Century Old Family Cache Still Underground--Looking for Assistance

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Just an old engineers input after reading this whole post -

4 square miles....... (if I understood correctly) even if you could cover 10 square feet per second (that's a lot) would take 130 continuous hours to cover.

More realistically, with an 18" coil, zero overlap, and a 3 foot swing at the accepted rate of about 1 foot / second....... equals about 1000 hours....... >:(

On the bright side - I know most detectors will pick up a large mass quite deep - my old Radio Shack Discovery 3000 picked up a hunk of strap steel 1/2 inch thick, 4 inches wide, 3 feet long VERY consistently at about 2 - 2-1/2 feet in damp sand... :)

Best of Luck

Diggem'

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
Hi all, interesting story, now if betty wasnt supposed to have all the loot , and the family saw it, why didnt they lay there claim to a fair share?, one thing is for sure, there has to be some kinda marker you cant just bury something in the middle of a large field and find it again with out a land mark, another thing if your uncles know where the original spot was where it was buried, most likely grand daddy didnt move it far, especially by himself and because of the tremendous weight of gold and silver, so my guess is find the original spot, and get a two box and start circling your way outward from that spot it may only be 100 ft away just far enough where only grand daddy would know the new spot, tammahawk

OP
OP
G

GG

A quick update. I have returned from two days of conducting an initial search of the area using a two-box detector.

The area in question is far too large to adequately search with a single detector. The terrain is difficult with a moderate slope, rocks, sage brush and many rattle snake holes.

The most demoralizing part of the search was coming across a fair amount of old cans throughout the hillside. Too much time was spent digging for old rusted cans. We did manage to find a target over two feet deep which oddly enough turned out to be the metal door to an old stove.

I learned that the contents of the trunk is thin gold bars. There are no coins or jewelery as I was previously led to believe. The size of the target tells me that I should not be responding to every signal I hear while scanning an area. I have to believe that after finding the stove door, of which that was by far the strongest signal I had heard the entire two days, that the real target would put out a signal just as strong if not stronger.

I was told of strange occurrences and warnings about trying to find this trunk of gold. One consistent story that was told was that to be successful in finding the trunk one had to begin the search after midnight by looking for signs. The two family members that I know who have attempted to look for the trunk after midnight were scared away by freak storms.

Well, I am not one for superstition, but that first night, although we were not searching after midnight, one of the worst electrical storms hit the area in years. It was unlike anything that I have ever witnessed.

F

Frums

"begin the search after midnight by looking for signs."

This sounds like the colors that can be seen at night around a metal deposit in the ground...Different colors for different types of metals...Kinda like the Northern lights except near the ground.

The spell check does work!!!!

K

Kentucky Kache

If there was a certain time of year to go with the midnight thing,
I would say look for stars as pointers. Maybe the date the treasure
was buried.

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Have you thought of limiting your search to around the house area or starting out from there?

If the brother buried the trunk then he would want it within access of retrieval or of keeping an eye on it just like the old prospectors did with their caches. They would have it visable from a window of their cabin...

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am back in Northern Arizona now, and yes I can help you find your treasure if you still need my assistance.. Dowser

T

TreasureTales

GG has a formal way of writing. Must be well educated and having a little romp at our expense. I'm thinking this whole story is a hoax. Nice try, but I'm not biting.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
It seems as if Tammahawl offered some very sensible advice.

If depending on current technology, then there is no need for the midnight deal. After all, someone could easily view your lights from afar and monitor your movements.

I, for one, would like to hear more.

Cavers5

Pete_

Jun 13, 2006
TreasureTales said:
GG has a formal way of writing. Must be well educated and having a little romp at our expense. I'm thinking this whole story is a hoax. Nice try, but I'm not biting.
There are some things that don't add up, like in GG first post he said this property was on the CO & NM border when it was still part of Mexico, and then in a later post he said that his uncle who is still alive was with the grandfather when the treasure was buried. What year would that have been in?
I'm always up for a good story though! Some times details do change when passed through generations, maybe there is some truth to it who knows.

Pete

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Ive busted several people on here that where fakes, but GG is the real deal.
He's just like many of us who also have real lives lol. Plus Ive heard of this story before I read it here.
And GG if you see this the thin gold bars are probably Spanish, and would be worth $77,000 each, If they are the type I think they are.
Give me a call again and maybe we can get some serious research going and close in on this one.

Dano.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
My advice to you...find out the equipment you need and do it yourself...with a couple of antivenom kits of course. I just like everyone else on the forum would love to help find such a treasure, but I do not know what a large trunk full of 10K coins would do to me...again my advice...Get the equipment and zip the lips...in addition, a cache worth that much will attract a lot of attention. It will be tough to offload that stuff once you got it, not to mention keeping real pirates away (ie criminals and govt officials). The govt (probably both US and Spain) are going to try to lay claim to it. Remember...yourself or somebody you trust with your life and ZIPPED LIPS!

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the TM-808 from Whites or the Master Hunter CX Plus with the Treasure Hound Depth Multiplier from Garretts (you can get either from Kellyco Detectors). I'm am leaning toward the Garretts for cache hunting even though the Whites has a cave mode that will actually tell you if there has been a tunnel or cave that has been filled in (because the mineralization of the soil in the fill has changed). I will have one or the other by the end of January to start searching for a cache in Navarro county, Texas.

I am semi-retired, working for myself when I work, so I can take off almost anytime I want to search for treasure. If you need help, let me know.

"[email protected]"

M

Mike(Mont)

Good luck. When you give up on the two-box you might think about a good pulse induction detector and get the two meter square universal coil. You can change the shape so it is three meters wide by one meter and cover large areas of ground. Two or three square miles is a huge area and it could take a lifetime to detect. In the end a good dowser is your best chance. Even send aerial photos to a good map dowser. Check out earthgoogle.

daydreamer

Dec 22, 2005
CHICO- Northern California
Detector(s) used
anything handy
;D
I agree, the pulse induction detector would do the job, I had a whites that would detect a nail two feet deep.

If the rumor of a night marker exists, I would go on a full moon, and clear night and look for shadows that are near the old house, should be able to see any "pointers" with the naked eye and go easy on the flashlights.

Just a thought - why would you need any help at all ? I would do the whole project alone.

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
Long read .. but I made it all the way through.

I am with Pete on this one. GG did say the treasure was from the time when area was still owned
by Mexico. United States acquired this land ( New Mexico and Arizona) after the war with Mexico (1848)

So if uncle helped the grand father hide the treasure, and he is still alive, would make him around 160 years old. Maybe there is more to this story we are not hearing. Did the grand father relocate the gold, maybe in the 1950's or 60's ? Why does GG call it "Century old family cache"

I can understand the story being jumbled, I have two gold cache stories in my family and both are a little different depending on who in the family I talk with. For me I am waiting for a couple of relatives, to not be around before I go looking. If not there would be a big family fight over what will be found.

As for LRL, I to have to go with what I have seen with my own eyes. I was member of a big MD club in Virgina.
We were contacted by a guy who told us he was making great finds with his LRL. He came to give us a demo one weekend. He set up the test by putting 10 different magazines around the yard. He went out of site and had us put a silver quarter in one of the magazines. He was suppose to tell us which magazine the quarter was in. He never could. After he gave up I asked him why his LRL did not find the 40 Oz's of silver I had in my coat pocket ( two rolls of silver eagles). We never saw him again.

Just my two cents ... but we all know there is treasure out there ... and I do hope GG finds some.

Tom

m.zuma

Nov 4, 2006
Hi GG, I own a Fisher Gemini-3 two box detector and a Whitet's MXT with a 14" deepscan coil. With the Gemini-3 you have the choice of two types of searching. [1.] A narrow scan with the boxes attached. [2.] A wide scan with the boxes detached. With the wide scan, you must have the transmitter and the reciever a minimum of 30' apart. This detector will detect a large item such as a chest of gold and silver down to aprox. 10' to 15 '. Plus you can use this to cover alot of ground in a grid type search of an area. As far as the narrow scan is concerned, this can be used to pinpoint after the initial grid search has been accomplished and with the two boxes attached the depth you can get is approx. 5' to 10 ' in depth on such a large item. Also we must not forget that a hole is a hole no matter when it was dug. Use all the information you have plus your intuition as to where you would choose to bury this treasure if it were up to you to decide. Take in all that there is through the senses, most of all the sixth sense. [ intuition ] You obviously have to start somewhere. Good Luck, Monte P.S. I live in Colorado. Antonito is about a 5 hr. drive for me if you need a hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread