How many reasons?

K

Kentucky Kache

How many reasons can you think of that a cache would be left buried? Other than the old guy dying before he had a chance to tell his family where he hid it (which is probably the most common reason), I'd like to hear your opinions or ideas of why. I'll start off with number one.

#1. Usually the person who hid a treasure was old, so maybe they simply forgot where they hid it, or maybe even forgot hiding it.

I realize that it comes down to them dying and leaving it, but can we think of anything else, or maybe put a different spin on it?

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Another common one is that he told the family and they searched, but never found it. Here's another spin on that. Maybe he DID tell someone, but they didn't believe him, so didn't bother to look.

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I all ways thought if some one hide a cache, it was for no one to know about It. If they died before they went back to get it,then who would know anything about it.

Just a thought.............Gator-Flea

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Gater-Flea said:
I all ways thought if some one hide a cache, it was for no one to know about It. If they died before they went back to get it,then who would know anything about it.

True, but sometimes they told their secret on their deathbed.

Also, there are cases where there's only a suspicion that a person hid his money. Then, through research you try to find reasons for them to have hid it. Did he have a reason to mistrust his family? You might be surprised what you can sometimes find researching.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Here's another reason for a cache to be left behind. It was done deliberately. I have a story where a family was told they would never find the money. So, the cache was left behind in an act of revenge.

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Crazy said:
Gater-Flea said:

True, but sometimes they told their secret on their deathbed.

Also, there are cases where there's only a suspicion that a person hid his money. Then, through research you try to find reasons for them to have hid it. Did he have a reason to mistrust his family? You might be surprised what you can sometimes find researching.
Good point :thumbsup:...........Happy Hunting

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL
I have a couple of targets buried in my backyard for testing the sensitivity of my LRL equipment as it varies day to day... solar flares, K-index, all that jazz.

The larger one has about a pound of silver and three ounces of gold. Nothing huge but if I dropped dead tomorrow, no one else knows where they are located. A detector wouldn't help since the PVC pipe top is a foot below the surface and the coins/ingots are four feet down. Maybe I should draw up a treasure map or, better yet, carve a few rocks in the backyard (to add mystery) for my wife just in case?

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
AHHHH

Or just send me the directions to it and I will save your family all the headaches involved with that pesky inheritance tax... :thumbsup: Seriously, yea, I would leave them a map just in case. HH Joe

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heart attack or stroke i know one person this happen to maybe car wreck got killed nobody plans on dying so why tell?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sheesh, robbery, illegal gains , or loot also qualify. The following is 1/2 of a mule load from a 7 mule train that was assaulted. The mule drivers were killed and the coins simply dropped from the aparejos into a hole scraped in the sand of the arroyo.. They were approx. 2 ft deep when recovered.

Sorry guys, statute of limitations long gone, was in old Mexico in the early 50's. Date semi verified by that 3 ft antenae / coil from a Gardner 180.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• Treasure from a fire, dowsing, and  detector©@.jpg
    Treasure from a fire, dowsing, and detector©@.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 504
  • 8 Reales.jpg
    8 Reales.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 489
OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

While on a raiding party, a soldier enters a store and shoots the merchant. Finding a wad of money in the register, he sticks it in his pocket. Knowing he is not supposed to keep any plunder for himself, he keeps a low profile until he gets back to camp where he slips off into the woods and buries it. The soldier is killed in battle before he can return and dig up the loot, so there it remains for some treasure hunter to research and find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread