Now Hot Property
Undeveloped -- even bleak -- parcels in a Texas county lure out-of-state buyers looking to jump into the real estate market.
By David Streitfeld, Times Staff Writer

VALENTINE, Texas? For 19 miles, most of it bumpy enough to shake your bones, State Route 2017 runs down to the Rio Grande and the Mexican border.

Drug smugglers and illegal immigrants pass through here. So do the Border Patrol agents that pursue them, and cowboys heading to a nearby ranch. No one else bothers. The land is sandy and bleak, full of gullies and rattlesnakes.

Yet this parched ground is increasing in value faster than any Manhattan duplex or Malibu villa.

In February, a California entrepreneur bought 7,408 acres for $65 an acre. He promptly sold them in small chunks to some people and in big chunks to others. Some of these buyers quickly resold to others, who resold to still others.

The pieces keep shrinking while the price keeps going up. Buyers are now paying as much as $800 an acre, 12 times the cost six months ago.

At the county clerk's office in Fort Davis, the county seat, they long ago lost track of how many new landowners Valentine has. They definitely dwarf the hamlet's population of 217. The best guess is a thousand.

There are thousands of other new owners all over sparsely populated West Texas. Nearly all the sales are for raw, undeveloped land, bought over the Internet or at seminars in distant cities.

Most of the buyers are from California, Florida, New York and other places where the cost of homes has been surging. People on the coasts, who have to spend a fortune for somewhere to live, are spending more for somewhere they can't.

After four years of real estate mania, the message has sunk in widely and deeply. Land is good. More land is better. Land will always increase in value. Every moment you don't buy you're losing money. No need to see it before buying.

There's no need to even see a photo. The most aggressive Internet auctioneers post a picture of land as lush as Ireland, and then warn on the photo itself that it has no relation to what's up for bid.

In a similar vein, they warn that they can't guarantee anything ? including the condition, accessibility or even the location of the land. How could they? They've never seen it either. They live in California too.

Why buyers are unfazed by such caveats is a topic of considerable debate and amusement here in Jeff Davis County. One theory is that the buyers are looking for a greater fool to purchase the land from them before the bubble bursts. Another possibility is that they merely want to be able to brag at their next dinner party that they own a ranch in Texas.

The most worrisome prospect: The buyers think someone's going to live here, despite the absence of water, electricity, sewers, roads and other amenities.

"You could live there in a tent, if you could find your land," said Jeff Davis County Clerk Sue Blackley. "But you'd have to helicopter everything in."

None of the locals seem to think the land is a good investment, no matter how rapidly it has been appreciating. Sure, it was smart 20 years ago to buy desert land near such boomtowns as Phoenix or Tucson. And most of Jeff Davis County is quite pleasant, so much so that it's being touted as a retirement center.

But the fact that this land is being sold off piecemeal probably guarantees that it will never have electric power or streets. Developers want to work with large tracts they control, not hundreds of small plots whose owners are unlikely to agree on what improvements they will pay for.

Developers also like to build within sight of growing cities. Valentine, however, is a long way from anywhere. El Paso is 160 miles west, San Antonio 450 miles east. That's a tough commute, even in Texas.

Services might be installed on an individual basis if the land were so stunning that people wanted to live on it. But the folks here say there's little chance of that, because the land is so ugly. They, unlike nearly all the Internet buyers, have actually seen it.

It's certainly forbidding. The mesquite trees are so stunted they're the size of bushes. There are no landmarks, so the view extends for miles, curling up into the Sierra Vieja Mountains, but the Rio Grande, a big selling point in the Internet ads, is hidden away behind a hill. The sun bleaches everything into an amber hue. There's no reason to linger.

Article continued at link posted above...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an easy one! ;D Bury it! :D ;).Seriously though,it depends on how accesible you want it to be as to how creative you become in stashing it.

K

Kentucky Kache

I know of a nice, safe, little bank. I'll be happy to send you my checking info. ;D
I don't have enough in there to steal.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SLEEP ON IT !

P H Y S I C A L L Y !

Jeff

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
SLEEP ON IT !

? ?P H Y S I C A L L Y? ? ?!

? ? ? ? ? Jeff
Haaa! :D yeah right,if it's coinage buy a waterbed and fill it.If it's paper,stuff your mattress.Just don't fall asleep with a lit cigarette! :D

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Think about pre 1964 silver coins. You can buy them at just over melt value and there easily sold or traded without bringing in the I.R.S.

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
Depends on when I may need it. I would bury it under my new concrete patio.....lol
Maybe some at a corner where I can dig under the patio to get it. I case I need some.
Then the rest towards the middle.

Come on down.......I'll set up some patio forms for you.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Im giving away a secret here, now I'll have to find a new spot. I had a Musky mounted its on my wall , if you dont know what a Musky is, it's a large fish with some very dangerous looking teeth, lots and lots of them, I just throw my valuables down his throat, many people have admired my Musky and would'nt imagine sticking their hands in his open mouth.

K

Kentucky Kache

That's a great Idea. I never thought of that. I would put It in a fire proof container first.

O

onert62

Wrap it it up tight in some sort of plastic first, then a flame retardants material bury it, in a safe or a chest that is water proof, make your own special code buy the tree or rock you bury it buy? too many variables these days

C

cm5838

in a good water tight plastic container, then tie a rope to it and hang it on the inlet tee inside your septic tank, who would want to go there, I know a guy who was a collector of guns, and when he sold one illegally that is the only place the atf didn't check, just gotta remove it before you have it pumped. just my opinion, i would not want to be digging around ina septic for the off chance there would be something in it worth keeping.
Charles

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Capt. Buzzkill said:
Hey everyone,

If I were to cache something I would select a spot in a remote area, maybe out-of-State. It would have to be an almost unbuildable site, preferably rocky. There would need to be other mountainous or other geographical features that would allow for accurate triangulation of a starting spot which I alone knew. I would then map the buried location from that spot. I would use plastic sewer pipe to store the stuff and seal the pipe. The hole would be gug with a posthole digger as deep as I could dig and the pipe lowered and buried. That way the only surface area of the cache would be the diameter of the pipe. I might attache a non-metallic string to the cap to facilitate removal.

When digging the hole I would collect all the dirt on a plastic tarp and dispose of the left over dirt far from the hole, so there would be as small an area around the cache hole that would indicate an excavation. In areas around Colorado, where I live, disturbed ground can be detected for as long as 100 years so the smaller the better.

Keep in mind that even mountains are always in a state of erosion. Rocks are always falling and generally collect along the sides of the slopes. Maybe a spot away from rockfall is better than under a ledge or on a slope. You would need to think about storms, flooding, mining activities and the worst sort, treasure hunters (us).

And would it be a site far from a road or with easy access, only you would know best. Will you visit the site often or leave it for some future time?

I believe I read about one of our good members that has trained a dog to sniff out buried plastic pipe, so that is something to think about too. And of course only you would know how much effort is worth your sense of security.

I believe there actually are contemporary caches similar to what I've described. Could be drug money or loot awaiting someones release from prison, or finalization of their divorce, or folks "waiting for the revolution" or whatever. In Denver, in the 70's, there was a horrible bank robbery with murdered victims. $50,000 was stolen and the police had a suspect but the case never was resolved. That $50k may be buried somewhere close to Denver. No trace has ever been found that I've read about. There is probably reward money. Interesting story lead though..

Azkid

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2005
I cover Arizona
ME!
I'd just sell it all :D to MY BUYER! ::)
He pays in cash, :P So. African Gold coins, :o makes wire transfers, :P
Or!
Will set a an overseas bank account for you ! 8)
Why ??? worry about having to hide it? >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread