Confederate Gold-Stories of others and any Help with this one

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Anybody been looking into this one, anyone have any research to share or is this a spoof?

The Florida Everglades is the area of a well documented lost treasure. Near the end of the Civil War, a Confederate paymaster being pursued by Union troops buried a million-dollar payroll, $200,000 in gold coins and the remainder in paper currency. Records reveal he wrote, “Chased by the enemy, we buried our payroll at a point in the Everglades at a junction of two creeks, where the land rises like a camel’s back. The money is buried in the west hump of the rise.” The area is somewhere between Alligator Alley and State Road 41 in the Seminole Indian Reservation.

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Extremely unlikely. My source here is "Flight into Oblivion" by A. J. Hanna. The gold coin supposedly buried would exceed that in the entire Confederate treasury. Assuming the story to be miraculously true, you would need to search under the worst imaginable conditions in the Everglades National Park or the Miccosukee Indian Reservation.

Chip V.
P.S. Read Flight into Oblivion for a dollar-for-dollar account of the Confederate treasury.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, these are the tales that make you break into a sweat, you start gettin the fever, cant wait to get out there and find....but then again there was that Fisher guy and the Atocha....if it could only be us!

mindspark

Greenie
Mar 6, 2009
Re: Confederate Gold-Stories & Everglades Lost Gold

I am new to this forum, but have been reading it for some time but only joined recently. It is amazing on how much misinformation circulates. As far as the lost gold in the everglades; there may have been two separate incidents or have been actually the same. One was transporting 500,000 in 20 dollar gold pieces from the New Orleans mint to Havana. (Supposedly KGC) They got lost and "I think" the shipment was split up and buried at a few separate locations. The second story is that they were transporting $200,000.00 in payroll and got lost, being chased by the enemy, burying the gold at a junction of two creeks. (not Shark and Harney rivers) Between Alligator Alley and SR41. I spent 10 years looking for both of these and can tell you a five square mile area that is definitely not in. But if you are looking for one of them, the last camping place of the Confederates was on an island in the Big Cypress called Horseshoe Head. This was discovered by Hully Sterling who was giving flying lessons out of Ft Lauderale in 1949 when he spotted Royal Poincania trees (not native to the region) Flying closer he saw the remnants of cabins. It took him 3 days by airboat to find the place and when he did, he found Confederate stamped "CSA" items left behind. This was supposedly the last camping place. I rented an airplane and found the head myself back in the 80's and have a video of it. It is 8 miles south of alligator alley. You can google it. (Go across alligator alley west from the beginning and about halfway you come to a canal with a pumping station on the north side of the road. On the south side a dirt road runs next to the canal south for about 7 miles and turns east. Just south of the east road 1 mile there is a big hammock (island) that is Horseshoe Head. It used to be a pineapple plantation back in 1860's. This was probably the Confederates last camping spots. This is where the cabins were found. Now that I told you, here's the catch... it is on the Seminole Indian Reservation, and they do not like anyone on it. You could end up as alligator food for being and doing something they don't care for. You will also need an airboat to get there. I had a connection who would get me there with a few trusted Indians with airboats and make everything OK for a cut, but if I ever were to actually find it, I think I would end up being reported lost in the everglades. So, I decided not to do it.

Now the other gold shipment or payroll is on Federal Land. One of the locations is less than 1000 feet from alligator alley. Federal Land, fenced, posted, swamp, snakes and alligators. But it is there. Actually seen the map of the locations back in 1984. Long, long story of were the map came from. A treasure hunter friend of mine was contacted by an attorney to contract salvage rights for his client who's father left him the map. The client was 78 in 1984. My friend lived on the west coast and contacted me to determine the feasibility. Not knowing the location I needed something to determine the effort required. So the old fellow snapped some pictures of the map. It was about 3' x 4' and an original. Then took close ups of a few locations and cut them out so there was no reference to the rest of the map and sent them to me. He sent me a picture of the map he took at a distance so as not to reveal anything. I had it blown up at a photography studio and bam there it all was. I was also able to identify the locations after comparing the cut outs to the same copy of the map I got from the historical society.

I said I would do it and then he says, "OK, now let's contact the government so I can legally claim it" I told my friend to tell him if he does that he loses it all. And that is were we parted ways. I doubt seriously he ever did anything with the map and the area is so treacherous for someone that age, who by now is 103 or dead. So the stuff is probably still there. Great Story eh? I had the gold bug bite me and I was fanatic over it for 10 years. I even gave away my detectors and quit altogether. I still like to research and read the forums.

Oh yeah, the Calico Jack treasure... I been there too. It is in the Everglades National Park. They take a dim view of detectors. You need a boat to get there. If you get caught, they take the detector, and the boat and throw you in jail. The islands are nothing more than mangrove islands with perhaps a small bit of land in the center. You would have to climb over mangrove roots to get to the center. Wouldn't be able to swing a detector unless you burnt everything off. I camped at the Canepatch (a park campsite) and once supposedly used by pirates and plumehunters. Didn't get much sleep because an alligator came up on shore around our tent. The only way I would go look for the Calico Jack treasure is if I had a map with an x marks the spot and was signed by him personally... not this lifetime. If you ever been the the everglades during mosquito season, you can be drained of all your blood in an hour.

Hope you enjoyed reading of my exploits...

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello mindspark. I enjoyed reading your post. Its nice to talk to someone that has been there and done that. :thumbsup: Have you heard the story of Indian head pennies coming up out of the well in about 1958 and do you think there is a connection?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Whats the story with the Calico Jack treasure? Myth or is it serious?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
sabre15 said:
Whats the story with the Calico Jack treasure? Myth or is it serious?
The area in question was used by pirates and plume hunters. Like mindspark said, it is an extremely remote area, no fresh water, all mangroves, you need a boat, can camp at Canepatch, but possesion of a metal detector is a problem. If you go anytime other than winter, you will have a bigger problem. :D big gnat.gif thgnat.gif big gnat.gif

Attachments

• big gnat.gif
    big gnat.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 3,154
  • thgnat.gif
    thgnat.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,975
  • big gnat.gif
    big gnat.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 3,143

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
sabre15 said:
Try convincing SWR!
Dont even try because SWR has already made up his mind. He is entitled to his opinion, but he will not be of any help in this quest.

Ask and you shall receive! ;D This is a good example of not giving up. These posts are readily available on Google and the other search forums. You never know who is lurking incognito and may decide to help if you keep asking. Its a small world. TN is about sharing and this is a good example.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
folks are free to chase their dream -- some dreams are real (ask mel fisher) ---some are a bogus waste of time ask the other folks that also sought the atocha where it wasn't --- even mel spent a lot of wasted time looking in the wrong place due to a simple "east / west " mistranslation of directions by one of his "hired" translators .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
trust me if you found "confederate gold" on us federal land (near alligator ally) and contacted them for "permits" to get it "legally" and thus having to give up the location to get said permits --- you would be kissing it goodby --the us govt once the location was known would step in and claim "rights" over it and seize it all -- since all belongings of the csa govt became "forfiet" to the us govt due to their "surrender" thus now its "lost" us govt property --and no you can not have any of it ---

and the money on the res -- is in effect "us govt money" on a native americans nation land --- double whammy so if A doesn't get you B will . ( and upon finding it you might very well go "missing") if using local guide types

both areas are nasty dangerous places seldom gone to even with todays modern gear .

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Alligator Alley was turned into I-75 when they raised the highway bed and added another 2 lanes. The end result is a fence on both sides that cannot be climbed over. A few years back, I observed a man going through a hole in the fence near the location in question. Naively I asked the Park Ranger who was questioning me, "what was this man doing?". I usually mind my own business. The ranger promptly handed me back my ID and jumped in his car and raced to the location of the hole in the fence. This area is heavily patrolled and will be a problem for anyone seeking access. They also have cameras in places.. I spoke with the Rangers and permission to search has been requested and promptly denied. They are aware of the situation. :'(

Keep in mind that Park Rangers do not have to abide by the search and seizure laws of the police. My experience has been that they can, and will, search anytime they want. They can be very tough and you can lose your vehicle.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I changed my mind. SWR you are helping. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup: The more people that think this is fantasy, the better. We cant have a treasure crazed mob of otherwise good people cutting holes in fences.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
only those who know how to treasure hunt "hard" targets -- military style need apply :wink: to try for these treasures if they are where we think they are. ::)

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Well this was going to be a "tag" post but I have to add my two shekels.

First - I think SWR is basically a good guy at heart, and he is trying to help in his own way, by saving fellow treasure hunters from going on a total wild goose chase. He wants to see good documentation etc to prove such a story has a basis in reality. Keeping such a skeptical mind is a good thing, when not carried to extremes. A serious treasure hunter ought to withhold judgement on any treasure story until at least some kind of documentation and/or evidence can be found to back it up.

The stories of Confederate gold in Florida do at least seem to have a basis in fact. Several CSA government officials did in fact flee across Florida to escape to Cuba and elsewhere, and they did have Confederate gold in fairly large quanitities when they were in Georgia, but did not have most of it by the time they arrived in Cuba or other foreign sanctuaries. That they hid at least some of this gold and silver in Florida seems a foregone conclusion, but finding it is the trick. Florida was also used by several blockade runners who made tremendous profits in their illicit and risky business, it is possible that some stories of CSA treasure in Florida in truth could be traced to these war profiteers.

Anyway I must respectfully disagree with our amigo SWR, I do not believe this story is in any way a "fantasy story" - rather it may have some detail garbled, a result of re-telling, treasure writers exaggeration etc. Someone may be able to find some of this loot, with due diligence, hard work and a lot of luck.

Please do continue gentlemen, the discussion thus far is quite fascinating! :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

PS - WELCOME TO TREASURENET Mindspark! You are among friends here, please do continue!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Re: Confederate Gold-Stories & Everglades Lost Gold

mindspark said:
This was discovered by Hully Sterling who was giving flying lessons out of Ft Lauderale in 1949 when he spotted Royal Poincania trees (not native to the region) Flying closer he saw the remnants of cabins. It took him 3 days by airboat to find the place and when he did, he found Confederate stamped "CSA" items left behind.
Is this the same Hully Sterling that scattered Malelueca seeds over the glades from his airplane? I think his father owned a nursery in Davie. http://www.bioone.org/doi/pdf/10.2179/05-27.1

PS would love to see your video.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
mindspark said:
I am new to this forum, but have been reading it for some time but only joined recently. It is amazing on how much misinformation circulates. As far as the lost gold in the everglades; there may have been two separate incidents or have been actually the same. One was transporting 500,000 in 20 dollar gold pieces from the New Orleans mint to Havana. (Supposedly KGC) They got lost and "I think" the shipment was split up and buried at a few separate locations. The second story is that they were transporting $200,000.00 in payroll and got lost, being chased by the enemy, burying the gold at a junction of two creeks. (not Shark and Harney rivers) Between Alligator Alley and SR41. I spent 10 years looking for both of these and can tell you a five square mile area that is definitely not in. But if you are looking for one of them, the last camping place of the Confederates was on an island in the Big Cypress called Horseshoe Head. This was discovered by Hully Sterling who was giving flying lessons out of Ft Lauderale in 1949 when he spotted Royal Poincania trees (not native to the region) Flying closer he saw the remnants of cabins. It took him 3 days by airboat to find the place and when he did, he found Confederate stamped "CSA" items left behind. This was supposedly the last camping place. I rented an airplane and found the head myself back in the 80's and have a video of it. It is 8 miles south of alligator alley. You can google it. (Go across alligator alley west from the beginning and about halfway you come to a canal with a pumping station on the north side of the road. On the south side a dirt road runs next to the canal south for about 7 miles and turns east. Just south of the east road 1 mile there is a big hammock (island) that is Horseshoe Head. It used to be a pineapple plantation back in 1860's. This was probably the Confederates last camping spots. This is where the cabins were found. Now that I told you, here's the catch... it is on the Seminole Indian Reservation, and they do not like anyone on it. You could end up as alligator food for being and doing something they don't care for. You will also need an airboat to get there. I had a connection who would get me there with a few trusted Indians with airboats and make everything OK for a cut, but if I ever were to actually find it, I think I would end up being reported lost in the everglades. So, I decided not to do it.

Now the other gold shipment or payroll is on Federal Land. One of the locations is less than 1000 feet from alligator alley. Federal Land, fenced, posted, swamp, snakes and alligators. But it is there. Actually seen the map of the locations back in 1984. Long, long story of were the map came from. A treasure hunter friend of mine was contacted by an attorney to contract salvage rights for his client who's father left him the map. The client was 78 in 1984. My friend lived on the west coast and contacted me to determine the feasibility. Not knowing the location I needed something to determine the effort required. So the old fellow snapped some pictures of the map. It was about 3' x 4' and an original. Then took close ups of a few locations and cut them out so there was no reference to the rest of the map and sent them to me. He sent me a picture of the map he took at a distance so as not to reveal anything. I had it blown up at a photography studio and bam there it all was. I was also able to identify the locations after comparing the cut outs to the same copy of the map I got from the historical society.

I said I would do it and then he says, "OK, now let's contact the government so I can legally claim it" I told my friend to tell him if he does that he loses it all. And that is were we parted ways. I doubt seriously he ever did anything with the map and the area is so treacherous for someone that age, who by now is 103 or dead. So the stuff is probably still there. Great Story eh? I had the gold bug bite me and I was fanatic over it for 10 years. I even gave away my detectors and quit altogether. I still like to research and read the forums.

Oh yeah, the Calico Jack treasure... I been there too. It is in the Everglades National Park. They take a dim view of detectors. You need a boat to get there. If you get caught, they take the detector, and the boat and throw you in jail. The islands are nothing more than mangrove islands with perhaps a small bit of land in the center. You would have to climb over mangrove roots to get to the center. Wouldn't be able to swing a detector unless you burnt everything off. I camped at the Canepatch (a park campsite) and once supposedly used by pirates and plumehunters. Didn't get much sleep because an alligator came up on shore around our tent. The only way I would go look for the Calico Jack treasure is if I had a map with an x marks the spot and was signed by him personally... not this lifetime. If you ever been the the everglades during mosquito season, you can be drained of all your blood in an hour.

Hope you enjoyed reading of my exploits...

That I did Thanks for sharing

mindspark

Greenie
Mar 6, 2009
With the name Hully Sterling, who flew airplanes back it 1949. I would say that that is probably the same person that ruined our ecology.

The video I have is of a lot of dashboard of the plane and a few good shots of the hammock and the poinciania trees as I stuck it out the window. We circled a few times. But in order for me to get some good shots my friend (the pilot) had to slow the plane down. He kept telling me we were at almost stall speed; I didn't get it, but later found out we could have dropped out of the air and crashed. Anyway, not much to look at in the video. Thick brush tops of trees, no open areas in the hammock. You can google earth it and do as well. Actually better.

I tried to figure all the angles on the cache. You see supposedly the Confederates were taken in by a buch of " foot washing Baptists" as I read in one of the treasure mags. So the hammock was a small sugar and pineapple plantation. Now you aren't going to bury a quantity of gold where all of these people are living in case you are being followed. So, I was thinking it may be buried on one of the smaller hammocks surrounding the area. That way, you could post a guard and see anyone coming out from Horseshoe Head crossing the sawgrass. Once you are in the trees of the hammock no one can see what you are doing. Then again, they could have taken it with them, trying to make it to the coast, and when it got really insane, buried it elswhere. I doubt seriously, they went east. Nothing but sawgrass and swamp for miles. West was the Big Cypress. Prairies and Pinelands; some swamps. Probably when they hit some of the swamps going west, they had to make a decision to unload the burden just so they could make it out alive. This is just my thoughts on the matter.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
During the Seminole Wars in 1840's-50's the Indians would clear the interior of the hammocks for farming and leave the tall trees on the outside edges to hide what they were doing. They grew bananas, corn, squash, sweet tators and other veggies. When the islands were abandoned, non-native trees would often take over. You can still find sugar cane and Seminole pumpkin vines growing wild on some of those hammocks. My friend told me as late as the 1950's when some Indians were discovered living on a hammock, they had never seen a white man before. They were asked to move out of Everglades National Park and were given land near the Big Cypress where they live today.

The Big Cypress area was full of deserters, escaped slaves, Seminoles and other displaced Indians, pirates, fugitives from justice and every type of vagabond imaginable. They were able to find work on the small farms and groves and you could always hunt and fish for food. There are still cattle living wild to this day out on the prairies...

Do you have anything on their eventual capture by the Union forces?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
this "confederate " gold money was not in a "bank" or normal fiscal money left behind in a bank to stay within the control of the us govt when the "yankees" arrived (the us govt set terms under which the former confederate banks worked-- thus the money in those banks stayed in the usa-- in effect it was back under us govt control (since they controlled the southern banks ) -- this money was meant to be "removed" from the country thus it would be out from under us control -- so if it was found it would have been "grabbed" by the us govt to prevent that from occuring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread