Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pieman said:
How much weight in gold could you fit in a 1/2 ton truck and still drive away? If you got to greedy you might get stuck on the next bump you hit and be the next big news story when to authorities arrive.

A Half TON ;D

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
ton and a half in the bed, couple hundred more in the cab,,,look like one of those cops chase scenes after the runner runs over the stop strips but keeps going about 80 mph, sparks flying everywhere, ''no officer, i've never seen that gold before in my life ! "......sounds fun anyway,,,,gldhntr

aussco999

Dec 25, 2003
Texas
One cubic (12"x12"x12") foot of pure gold weighs in at about 1204 lbs.

A 5 gallon bucket (depending on which size you use, as some are taller), equals about 0.77 of one cubic foot. So no more than two five gallon buckets of gold would have the headlights on your 1/2 ton pick-up truck looking up at the stars at night.

You might break both rear axles when you hit the next speed bump, but thats why you had all of the extra room in the back of the truck to carry the cold beer. With that much gold on hand, you will be busy celebrating your need to buy a much bigger truck.

And why, because 1204 lbs of pure gold at today's price is worth about $8.16 million. I hope this helps some, and let us know when you get your new truck.

John

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you want a Truck For Gold, Fill This One, & do it Right

Just don't get a FLAT

Only $3,000,000.00 for the Whole Truck. I'll Be able to afford One After I win The Powerball on Wednsday, COOL !

Attachments

• 400_TON.jpg
    400_TON.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,641
OP
OP
P

Pieman

Jul 5, 2005
Calif
So 2 5gallon buckets will equal 1800 lbs of gold. Put that on the tail end of the pickup for a wheelie ride. The trick will be in getting a 5 gallon bucket that will hold the weight.

M

merx688

you need to load the bullion one by one by hand onto the flatbed so the weight is distrubuted equally. You need to line the bed with rubber mats up to an inch thick if you do not want to damage the bars or the flatbed. 10 ton dumptrucks from Isuzu, Volvo, MAN, Fuso and FUCHS military transporters have the best handling characteristics for uphill climbs and turns even when fully loaded. Do not use the Hyundai and Nissan trucks, you will break your axles. Also army Reos are ok if you need to cross rivers.

For covert transport in highly populated areas the following are best:

Peterbilt armoured cars
Tourist Buses

IrishCharlieM

Oct 20, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
My Question is...?

Two buckets

900 LBS of gold each....

How long would it take you to load 900 LBS of gold into a bucket...

What kind of 5 Gallon Bucket......

And How large would a 900 LBS nugget BE?......

Things that make you GO HUH?????..

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
aussco999 said:
One cubic (12"x12"x12") foot of pure gold weighs in at about 1204 lbs.

A 5 gallon bucket (depending on which size you use, as some are taller), equals about 0.77 of one cubic foot. So no more than two five gallon buckets of gold would have the headlights on your 1/2 ton pick-up truck looking up at the stars at night.

A few weeks ago an episode of CSI: Miami was about the theft of someone's privately held gold bars. Talk about no clue as to the weight of gold! They busted one of the guys with a standard steamer trunk, sitting out on the dock and filled with several layers of the gold bars. In reality, there would have been no way to pick up the trunk, even if you had a full compliment of pall-bearers, as the trunk would not have been able to support the weight of the gold. Funny also that you mention the headlights looking at the stars. On my way in to work this morning I saw an F-150 (1/2 ton Ford) hauling a stack of what looked like concrete. The bed was down as far as it could go without scraping on the tires, and the front springs were stretched out as far as they could go. The truck looked like it was riding a wheelie down the highway and the bed was rocking side to side, looking like it was going to dump the truck over. I'm guessing he had about 1 ton of cargo back there. As I watched him I kept thinking that's what hauling a ton of gold would look like, just before it got spilled all over the highway and scooped up by me.

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
Depends on the specific year, make and model. Tires, overloads and the specific axel and gearing are also huge considerations.
Most mfgrs had light and heavy duty half tons for years. The light duty Ford in the 70s were just that, but could still haul 3/4 to 1ton. Better use care 'cause you will break the axel.
Hope you have need for a bigger truck.

Maybe what you need is a caravan. I am willing to help!

HH
Jeff

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Is more than one trip not an option? I'm assuming you already have a 1/2 ton truck... How 'bout a trailer to go with the truck? Get a covered trailer with brakes and double your fun (at least)! I had a 2000 F150 that I routinely loaded over 1/2 ton by a few hundred pounds sometimes. That plus a trailer loaded with a couple tons of materials was about all that truck wanted to do!! However, small loads can be placed very precisely to optimize how a trailer or truck can carry the load.

Having a landscaping biz I've seen a lot! Heck, I've overloaded many a truck.. My last truck, an F350, would carry a ton and a half fairly well, not that I would recommend it for rough terrain or long hauls! Terrain adds MUCH to the equation!

I'd take SOME of the loot, cash it in on the downlow, use THAT plus the funds from selling my half ton truck to buy a heavier duty truck that would not draw attention (no Unimogs, etc.) and 'rinse, lather, repeat' till finished!

I hope this question isn't purely academic!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
A standard modern F150 with an 8 foot bed will handle one and one quarter tons in a marginally safe
manner if you use caution and judgement and be highway legal with a standard license tag . The 250 and 350 dually will handle the weight better but the legal payload will be reduced by their extra weight.
You are still limited to 8,000 pounds total weight on a standard motor vehicle license .
If I had enough gold to max a pickup I would hump out about 25 lbs in a backpack and market that .
Use part of the proceeds from that sale to buy a well armed crew to recover the rest .

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Stephen, a 1/2 ton of Gold naturally. Hasn't anyone ever heard of air lifts / shocks? I use them for an extra #1000 of suspension to keep from bottoming out while going into Tayopa.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Pieman, my 1/2 ton truck can haul all the gold you can carry. Call me at: OU-812.

just-dig

Dec 25, 2008
North Texas
Real de Tayopa said:
HI Stephen, a 1/2 ton of Gold naturally. Hasn't anyone ever heard of air lifts / shocks? I use them for an extra #1000 of suspension to keep from bottoming out while going into Tayopa.

Don Jose de La Mancha

A 1/2 ton of gold weighs more than a 1/2 ton of feathers? Are you sure about that?....lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
overload3.jpg

stefen said:
Which weighs more, a 1/2 ton of gold or a 1/2 ton of feathers?

HaHa

If you Fill a Half ton Truck Bed with Gold
the Tires will go Flat.
If you fill a Half ton Truck with Feathers
It would feel Empty.

But either way

1000 Pounds is 1000 Pounds. :D

Pieman said:
How much weight in gold could you fit in a 1/2 ton truck and still drive away? If you got to greedy you might get stuck on the next bump you hit and be the next big news story when to authorities arrive.

Probably about a Ton.

I Have seen People fill their
truck beds so High they could get over a Ton
of Coal in the beds of their 1/2 Tons.

However it is Illegal in PA.
& The Tires don't like it :D

One thing to remember Though.
a Ton of gold may just cover the Floor
of a Half ton Truck.
Not sure.

Rule of thumb :icon_thumleft:

When your Tires start showing the Weight