OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Dalton Gang's last robbery

(the following 2 paragraphs were taken from http://www.gunslinger.com/dalton.html)

On July 14, 1892 the gang made its last train robbery at Adair I. T.. Once again the train was loaded with deputies, but the gang was so quick and quite with their work that the marshals didn't realized the train was being rob until the job was almost completed. Unloading from the train the marshals engaged in a fierce but brief gun battle with the bandits. During the battle an innocent bystander was killed and another one wounded. the bandits would escape unharmed with an undisclosed amount of cash.

After the Adair robbery the Gang split up and went their own ways. With the law on their trail, the Dalton boys figured to make one last robbery and get enough money to leave the country. A plan was devised to rob two banks in the same town at the same time, thus getting enough money to leave the country, and also go down in history by accomplishing something that no other outlaw gang had ever attempted. The perfect town for the robbery was Coffeyville, KS, the Dalton boys old home town.

If you were going to rob 2 banks in Coffeyville, KS what would you do with any money/gold you had on you.? Would you take it into town with you or would you cache it the night before and come back for it after the robbery?

The reason I am asking is because I know where the Dalton's camped the night before the attempted robbery in Coffeyville, KS.? A friend of mine ownes the property and has given me permission to search it.? Researching the best I can, I can't find any stories of any buried caches but since they were getting ready to do this last robbery and then leave the country what do? you think they did with their money,did they take it with them, or did they leave it somewhere so they could come back for it after they made their withdraw?? My research didn't mention them being killed with a large amount of money on them.

It isn't known (or at least not published) how much the Adair Train Robbery was worth but afterwards the railroad put a $5000 bounty on each of the gang's heads. The robbery must have been sizeable. http://www.gunslinger.com/adair.htm

Let me know what you think.? If? you want to learn more of the Dalton Gang here is some interesting reading http://www.gunslinger.com/dalton.html

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The Dalton Gang's last robbery

The Adair Robbery was suppose to be very large. That is why they decided to leave the country after the bank job in KS. The Railroad never disclosed how much they got away with. Remember the train was being protected by a special detachment of 8 railroad guards.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Here's one thing to keep in mind-being on the run between heists is not cheap. You have to pay a lot of premium for fresh horses, food, etc. They were well known all throughout the territory yet were able to stay ahead of the law and I would think they would make sure to keep the various families taken care of that took care of them.

J

Just Lookin

Hey dathvick, I think you maybe on the right track? I would think that they had a hideout not to far south of coffey town, maybe after hunting the campsite you might get some ideas on where there hide out was, from what I understand that they had family in that area! I would hunt the campsite and take GPS reading, then go to google earth or terra server or usa maps, and extend out from there looking for caves, cabin's ect. that is just my thoughts. I LIVE CLOSE TO YOU. See Ya

DoctorDan

Sep 21, 2005
Missouri

David Dary has a couple interesting books, "True tales of old-time Kansas" and "Cowboy Culture". Also, kinda before that time, but Elmo Ingenthron's "Borderland Rebellion" deals with parts of that area. He doesn't rate the Dalton's with a comment though.

Tad in one of'em about Dalton but the thing that always stopped me: If it was there, why didn't Emmett go back and get it? ???

DD

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Remember he was in prison for 14 years after the attack and I am sure everyone was eyeballing him when he came close to town. I know he did return to Coffeyville and had a tombstone made and placed on the grave after he got out. Even if they didn't bury a cache, maybe they dropped me a coin or two.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There's a cave of sorts about 12 miles from my house where the Daltons hid out from time to time along with a couple other outlaw gangs. It's a large rock outcroping that over hangs the side of a bluff above a creek. It's about 90 miles due South of Coffeeville. When I was in Highschool the local kids use to throw keg parties up under there and were never detected by the local law. I don't know if they ever cached any treasure there, I doubt it as the place is well known and no one has ever seemed to be richer for their visiting there. Monty

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

#9... Thank you for your answer. Best of luck to you. Many of us wondering if any treasures were found.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For those interested in the Dalton Gang, I highly recommend Emmett Dalton's book: "Beyond the Law", originally published in 1918, reprinted in 2002 by Pelican Publishing Co. When reading it carefully a few years ago, I don't recall ever finding any outright treasure stories in it but I do remember that some of the places and events Dalton wrote about would make very good metal detecting leads to follow up on.
~Texas Jay
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm a descendant of the Daltons. My cousin traced our family tree back to them.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

The Youngers were my Dads Great Uncles. :thumbsup:

tropicalsue

Aug 24, 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

OutBack Duo said:
Remember he was in prison for 14 years after the attack and I am sure everyone was eyeballing him when he came close to town. I know he did return to Coffeyville and had a tombstone made and placed on the grave after he got out. Even if they didn't bury a cache, maybe they dropped me a coin or two.

Could any money be buried in a grave??

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

I have looked for 2 Dalton gangs loot in eastern kansas and both times have been too late to take the loot as someone got their before I did and didn't leave any thing for me to get. Was a long hard and time consuming hunt over 2 yrs and I must admit frustrating when finding i was late getting their.One never knows the disgust you have after all the work put in to it just to be late to a cache site. A real bad disgusting feeling. Failure but time goes on !!!!!

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

tropicalsue said:
Could any money be buried in a grave??

I have often wondered the same thing. My bet is that there are a fair number of "graves" scattered around the U.S. that either don't hold a single bone, or where the bones share space with someones cache. What better place to stash something for later retrieval ? Easy to find, well maintained spot, etc. Plus 'planting' a cache in the space of a freshly dug burial site would leave no conspicuous "fresh digs" to give the location of your goodies away. But which ones..........................???

Diggem'

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

Yes, There is an old black man in Louisiana, that found a sizable amount of gold and silver in a slave coffin back in the 1960's. I have cache hunted with him many times back in the early and mid 90's, but due to work, I have not seen him in about ten years now. The way he found the coffin was from tales handed down by his slave ancestors.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After he was captured, Emmitt Dalton stated that between the 5 members of the gang to attempt the Coffeyville job, they had a total of $900. The Dalton brothers wanted to leave the country, so Bob decided to do one last job at Coffeyville. He figured hitting two banks early in the morning would get them a good haul. Afterwards, their brother Bill sued the city to try and get his brothers' possessions (and the $900) from the city.

Since the City of Coffeyville buried the Daltons in Elmwood Cemetery, it is unlikely any loot is buried in any of the graves. The immediate family (mother, younger siblings) had left Coffeyville for Kingfisher I.T. in 1889. Several siblings had also moved to California prior to the brothers turning outlaw. Emmitt bought and had a stone placed on the outlaw's graves in 1931. Their older brother Frank, a US Marshall killed in the line of duty in 1888, is buried nearby.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Frank Dalton was killed in 1887, not 1888. For some reason, I cannot edit my own posts...

The Dalton's camp site along Onion Creek was supposedly found a few years ago. Actually, the site is about 2 miles upstream (NW) from where the creek joins the Verdigris River. It was extensively searched at the time, hit HARD with metal detectors. It was all gridded out with surveyor's tape, and about a dozen hunters with high-dollar equipment, including two-box deep seekers, and GPR. All that was found were bits of rusty fence wire, tin scraps, and a flat, football-sized sandstone rock with the initials "R.D." and a heart carved into it. While it is documented that Bob Dalton's saddle was decorated silver heart conchos, there is no way to actually authenticate who carved on the rock. NO, THE DALTONS WERE NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THE K.G.C.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
(the following 2 paragraphs were taken from Gunslinger.com domain name is for sale. Inquire now.)

On July 14, 1892 the gang made its last train robbery at Adair I. T.. Once again the train was loaded with deputies, but the gang was so quick and quite with their work that the marshals didn't realized the train was being rob until the job was almost completed. Unloading from the train the marshals engaged in a fierce but brief gun battle with the bandits. During the battle an innocent bystander was killed and another one wounded. the bandits would escape unharmed with an undisclosed amount of cash.

After the Adair robbery the Gang split up and went their own ways. With the law on their trail, the Dalton boys figured to make one last robbery and get enough money to leave the country. A plan was devised to rob two banks in the same town at the same time, thus getting enough money to leave the country, and also go down in history by accomplishing something that no other outlaw gang had ever attempted. The perfect town for the robbery was Coffeyville, KS, the Dalton boys old home town.

If you were going to rob 2 banks in Coffeyville, KS what would you do with any money/gold you had on you.? Would you take it into town with you or would you cache it the night before and come back for it after the robbery?

The reason I am asking is because I know where the Dalton's camped the night before the attempted robbery in Coffeyville, KS.? A friend of mine ownes the property and has given me permission to search it.? Researching the best I can, I can't find any stories of any buried caches but since they were getting ready to do this last robbery and then leave the country what do? you think they did with their money,did they take it with them, or did they leave it somewhere so they could come back for it after they made their withdraw?? My research didn't mention them being killed with a large amount of money on them.]

Three months passed between the two robberies. That would be plenty of time to make a stash in a safer place farther from the TP I would think. You know what they say about crapping too close to the TP! Sounds like a fun place to look regardless. Good Luck!

L.C.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread