Found: Secret Safe!!

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a pretty good one. My father is remodeling a bathroom in the mid-atlantic. A false cabinet was found under some stairs. It was anchored with dowls inserted at a vee-angle to the support boards and it had false srews that were to short to touch the wall. For all intents and purposes, it looked completely real. The cabinet had to be removed in order to complete the renovations. The workmen attempted to cut the cabinet out using a saw, but hit metal. They finally yanked the cabinet out and discovered the secret safe behind it..I know this sounds too good to be true, but while sweeping up, they found a scrap of paper with three digits on it.

They attempted, but were not able to unlock the safe. When my father and I arrived, we spent an hour spinning the dial to no avail.. I made the decision that we needed to drive into town and Google the safe's model (a 1968 Sears) to determine if there was a unique sequence to turn to get into it..You know, 4 to the left, 2 to the right etc.. So, we went back out and I figured I would fool with it for another hour, now armed with several possible sequences. Dad went to take a nap. So, I began anew the safecracking folly.

On the first attempt, I heard a click and the door swung open..... I know you all will be nearly as disappointed as I to learn that the safe was empty, and covered in a nice layer of undisturbed dust, however, there is a lesson for all of us. If you leave a secret safe behind and don't tell anyone, at least leave an old silver dollar in it for the next guy. I have never been so close, yet so far..

K

Kentucky Kache

Good story. I wouldn't mind spending some time there.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol figures it would be empty...what a rush though to find it and when that door came open! Wow! Congrats on your successful completion of safecracking 101! :wink:

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
On the brighter side.....at least you now have a safe you can open and close.

Now pay attention that you don't drop it on your foot. Then you'll REALLY have something to holler about.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Well, you know what they say, "Better Safe than Sorry". ;D

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a good one kinda like finding 7 mason jars burried in your moms back yard wrapped in cloth and not a thing inside them ,put there I guess by original owner trying to get rid of his trash ...To funny !!!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirt fishin Dale you beat me to the punch line with Geraldo Rivera...apparently ahm not as quick on the draw as my pic indicates.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Don't feel bad rjw, I was gonna use the same line about Geraldo...still a nice story.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
rjw4law said:
Dirt fishin Dale you beat me to the punch line with Geraldo Rivera...apparently ahm not as quick on the draw as my pic indicates.

Sorry bout that. Me and Geraldo have the same luck :D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good story. Too bad it was empty sure would of been nice to have something in it...Matt

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey thats my luck, actually my luck would be no numbers, days or weeks of wondering before I finally spent money to get someone to open it and then bam empty. Yep thats my luck.

Thats a cool story and a million could of beens.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Hmmm. Perhaps the empty safe is a planned diversion intended to draw you to the conclusion that there is no treasure around. Perhaps the "real" stash is hidden elsewhere.....Stan

RelicHunterSantise

Feb 4, 2009
louisville, ky
ipsilateral said:
This is a pretty good one. My father is remodeling a bathroom in the mid-atlantic. A false cabinet was found under some stairs. It was anchored with dowls inserted at a vee-angle to the support boards and it had false srews that were to short to touch the wall. For all intents and purposes, it looked completely real. The cabinet had to be removed in order to complete the renovations. The workmen attempted to cut the cabinet out using a saw, but hit metal. They finally yanked the cabinet out and discovered the secret safe behind it..I know this sounds too good to be true, but while sweeping up, they found a scrap of paper with three digits on it.

They attempted, but were not able to unlock the safe. When my father and I arrived, we spent an hour spinning the dial to no avail.. I made the decision that we needed to drive into town and Google the safe's model (a 1968 Sears) to determine if there was a unique sequence to turn to get into it..You know, 4 to the left, 2 to the right etc.. So, we went back out and I figured I would fool with it for another hour, now armed with several possible sequences. Dad went to take a nap. So, I began anew the safecracking folly.

On the first attempt, I heard a click and the door swung open..... I know you all will be nearly as disappointed as I to learn that the safe was empty, and covered in a nice layer of undisturbed dust, however, there is a lesson for all of us. If you leave a secret safe behind and don't tell anyone, at least leave an old silver dollar in it for the next guy. I have never been so close, yet so far..

You better get out there on the property. I'd bet there's somethin to be found.

Sorry to hear about the safe though. Think about the rush and adrenaline pumping when the dorr started to open. I would have fainted to see NOTHING but dust.

BEst of luck

xoxo

S

sailrunner

Okay nows your chance to take you own advice. Put something in it of value and bury it or hide it somewhere..Someone in the future will be as excited as you were to find and open the safe..Just a thought

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread