Gold Bars?

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Is there a place I can learn about them? Like when someone says "gold bar(s)", is there a set standard on weight and size? Or could it mean any number of different weights without knowing the specific history like where the bars came from, time frame and such as that? Read on another post somewhere about somebody coming out of some mountains every now and then with a gold bar. So I suppose they must be heavy for to carry only one?

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II & Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also like to know what would be " the Average " for a Spanish Bara De Oro .

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO If poured for official mule transportation in a collection center, then they could run to 45 kilos each, but generally smaller. The reason for this size was that it was much harder for minor theft and easier to pack and balance the load..

Silver many times was simply poured into a crude mold in the ground, up to 500 # and transported by carretta. Try to run away with a 500# silver blob hehehe.

A normal max mule load in Mt country was 90 kilos. = Kilos x 2.2 approx. 190# avdp. Two max bars, one per side.

Fineness was extremely variable, in general estimate that it was 60 - 75 % i.e. .600 .750

Don Jose de La Mancha

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more silly question. How much would a 45 Kilo Gold bar be worth on Today's Market.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
VICTORIO said:
One more silly question. How much would a 45 Kilo Gold bar be worth on Today's Market.

45 kilograms = 1 446.7836 troy ounces 1446.78 X $858.72 = $1,242,378.92

1 million two hundred and forty two thousand three hundred and seventy eight dollars and ninety two cents

:coffee2: Gary

PS. not a silly question

P

pippinwhitepaws

why am i reminded of that scene from Kelly's Heros?

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peerless67

After reading your post above, You just motivated me to keep pounding the desert and dodging snakes for all of " 2009 ".

Thanks !!!

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Peerless67 said:
VICTORIO said:

45 kilograms = 1 446.7836 troy ounces 1446.78 X $858.72 = $1,242,378.92

1 million two hundred and forty two thousand three hundred and seventy eight dollars and ninety two cents

:coffee2: Gary

PS. not a silly question

X 500 = $621,189,460.00... :icon_biggrin: Might as well think big while we're thinking :icon_farao:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen:

45 kilos x 32.1507 = 1446.78 oz troy, x 65% Au = 940.4 oz troy payable @ $800 = $752,320 aprox.
or $1,504,640 $US a mule load.

If you can live with that, have fun

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s 500 ????.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on what stage of the gold's journey back to Spain it was on. After refinement at a major Official Smelter, they were typically about 20 kilos. Those bars would also have been stamped for fineness, weight, ownership, assayer, etc. They were then loaded onto ships bound for either Spain (East Coast) or the Philippines (West Coast). That's why all the sunken ship treasure bars are stamped.

Before that, the most common size was called a finger bar. They weigh usually about 2-3 pounds, and vary in fineness according to the purity of the rough smelted gold ore.

A book you will want to get is called "Spanish Treasure Bars". It is fairly expensive (about $45), but is a great resource.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Real de Tayopa said:
Gentlemen:

45 kilos x 32.1507 = 1446.78 oz troy, x 65% Au = 940.4 oz troy payable @ $800 = $752,320 aprox.
or $1,504,640 $US a mule load.

If you can live with that, have fun

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s 500 ????.

Question was for a gold bar wasn't it? Multiplied by 500 bars! ;D

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
500 bars of gold 50 Lbs each. :tongue3: I can't Think to those Levels..... YET !!!!! :thumbsup:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..............and I'm not sure about the gold content in Arkansas Gold, but in Cali, it varies from almost pure in NorCal to (usually) about 70% gold/15% silver/10% copper/5% other metals in SoCal.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
There is not much but rumors of Spanish explorers finding any natural gold in Arkansas. Some places are proving to have invisible gold in uncommon places in ores so perhaps the Spanish did better than originally thought! There are though several accounts of Spanish making their way through Arkansas with mule trains of gold from other regions West en route to the Mississippi River. How many of them are true? No way of knowing other than some documents of some such expeditions.

Arkansas is fairly famous though for outlaw activity and Civil War related caches. I live a few miles North of published findings, perhaps those are true, perhaps not. Some believe and some don't. I believe there are caches of gold and silver all over the South, North, East and West. Many are in what was once wilderness and now paved over with concrete and asphalt. Perhaps in one's own back yard! You just never know until you look. ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evening Arkie: You posted -->

Question was for a gold bar wasn't it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, and the answer was given (very approx.) in my post

"45 kilos x 32.1507 = 1446.78 oz troy, x 65% Au = 940.4 oz troy payable @ $800 = ""$752,320"" approx. "

As for 50, simply click on your calculator in the computer and "X", or convince Gullum to take off his shoes.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. a prime point to ask yourself to help locate it, is " where is a region near by capable of producing this much gold."

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Arkie: About your "hypothetical "gold bars, I have the exact same problem, so far it hasn't been solved. There is no way that you can recover and dispose of them illegally. Sorry. that is just too much materiel to go unnoticed. To move and dispose of it would require too many people, sooner or later, one of them will talk, and the statute of limitations does not apply on that under the terrorist bill.

If you ever run into such a posibility, I would suggest delicately feeling your way on handling it legally for the lot, or simply take what you can carry. Leave the rest for the gov't and whomever, considering that you have paid what ever tax may be due.. Course "they" might not consider it so hehehe.

This is known as the "Having a Tiger by the tail".

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread