JAMES/YOUNGER GANG KNOWN SITE LOCATIONS IN OKLAHOMA

B

BILL 1876

Frank and Jesse’s familiarity with Indian Territory and their setting up temporary and more permanent quarters there is fact. I would suspect that on numerous occasions when the gang’s whereabouts were unknown, they were most likely in Indian Territory. Granted they would go to other areas; Texas, Tennessee, and Kentucky but they found a safe haven in the Nations. Years later from 1907-1911 Frank James lived in Fletcher Oklahoma, his house there was moved to Eagle Park near Cache. The James’ mother died in Oklahoma City while returning home to Missouri after visiting Franks Oklahoma residence. Mt. Tarbone is located in the Wichita mountains on the side of the mountain range. You can view it from Meers Oklahoma and it has a distinct slope on its northern most edge, this is where the infamous kettle was found scrawled with the James/Younger gang outlaw pact in 1876.

Another familiar campsite for the gang was Buzzards Roost which is a couple miles north of Cement Oklahoma. It is a small rock knoll located off a two-lane highway, a dirt road off the highway passes on the north side. The knoll it is about 50 yards off the dirt road and can’t be missed. From the top of the knoll on a clear day you can easily see Mt Tarbone and it’s distinct face in the distance. Many people have disturbed the area and as for metal detecting it is an extremely “trashy” site. Some symbols can be found in the area, a picture of the site can be found in Steve Wilsons book, however the area is much more wooded now.

The Keechi hills are located just north of Buzzards Roost and run some distance to Highway 62. Delaware creek courses through the hills toward Cement and Buzzards Roost, and is shaped like a turkey/bird track having three branches the center, east and west. Whether the turkey track symbols associated with the James/KGC gang in Oklahoma represent creeks, or are purely directional or something completely different you can decide, I don’t know positively. This is not the same Delaware creek as mentioned in the Ebay property in Wapanucka that I mentioned in my previous post.

Buzzards Roost and the Keechi hills are located about 12 –13 miles West of highway 81 a.k.a Chisholm trail highway as it parallels the old cattle trail from Texas to Kansas. The cattle trail crossed the Canadian River two miles north of Tuttle Oklahoma at a location called Silver City which you can find on some of the old maps say 1880 and up. Silver City has some James treasure stories as well although it most likely was not Silver City or much of anything when the James’ were there. You can find the GPS coordinates for all these locations online by using the various servers like Terra server. Additionally any of the University libraries have microfiche of most newspapers of the day, especially the Lawton paper, Kansas City, St. Louis..etc..You can view and print the data so you have some documentation to carry with you.

There are many locations like these and anyone interested in seeing them or wanting more information can contact me. I’d be happy to show you where they are or provide as much information as you need to get there.

S

Spaten

I seem to recall a story of Frank James having a homestead in the Wichita Mountains after Jessie died. The story I heard mentioned a treasure he had burried near the homestead. If anyone's interested I could see if I can dig it up again.

OP
OP
B

BILL 1876

You're correct. The home was in Fletcher Okla, which is just a few miles NE of the Wichita Mts just off the H.E. Bailey turnpike. Alot of the stories about Frank and his time living in Fletcher in the early 1900's are mentioned in Steve Wilsons book, which has him searching for many of their buried caches. Supposedly Frank had a difficult time in finding many of the caches since the territory had changed a great deal however, it is said Frank did dig several caches up.

OP
OP
B

BILL 1876

Dell,

Yes, I am aware of some information regarding this, however there are more than one that have been mentioned. I get from your question that you are referring to Altus proper and not Lake Altus or the Quartz Mt area is that correct? There is information regarding gold east of both these locations. We could be talking about the North Fork of the Red River and Otter Creek area.

This part of the state is dotted with Mts. which is a term to be used loosely, Mts. as classified for Oklahoma, hills or knolls for most states. All however very good markers to use in a waybill although through the years one Mt. looks just like the other, with very few having any distinct differences. If you want to talk offline about this area in more detail send me an email. Hope this helps, Bill

OP
OP
B

BILL 1876

Dell,

You might also look in the area of Teepee mountain, King mountain and Soldier mountain, all of these have their tales of gold. Devils Canyon has been in the limelight for decades and a large number of Spanish artifacts have been found there along with some gold and several skeletons that indicate the person died a violent death.

Another tale from the vicinity mentions many saddles being found in a cave, this story too is in Wilsons book, and appears to be leading toward something other than a Spanish cache.

That entire area between Quartz Mt. and the Wichita Mts. is just begging for someone to explore it, these little mountains/knolls are everywhere along with rolling hills with numerous arroyos and such. My searching of the area has been concentrated on those mountains that surround Quartz Mt.

I doubt very seriously if any of the owners or locals has attempted to search these areas and if they have they didn’t do it with much detail/conviction. It’s a very hot area in the summer and usually posts the highest temperatures in the state. It’s desolate; the towns that are around are very small and not very prosperous except for a select few individuals.

Quite frankly the majority that live there either don’t know the history at all, or know a small piece of it and really don’t care because they have better things to do like drive to larger towns on the weekends in Oklahoma and Texas to shop. Let me know if you have any ideas…Bill

V

val424

Devils Canyon

Last year we tried to get acess to Devils Cayon. It is surounded by private land and the owners will have arrested per the Sheriff. If anyone does get acsess please email me and let me know how they got it.
Thanks

Jedxi

Apr 29, 2004
Hello,i am also new to treasure hunting and live in Choctaw.
Is there any tales of treasure out my way?

B

bpearce

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2041.JPG
    IMG_2041.JPG
    526.1 KB · Views: 47
  • button.JPG
    button.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1921 (1).jpg
    IMG_1921 (1).jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 59189293700__CB13E15E-F1FE-4460-9E5B-6DBE54ADA12E.JPG
    59189293700__CB13E15E-F1FE-4460-9E5B-6DBE54ADA12E.JPG
    692.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo on 11-9-19 at 10.14 PM copy.jpg
    Photo on 11-9-19 at 10.14 PM copy.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1831.jpg
    1831.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 77
  • finds1.JPG
    finds1.JPG
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 39

Liberty5601

Greenie
Jul 20, 2019
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter & Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank James Residence @ Wichita Mtn Range

I seem to recall a story of Frank James having a homestead in the Wichita Mountains after Jessie died. The story I heard mentioned a treasure he had burried near the homestead. If anyone's interested I could see if I can dig it up again.

I'm interested in what you may have on this residence, please see if you could find it.

Respectfully

Liberty5601 in Oklahoma

Liberty5601

Greenie
Jul 20, 2019
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter & Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank and Jesse’s familiarity with Indian Territory and their setting up temporary and more permanent quarters there is fact. I would suspect that on numerous occasions when the gang’s whereabouts were unknown, they were most likely in Indian Territory. Granted they would go to other areas; Texas, Tennessee, and Kentucky but they found a safe haven in the Nations. Years later from 1907-1911 Frank James lived in Fletcher Oklahoma, his house there was moved to Eagle Park near Cache. The James’ mother died in Oklahoma City while returning home to Missouri after visiting Franks Oklahoma residence. Mt. Tarbone is located in the Wichita mountains on the side of the mountain range. You can view it from Meers Oklahoma and it has a distinct slope on its northern most edge, this is where the infamous kettle was found scrawled with the James/Younger gang outlaw pact in 1876.

Another familiar campsite for the gang was Buzzards Roost which is a couple miles north of Cement Oklahoma. It is a small rock knoll located off a two-lane highway, a dirt road off the highway passes on the north side. The knoll it is about 50 yards off the dirt road and can’t be missed. From the top of the knoll on a clear day you can easily see Mt Tarbone and it’s distinct face in the distance. Many people have disturbed the area and as for metal detecting it is an extremely “trashy” site. Some symbols can be found in the area, a picture of the site can be found in Steve Wilsons book, however the area is much more wooded now.

The Keechi hills are located just north of Buzzards Roost and run some distance to Highway 62. Delaware creek courses through the hills toward Cement and Buzzards Roost, and is shaped like a turkey/bird track having three branches the center, east and west. Whether the turkey track symbols associated with the James/KGC gang in Oklahoma represent creeks, or are purely directional or something completely different you can decide, I don’t know positively. This is not the same Delaware creek as mentioned in the Ebay property in Wapanucka that I mentioned in my previous post.

Buzzards Roost and the Keechi hills are located about 12 –13 miles West of highway 81 a.k.a Chisholm trail highway as it parallels the old cattle trail from Texas to Kansas. The cattle trail crossed the Canadian River two miles north of Tuttle Oklahoma at a location called Silver City which you can find on some of the old maps say 1880 and up. Silver City has some James treasure stories as well although it most likely was not Silver City or much of anything when the James’ were there. You can find the GPS coordinates for all these locations online by using the various servers like Terra server. Additionally any of the University libraries have microfiche of most newspapers of the day, especially the Lawton paper, Kansas City, St. Louis..etc..You can view and print the data so you have some documentation to carry with you.

There are many locations like these and anyone interested in seeing them or wanting more information can contact me. I’d be happy to show you where they are or provide as much information as you need to get there.

"To BILL 1876"

You mention a book written by Steve Wilson, is it still available in print, if so, what title please?
Also, do you have a list of any other 'internet servers' that have this type of history or 'geographical assistance', those sites would be great to have as well. I'm new to TreasureNet.com and metal detecting. I have always thought that I was born in the wrong century, that I was meant to be a cowboy and ride the plains. "Liberty5601" in Oklahoma

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paperback Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales Book
ISBN: 0806121742

ISBN13: 9780806121741

Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales
by Steve Wilson
See Customer Reviews
Select Format:

Hardcover