Skeleton Canyon and More

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Anyone wanting to go treasure hunting around Skeleton Canyon I will give some info I picked up on my three month time I spent in the area with the local people. On another posting I stated I saw Hunts grave west side Chiricahus Mts. Up Hunt canyon then South. An old rancher that lived near by said he knew of another Davis Mt. Early 1900 his dad hired an outlaw (after he got out of jail). As a kid he asked him about buried loot. He said he was told there was some gold in a cave around Geeson but it was recovered. I went to this Davis Mt and it didn?t fit any story so I think he may have been blowing smoke. I saw something else I should have looked at. So I won?t tell where that spot is. I?m saving that for my next trip.

Anyway back to my story. You need a Forest map of the area. Douglas Ranger District. You can get maps from the New Mexico office. Also with all the drug traffic and Mexicans coming through that part you need about 3 guys. One to the guard camp and one to watch your back as your metal detecting.
If you go E of Douglas on the Geronimo Trail about 6 miles in the Peloncillos you will see a spot called Blackwater Hole. It?s a long story but a prospector was high grading some gold ore hiding it from his partner. He died in an auto accident. The person I was with knew both people and said he saw the mans truck parked around Blackwater Hole. The man was heard to say he hid the gold vein well and nobody would ever find it????

On the North side you will see Clanton canyon There is a dugout that the gang stayed in as they took cattle out of Mexico to their way to Tombestone. I was told a rusty six gun was found on the floor of the dugout. If you go a little further there is a back way into Skeleton. Don?t know if it is open now but drug runners were using it the last time I was there.

I have some other good stories for latter.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
HAY! Elkman13:
I am into TH'ing full time! ;)
I have experience, 8) equipment and most importantly..
I have Plenty of time!
I am used to working (TH'ing) along the Border...
Years ago, I used to live in Douglas, :-\ so I am familiar with the area!
What's your deal ?
I'll be in the Escudilla Wilderness Area, NE of Alpine, this month..
After I am though there, week or two, :P ...
It'll be no problem for me to drop down there!

OP
OP
E

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
capbild

I don't like looking for lost gold mines. That is why I gave the store up. the other spot I want to check might be good but I live 2000 miles away. I hope to get there next spring.

Have you been into the Animas Vally? I hear someplace out in the Mts there was an outlaw camp with blacksmith shop and all. That is part of the trail Butch and Sundance used. Looks like two man two jeep sort of thing.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Elkman13:
Yes!
I have been in/around The Animas Valley!
Yes!
There is a PLACE !
OR!
Better to be called A Town!
Where the outlaws called Home!
It is still there! :o
A Ghost Town...For SURE! :-\
BUT!
Why are you giving up your search for the Mine(s) ?
I have beeen working on two, 1-in AZ., 1- in NM. !
For something like 5 yrs!
In research, in the field, with lots & lots of frustrating work!
But!
Those 5 yrs may have PAID OFF!
I believe that have just, last yr., Located them!
I'll know in a few months..
The one in New Mexico...I'll know in a few days/week!
SO!
Don't give up too soon!
Or!
Someone like myself, may be right there, behind you, and find what you gave up on! :'(
Can't afford the time?
Find someone who has the time and form a partnership!
His Time! Your Information/reseach!

OP
OP
E

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
catbild

Good!! Your my partner. Now go to Blackwater Hole and find the gold and send me my cut..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread