Century Old Family Cache Still Underground--Looking for Assistance

G

GG

Due to limited space, I can only offer the cliff notes version of a story that has endured for over 100 years.

I have a family, settled many generations ago along the border of CO & NM when it was Mexican territory. They came from Spain with all of their wealth in the form of Gold Coins and Silver Bars. These hard assets were kept in three trunks by three brothers and buried. The brothers amassed a fortune in land, sheep and commercial buildings over the generations.

26 years ago one of the trunks was uncovered by a distant cousin Betty. Her grandfather, who was a descendant of one of the brothers, revealed the secret to her in his final hours. I saw a portion of this treasure when I was 17. Betty was in town to meet with a private collector willing to pay cash for many of the gold coins and silver. I saw something very few people will ever see. There were stacks of very old pure gold coins with some Spanish insignia on them numbering well over 200. Also, many bars of pure silver. My mom offered to pay $200 just for one of the coins, and Betty refused since she was expecting to receive over $10K per coin. Betty currently jet sets in Europe.

I have recently gained access to the land in which one of the trunks (largest of the three) is located. We are talking roughly a 2-3 mile square area, rocky terrain, sloped with many rattlesnacks. Not sure how deep the trunk is buried. I am in need of proper equipment and council to start the hunt by Fall. Visiting area this weekend for additional reconnaissance.

M

mattjd

I'd love to help, but I'm only 15! Ha Ha Ha!

Anyways, if I were you I'd just buy a good metal detector and search the entire acreage.

HH MattJD

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
need some help, lol chances are a cache your are stating is buried well below the average depth a detector will go. You could get a specialty detector that is made to detect deeper. Im not familiar with these, but i know the gti 2500 has an attachment that allows you to go down to 15 ft. There are detectors taht go deep, someone will be able to help you. Id check if there were caves on the land, any unusual landmarks and things like that to help narrow down the search. If you find this can i buy a coin for 200 lol. Good luck with your search, i wish i could be of more help

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I did a little research, i dont know how much you wanna spend but if the treasure is there, you couldnt spend the amount of money that you will gain. www.kellycodetectors.com, the brand lorenz makes deepseeking detectors that go up to 40 ft, or so they claim, i dont think anyone buried a treasure that deep with a shovel. So that should be sufficient. Im sure there are more informed people on here but im just giving my $.02 and i expect change ;D If i can be of any help let me know, oh and ill western union you the 200 for that coin ;D ;D

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
That sounds like way too much fun but Ohio would be a bit too much of a commute!

I've attached the picture of the attachment that Garrett sells.

Dudes

Attachments

• 2 box detector.jpg
    2 box detector.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 11,474

pickaback

Jul 12, 2005
PA
G.G.,
Did Betty at least share details of her find with family members, such as how many feet deep it was found, near a landmark, what the chest was made out of, etc. The three brothers may have used the same hiding "style" of hiding.
Please keep up udated on the search!
pickaback

t bird

Greenie
Aug 19, 2005
the discovery tf 900 2 box detector is supposed to be great for that kind of searching. it will detect objects at great depth, plus it has a cave mode that allows it to detect caves, tunnels and wells, etc. anyway, keep us posted on your adventure! tim in eastern ky

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with t bird,get a good 2 box detector,and try to get as many details of the first find as possible as pickaback said.Definitely keep us posted.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i would agree, the price of a good deepseeker will be nothing compared to the value of a trunk full of gold coins,,,,,,if you dig it up you will most likely forget the detector, leave it there and not think of it again for several weeks............ha, just kidding.......but seriously, buy a good unit,,,,,,, many shops will now rent these out for 25-45 dollars a day.............if you are unable to do this , there are several posters here that are in your area, and i am sure if you have enough proof or research so as they know you really have something there,,,,,,,they would more than happy to help for a fair, and honest percentage...............gldhntr

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Where in New Mexico or Colorado are we talking about? I live in Clovis, NM, about 2.5 hours drive from the NM/CO border.

OP
OP
G

GG

Thanks for all the great advice. To answer some of your questions.

The location is South of Antonito.

Betty was not willing to share much of any information about the trunk since it was supposed to be a secret. The family did not intend for her to possess the trunk all for herself. There was rumor that she acquired the trunk after all of this money started showing up. It wasn't until my family actually saw a portion of the treasure that it was confirmed it was in her possession. She is in London currently, not sure if I can even get in contact.

As far as confirmation, I have two uncles, still living, who traveled with their grandfather in a horse drawn wagon to bury the trunk. They remember seeing an amount of gold in the trunk that blinded them from the glimmer. However, when the two of them went to look for the trunk, it was moved. Apparently, their grandfather didn't even trust them with having knowledge of the whereabouts of this trunk.

The family knows that trunk existed because nobody trusted the banks with their money, and as I said in the original message, these were very wealthy men. Now, I know the trunk has yet to be found because my uncle who currently owns the land has made several attempts trying to find it. I myself was part of a treasure hunting party when I was only 14. We had hand held detectors that did not work. Nobody has attempted to do a full scale survey of the land with real technology.

Another thing I failed to mention, the house in which they lived in still stands. Some believe that the treasure could be under the house, but everyone is fearful of the house due to reported haunting. The elders in my family are very superstitious. I was playing with the idea of spending a night in the house with a clairvoyant. I was planning on filming this whole adventure for potential documentary material--especially if we find the trunk.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
look for depressions, like you sould see in anold graveyard. and get a good 2 box detector

being south of san antonio you might be able to persude an oil company to do a geological survey of your land to see if you have any oil about and that should turn up a cached trunk

if you do find the trunk, is Betty's family going to come after you? She maybe out of the country for a while like, forever.

pickaback

Jul 12, 2005
PA
Of course, your ancestors may have been thinking, "What better way to keep people away from our treasure could there be than spreading word that the house is haunted!" ;)
pickaback

shiva

Greenie
Aug 24, 2005
I am picking up a 2 box detector in the next month or so for a cache I am researching in my area (well relatively so). Feel free to drop me a line if you are looking for help and have a more solid timeline. I work 4 days a week, and have 3 off, which makes any vacation time I take nice and padded. I don't think it would take more than 2-3 days to cover what seems to be a 2-3 mile area with a couple of 2 box detectors.

14carat

Sep 5, 2005
Where treasure is concerned it is best to take time to study out the topography yourself, and make a drawing of land formation, where sometimes you can mentally retrace steps that someone else took to hide treasure. Relying on someone else to find your treasure can be costly, as it was to my family, by those that purported to help, but had plans to steal instead. Buy youself some good equipment, and give it a good try youself, as there is books in libraries, and some books available on searching for hidden treasure.

OP
OP
G

GG

This will be strictly a two man operation myself and my assistant. The land has limited access since it is private. If the trunk is there, I intend to be in an out within 4 days. I have county records, the existing house, and my uncles input to define the area in question. I intend to scan every square foot, and not rely on typographical patterns. This 50 year old story of this missing trunk will finally be put to rest in either finding it or not finding it.

labato

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
You say you have input from your uncles. Do you have input from all the other members of the family, and that includes you? You would help yourself greatly if you considered a genealogy approach to your problem. You might consider a magtometer.
I wish you luck.

shiva

Greenie
Aug 24, 2005
GG - So did you find someone local to you, etc for the assistant or are you still looking for a partner? Also, what equipment are you going to be using, etc. If nothing else, please keep us posted...everyone wants to find the once-in-a-lifetime stash, and barring that some of us can live vicariously through you! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread