jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much of a spring thaw on the Oregon coast.It's either a big storm or nothing. :clock:

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. That's kind of an unusual batch of coins coming out of a little stream in a fairly small space. The kid theory is a good one but if it were me I think I'd take a really good look at the stream itself. Just a hunch but after run off has finished this year, go in with a gold pan and sample up and down the creek a bit.

Chinese miners worked the coastal areas from California all the way into Canada. They did very well going after the fine flour gold that the European miners didn't want to mess with. An odd collection like that could have been carried by them as they
had come into contact with so many different people. It only clicked because I've found similar collections around some of the old Chinese camps. Just a thought.

Deepsix

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those coins were not in the sand very long. MAYBE a few weeks At The Most!

If that's where they were found, then they are Very recent drops.

-Buckles

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepsix47 and Buckleboy
Personally i think your both right.We had a big one hundred year storm last year,lots of rain,enough rain to wash those coins out of the river and down to the beach.The river runs through several private properties that are not lived in year round.Have not been able to catch up with the owners to get permission to hunt the river.I need to hunt it in the summer when the water level is down.Have been checking the beach on a regular basis but lots of sand has blown in.The weather is beginning to improve here so I'm hoping to get permission for this summer.
Thanks for looking!

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm thinking you might want a water detector to round out your capabilities...

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyledriver
This is a small creek that you can spit across.Just needing permission and warmer weather.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Generically speaking, you don't need permission to access waterways. Anything that meets the criteria for a "navigable waterway" is public access up to the high water mark. Navigable waterway is basically defined as any body of water you can float a canoe in during high water. (We have drainage ditches around here that our DNR lists as "navigable waterways")

Now, since not all landowners "recognize" federal waterway laws, permission may help avoid dieing of "lead poisening" :wink:

Diggem'

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question. This is a small stream emptying out on a beach? Have you taken a look or worked the stream further up? Is there a possibility these coins were part of a larger cache thrown dumped or buried further up the stream?

You could possibly be getting the tip of the iceburg, these being what washed down the stream after a big rain.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boogeyman
That's exactly what I'm thinking,have got permission for the top portion of the creek but not the lower.Hit the upper portion last summer but came up empty.Am going to to keep at it.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemall
I will check into the navigable water way ,but when i say i can spit across it,that's putting it lightly.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. That's kind of an unusual batch of coins coming out of a little stream in a fairly small space. The kid theory is a good one but if it were me I think I'd take a really good look at the stream itself. Just a hunch but after run off has finished this year, go in with a gold pan and sample up and down the creek a bit.

Chinese miners worked the coastal areas from California all the way into Canada. They did very well going after the fine flour gold that the European miners didn't want to mess with. An odd collection like that could have been carried by them as they
had come into contact with so many different people. It only clicked because I've found similar collections around some of the old Chinese camps. Just a thought.

Deepsix
Deepsix is wide awake on this!! That's the first question I had, why aren't you working up the stream?. Since the coins you found look as though they're in great shape, being up in fresh water makes a lot of sense. Another thing to think about is there any brush around this stream? If so they could be a pocket spill from someone changing clothes. Work the stream until the conditions liven up on the beach.

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, get a lot of snow up there in Oregon? See if you can borrow a snow plow (the kind you walk behind as it pushes the snow away. Then carefully push the sand away from the area that you were finding the coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread