Root cellars

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Root cellars and earth sheltered houses are making a come back. They are somewhat energy efficiant, low maintainence and great storage area for cache and supplies. I have found root cellars in the past that had stashs of food(to old to trust anymore), strong boxs of valuables(documents, some cash,
toys(and marbles,my favorite toy find) and depression glass...). I'm at the point that I don't trust banks anymore than I trust the government( We're the government, we're here to help).

I'm building a root cellar strong enough to run a catepillar over it. I'm going to store some of my finds in it. I have some timers, I forgot where I built it already.

OP
OP
S

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
Got the pit dug up last week. The floor and walls will go up soon. It's going to be a twelve by twenty conctete cellar deep in the ground. I will be able to see from my computer room and I will have a mean dog chained up near the entrance. I'm stashing MY cache in a well guarded area. If you can get permission from my dog...well,I don't think so. Any ideas on what to stash in it. Like my nuggets, documents, vintage wine, dunjun in the entrance for another mean dog.

I like creating a cache of my own.

Peeber

Mar 18, 2009
Indiana
Just to make it exciting, go to a medical supply house, or a medical school book store and by a skull. They make them in plastic of various colors or bone color. Or the whole skeleton, and leave it spread around your mean dog.

OP
OP
S

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
Peeber said:
Just to make it exciting, go to a medical supply house, or a medical school book store and by a skull. They make them in plastic of various colors or bone color. Or the whole skeleton, and leave it spread around your mean dog.
Now that's an idea that I should have already thought of. The wheels are turning now.
Thanks Jim

S

seger98

Hummm, just a couple of things, if your location that you have under your name is where you really live, I wouldn't be telling everyone what you are going to put into your concrete hole, a bullet can usually take care of a dog & I'm sure you probably have a permit to build such cocrete hole so it wouldn't be hard to find you! JMO

Peeber

Mar 18, 2009
Indiana
I wouldn't bet on the need of a permit. I recently built a cabin in one of our states more rural county's. when I went in to ask about a permit and taxes they said "don't worry about it, no permit is necessary an we will get around to taxing it when the assessor finds it.
Don't ya love down home folks! Of course when it was taxed this 12X16 cabin was taxed as a 3 bedroom residence. Maybe that tells ya somthing about how rural the county is.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question, but wouldn't a metal detector be able to find this place ???? and easily after the dog has been " drugged ;D ;D ;D

PLL

S

seger98

Peeber said:
I wouldn't bet on the need of a permit. I recently built a cabin in one of our states more rural county's. when I went in to ask about a permit and taxes they said "don't worry about it, no permit is necessary an we will get around to taxing it when the assessor finds it.
Don't ya love down home folks! Of course when it was taxed this 12X16 cabin was taxed as a 3 bedroom residence. Maybe that tells ya somthing about how rural the county is.

That's a good county to live in. There aren't many around anymore that will let you do what you want on your own land without a permit.

OP
OP
S

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
seger98 said:
Hummm, just a couple of things, if your location that you have under your name is where you really live, I wouldn't be telling everyone what you are going to put into your concrete hole, a bullet can usually take care of a dog & I'm sure you probably have a permit to build such concrete hole so it wouldn't be hard to find you! JMO
Permit, I don't have no stinkin' permit. I don't have to show you no stinkin' permit.
pegleglooker said:
Just a question, but wouldn't a metal detector be able to find this place ???? and easily after the dog has been " drugged ;D ;D ;D

PLL
My friend has a GTI2500 with the Eagle Eye double box. He walked right over it and the signal was so faint that he said he would not have dug there if he did not know about the root cellar before hand. The ground is highly mineralized(iron). The ceiling is three feet deep. No re bar in the arched ceiling

My dog eats drugs for breakfast(Prozac,Valium,...)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread