rock property lines

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll admit, I saw a show when i was in highschool, about treasure hunting, the guy found around 50,000.00 worth of silver coins buried in a rock property "wall". That was what originally led me to my first detector and entrance into the world of Mding, as there are many of these in my neck of the woods. I never got around to searching to many of them and sort of drifted away from the hobby. i have been doing it again for the last few years, but more relic hunting on Uncles property. I have a new job which gives me 2 weekdays a week watching my boys while my wife works . I am planning on doing some more research, cache type hunting etc.

After all that introduction, my post point is are these rock walls actually good spots, if so where and how is the best place/way to detect them.

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
I have a very old rock boundarie wall running through my property (I should post pics). It's worn to about 4-4' high and about 8' wide.

They are all over the place here in my area. I wouldn't know where to MD cuz they're sort of common.

-

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
you know,i was wondering the same thing,i live in berks county and have these all over the place,if you really think about it these rock walls have been around for many years and in my opinion what a better place to search.you may or may not find a cache near them,but i would almost guarntee you may find some old coins and such. here's another question,why did they build these? property lines? or maybe used as fences today to keep animals in? could never really understand their meanings.like i said i have alot of these things around my area also.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
most likely those rock walls were for two purposes. property line plus keep animals home. also the barbed wire and net wire if in existence then could have been too far away for practical purposes. another reason they needed clean areas for farming and the gardens. not a know it all-- just a guess because i helped clear new ground when i was 12-15 yrs. old. stumps and roots can be mean to get out.
tenclaw

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the rock walls were built because they needed somewhere to put the rocks they took from the ground and to keep animals from wandering into the crops. In early America, farm animals roamed freely and the gardens were fenced. In Claiborne Co. east of where i live old fence lines are still visible. These fences were built by slaves in the south so you may locate a slave tag detecting along beside one

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
i was detecting a stone wall last year and found 5 horseshoes together. thats it..i always check stone walls

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread