Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Curtis said:
On the subtopic of slavery, most people do not know that Indians had slaves too! This included white, black and Indian slaves! They captured them and then traded/ransomed/sold them to whites and other Indians. I can back this up if anyone needs it. The majority of the black salves came from Africa of course...but something most people do not hear about black history is that the slaves were captured and sold by their fellow countrymen! Yes it was horrible no matter what but let’s put part of the blame on those who first sold people to traders! I know ...if the whites didn't have a market for them they would not have been sold. I don't know any of you but there is no way I would sell you, my countrymen. I know these were rough times and people were not the same as they are now...and I have the benefit of slavery not being acceptable for over 150 years. That is why Obama or anyone else that advocates reconstitution gets my hackles up....they need to get the funds from those who sold them first not me. Neither I nor any of my ancestors had slaves, so they do not put any part of that sinful trade on back to repay. Just for the record I am not a racist I have grandchildren and nieces and nephews that are bi-racial! Sorry for the hijack Gray cloud, but this is part of the discussion I guess.
I think everyone knows this stuff. Did you even notice the snake pictures? Nobody is blaming anyone. Americans are certainly not the only peoples to have slaves. This thread is not about slavery but somehow several members (not just you) feel that they have to defend themselves. :o I dont quite understand it all. ??? A small mention in a link of blacks escaping from southern plantations to join the Seminoles and several members find this offensive? ??? What is this? ...guilty concienses? I dont find it offensive at all. Its part of Florida history and we cant change it. Southern plantations utilized slaves and thats a fact and some escaped to Florida. Im not going to apologize for posting the link. Sorry. I wish I could remove it now and I wouldnt have posted the link if I had known this would happen. Just my 2 cents. I apologize only to Sabre15.

Heres the link that caused the problem. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/03/15/a1a_riverbend_0316.html

Seminoles staged bold uprising

JUPITER — A small group of Seminoles had everything at stake when they fought more than 1,500 U.S. troops and volunteers at the Loxahatchee River in 1838.

If defeated, the Seminoles would be forced to head west to Oklahoma reservations on the Trail of Tears. Their black allies, who joined the Seminole cause after escaping from Southern plantations, could be sold back into slavery.

When the United States bought Florida from Spain in 1821, it was a haven for American Indians, who had been pushed out of more settled areas, and black fugitives, who risked their lives to escape slavery. The Seminoles harbored hundreds of black runaways, some of whom had served in Spanish militias. Many of the black Seminoles could speak the native languages along with English and Spanish.

President Andrew Jackson scoffed at the treaties the U.S. had signed granting land in Florida to the Seminoles and ordered them west to Oklahoma. But the Seminole wars were fought not just to take land for white settlers, but to protect the institution of slavery. Maj. Gen. Thomas Jesup warned that if the Seminoles were not removed, more slaves would escape to join the resistance.

"This, you may be assured, is a negro, not an Indian, war," Jesup wrote, "and if it be not speedily put down, the South will feel the effects of it on their slave population before the end of the next season."

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the record I do not feel guilty...didn't do anything nor my ancestors so whats to feel guilty about I am mad that these freaks want to take my money and give it to someone else...Communism no matter how you say it...same with welfare and all the entitlements. I did notice the snake picture...hard to believe they get that big here in the US. Just another nonnative specie that will disrupt the balance ofthings in nature here..do the Sierra Club and other greenies care? Not likely. They may have turned em loose trying to get rid of soutern Conservatives! What do you guys/gals think about the amount of money that could be out there? Didn't the Confederacy Treasury become almost completely depleted before the end of the war?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SWR said:
bigcypresshunter said:
When the United States bought Florida from Spain in 1821

Just to be historically correct here...the United States did not "buy" Florida from Spain :wink:
When did we buy it? :P

We forced them to sell. Its not as simple as a 3 letter word, but we paid 5 million to cover damages to Spanish citizens for Spanish Florida. Ceded might be a better word. http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/jd/16320.htm

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Curtis said:
Just for the record I do not feel guilty...didn't do anything nor my ancestors so whats to feel guilty about I am mad that these freaks want to take my money and give it to someone else...Communism no matter how you say it...same with welfare and all the entitlements. I did notice the snake picture...hard to believe they get that big here in the US. Just another nonnative specie that will disrupt the balance ofthings in nature here..do the Sierra Club and other greenies care? Not likely. They may have turned em loose trying to get rid of soutern Conservatives! What do you guys/gals think about the amount of money that could be out there? Didn't the Confederacy Treasury become almost completely depleted before the end of the war?
Thanks for your opinion.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SWR said:
"Spain ceded East Florida to the United States and renounced all claim to West Florida. Spain received no compensation, but the United States agreed to assume liability for $5 million in damage done by American citizens who rebelled against Spain."

Spain traded Florida for Texas, and some other stuff. $5 million dollars was the cap...not what was paid. The monies was paid to people living in Florida. Not Spain
Thats what I said:
bigcypresshunter said:
we paid 5 million to cover damages to Spanish citizens for Spanish Florida. Ceded might be a better word. http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/jd/16320.htm
Yes, the 5 million dollars were for damages to Spanish citizens living in Florida (NOT those living in Spain). I assumed that was understandable. I even included a government link with the complete explanation.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I didnt write the link that says we "bought" Florida from Spain but if you were the author, SWR, what single word would be better suited to explain how we obtained Florida? "Bought", "traded", "ceded" or other?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
this changed the glade forever

Geography sentenced south Florida to total dependence on rainfall. To make this water state more inhabitable, through the years, engineers and water managers attempted to control the water. For more than a century, from 1850 to 1950, the solution was to dredge and drain the "swamp". After years of severe hurricanes, then drought, then more deadly storms, Florida asked the federal government for a master plan to tame nature's excesses
In 1948, the U.S. Congress authorized the largest civil works project in the country. Construction began the next year and continued for over 20 years as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built a massive plumbing system called the Central and Southern Florida (C&SF) Flood Control Project. The project stretches from just south of Orlando to Florida Bay. It consists of 1,800 miles of canals and levees and 200 water control structures. It includes 16 major pump stations to send water south and through waterways eastward and westward to both coasts.
http://glades.sfwmd.gov/empact/home/02_everglades/02_history.shtml

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Inmteresting, thing is though the state should have never got the feds involved!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
cw0909 said:
this changed the glade forever

Geography sentenced south Florida to total dependence on rainfall. To make this water state more inhabitable, through the years, engineers and water managers attempted to control the water. For more than a century, from 1850 to 1950, the solution was to dredge and drain the "swamp". After years of severe hurricanes, then drought, then more deadly storms, Florida asked the federal government for a master plan to tame nature's excesses
In 1948, the U.S. Congress authorized the largest civil works project in the country. Construction began the next year and continued for over 20 years as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built a massive plumbing system called the Central and Southern Florida (C&SF) Flood Control Project. The project stretches from just south of Orlando to Florida Bay. It consists of 1,800 miles of canals and levees and 200 water control structures. It includes 16 major pump stations to send water south and through waterways eastward and westward to both coasts.
http://glades.sfwmd.gov/empact/home/02_everglades/02_history.shtml
Yes and they realized trying to tame mother nature was a huge mistake and now they want to fill it all back in to restore the natural water flow. What a huge waste of money. Water is Floridas most valuable resource and it slowly flows south by gravity. We dont need all those canals levees and pump stations. Mother nature had a perfect system. The only dike we need to keep is around Lake Okeechobee.

The constant water flow makes this region unlike any other swamp. The swamp water is clean filtered and drinkable. Its a slow moving wide river; a "river of grass."

Attachments

• historic_flow.jpg
    historic_flow.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 368

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many great stories. It is so true that many treasures are bury on government land, and the government won't let you search, which makes you outrages, but there is not much you can do. The same things going on in Connecticut. Best of Luck to all of you.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many great stories. Research before searching for treasure. I live in Bridgeport Connecticut.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
goldhunter-Are you the one looking for investors to go after this gold? I went to the site you listed (Evergladeslostgold) and read the story. Sorry, I am not an investor. I do believe I may know the location of the gold. It is on land within sight of I-75. It is on Indian land. In the past, about 2 years ago, I made some phone calls to try to get permission to work with them. I was willing to show them the location if I could video the dig and get some sort of reward. They would only be interested if I could provide "proof" that the gold was where I think it is. I don't think this location is the same place listed in your story. If you know of someone within the tribe that would be interested, I would like to meet with them. You can be as involved as you want. I was told they have their own GPR and backhoes.

goldhunter61

May 26, 2012
Hi a friend of mine told me about the website, that he had joined and donated so I figured I'd give it a shot to. What's 10.00 it's like playing the lottery! If I get any further info I'll let you know.

jabo30

Jul 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets make this thread alive again. just spent some time at work going through it all. I also live here in Ft Lauderdale and have some connections. Anyone interested?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread