New THer from Indiana, looking for information on hidden caches by River Pirates

M

mbrolin

Hello, I'm a new THer, from Greenfield Indiana. In the United States Treasure Atlas, Volume 4, Indiana State, For Switzerland County It lists

598: Many caches of loot are said to be concealed in the caves along the Ohio-Indiana state line by early-day river pirates.
A): One very interesting cache is a keg of 1804 U.S. silver Dollars.

Is there anyone out there that knows about this lost keg of 1804 Silver dollars, or other River Pirate caches in this area? Or can point me toward good books on this topic. Also looking for anyone who would want a THer buddy in my area.

Thanks

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
Re: New THer from Indiana, looking for information on hidden caches by River Pir

You might try Lost treasures magazine web - site they have a search engine by states and you can order back issues from them direct. They run cache stories by states every monthly issue. It's the best I can do. HH Dave ???

lesleygalaxy

Aug 23, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
One reference that mentions a keg of silver dollars in caves near the ohio river by the state lines left by river pirates...also from Terry but in the ohio volume

Then another lead mentions the same thing but refers to indians hiding the same loot in a cave near silver creek in indiana

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the best hobby in the world! I'm a few hours north of you, glad to see another Indiana member joining the ranks. :hello2:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mbrolin,

Good to see someone else looking for the same thing. I spent a day driving around in the area that they say it happened in (near IN/OH state line...but the roads don't go in the right direction...lots of area to cover but I thought if a team of people gridded off some of the area then did a methodical search for caves it could be found. The coins are so rare a handfull could let a dozen people retire! I tried to find out more info but Terry and anything else I found said the same things. I was going to go to the library and get into the near by county historical societies and try to see when it first surfaces, bound to be some newspaper or summation in historical records...so if you can find a way to dig into the Indiana side let me know and I'll try the Ohio side..its just too much for one person.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Curtis said:
Mbrolin,

Good to see someone else looking for the same thing. I spent a day driving around in the area that they say it happened in (near IN/OH state line...but the roads don't go in the right direction...lots of area to cover but I thought if a team of people gridded off some of the area then did a methodical search for caves it could be found. The coins are so rare a handfull could let a dozen people retire! I tried to find out more info but Terry and anything else I found said the same things. I was going to go to the library and get into the near by county historical societies and try to see when it first surfaces, bound to be some newspaper or summation in historical records...so if you can find a way to dig into the Indiana side let me know and I'll try the Ohio side..its just too much for one person.
This is another one that requires 'boots on the ground'. Narrow the search to one lock to lock pool. Find maps of what the river channel looked like prior to 'slack water'(dam) projects began . Take a
leisurly float on a pontoon boat down the pool and try to correlate existing terrain to likely pirate spots along the original stream .
Be a fun trip whether productive or not .

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know that there was no more the fifteen 1804 US Silver dollars made by the mint. Good luck to all of you.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know that there was no more the fifteen 1804 US Silver dollars made by the mint. Good luck to all of you.

Boy, thats a far cry from a whole KEG...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread