Suwannee/Cross City Florida Casche

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Hey Sabre, no problem here. Good luck to all in our mad world of treasure hunting. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I have seen that map before and also another one like that, the whole area is swamp right there. I believe their measurements back then were off, any ideas?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Your map of Jackson coming from the north would make it seem that if they said move across the river it would mean to move over to the east side, what are your thoughts, would they have been on the east side and move to the side that jackson was coming from? I agree with you that it may not be marsh back then, I google earth odulond and goodson island, trees and high ground there. What do you think, or over on hog island?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I will be there this weekend and I will let you know, If I find something be prepared to come up for drinks!

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Definately some coins too, I will check that spot, a little high ground there. Go to little bradford island and goodson island and oduland island, does there appear to be structures there to you?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Hey RelicD, look at your post under Florida, buried kegs of cross city and compare maps and notes, one says it was closer up by clays landing. Take a look and let me know what you think.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
If you measure it on google it fits the size of house roofs maybe smaller, looks like a dock near the water, covered dock? You replied on my other thread of buried kegs in cross city on the florida thread and said it looked to be somewher near clays landing, still feel that way?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I agree it may be the spot, I am going there and am going to hit every island around there with a 2 box. If no kegs at least maybe pirate treasure buried in the area.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I agree with you, that is why I am going to check out that entire area. What do you think about the buildings, the one on goodson island i believe looks to have a dock. There are no roads around here, it would be cool if these are all really old shacks.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Sabe, Clay's Landing is where I was telling you about the campground and that is the side of the river the campround is on. The more you guys talk the more I remember.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
OK here goes, we went this morning and took a boat and did some island hopping. Pictures will follow.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
No trinkets, no gold/silver no arrowheads etc. Very cool area though. I have come to the conclusion that Thomas Terry and all of these other so called treasure writers are idiots, they write their books without any information where the data comes from, its all vague. Who knows if stuff is here, its such a vast area and the same with the confederate stories of dumping kegs in the river. Its a huge river, why dump kegs of gold coins when you can bury them and fabricate a story to appease your superiors. They probably came up with the union gunboat story so they could steal the money for themselves. As far as this Andrew Jackson story goes I have never seen any documentation stating that this cache existed or was offered for a last attempt at a pardon. Between the author Terry and the guy who promotes treasurelore.com, they should have never started their works without providing some reference or source of reference point. I am not sure but treasure atlas should be catalogged under fiction or historical fiction!

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
any pottery sherds or age to the structures in the one area?Arthinbutheadnot place is around there somewhere :icon_scratch: you do know that his place is not going to be much left above ground after 200 years of hurricanes...You may have to dig for his store spot....

Attachments

• old store.jpg
    old store.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,393
OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
If the trading post was anywhere around the area we were at then either people years ago found it or it was built over by the existing homes and structures found there today. Our guide said he has found tons of arrowheads and indian artifacts. Infact, he found remains of an indian and called in the university but they never came and got it. Locals say the archaeologist have ruined the mounds so bad they are unrecognizable. The mounds once stood at 18 feet high in areas now barely reach seven feet tall. The archaeologist destroyed the area and above that I have been told that at the university where the public can see artifacts only a small portion are shown while a huge number are kept in the basement out of public view. Archaeologist and the government including state and federal have ruined the entire treasure/relic industry for their benefit and greed.

Here are a few pictures of the trip,enjoy!

PS: Odlund Island is named after the family who settled their and received squatters rights. It is unmaintained and looks like a ufo took people in the 1950's/60's out of their and left it.
Odlund home Suwannee.JPG
the last odlund home built
Eric Odlund grave marker.JPG
Luella Odlund grave marker.JPG
Odlund boat slip.JPG
Odlund children grave marker.JPG
Pete Asleep.JPG
This photo depicts an actual pirate sleeping in transit to find booty!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Our guide said the archaeologists from the University of Florida destroyed the mound on Hog Island. All the artifacts are kept hidden from the public. So much for our cultural heritage. It now belongs to the archies! Pic 1 is what we had to walk through on Hog Is. Pic 2 is whats left of Arbuthnots store!

Attachments

• DCP01161.JPG
    DCP01161.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • DCP01165.JPG
    DCP01165.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,335

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions