Detector for hunting inside an old house...

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I saw a post awhile back where a guy took a Silver uMax and cut it down short with a small coil for using inside old houses.. What I have in mind is something that will be a bit more powerful than a pinpointer when searching around door jambs, etc. I'm not certain a pinpointer isn't enough, just not sure what would be best for this use? Seems like almost any detector whacked and modded to be small and maneuverable would work? Any guidance on this?

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small Garret detector...the kind that bouncers use to scan someone entering the bar....or the kind law enforcement uses to scan trick or treat candy....I seldom use it, but it sure is handy to have around...Steve

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett makes something like you have in mind, about the size of a deck of cards. The security scanners operate in all-metal all the time. Any Tesoro you can just simply remove the middle to get a compact detctor.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using an old old TR for years. The shaft will go from 12" to long enough to sweep the ceiling without having to hold it over your head. Can pretty well search a ceiling without having to go in the crawl space unless something sounds good. Loaned it to a friend about 10 -12 years ago, he found a Glenfield single shot .22 with it. the rifle was laying right next to a rafter. Like I said it's older than dirt, but with it & a good black light I miss very little.

One thing I've run across several times. If you get signals under a medicine cabinet, it's more than likely where someone tucked their used double edged razor blades. If it's an older house make sure to look under the window frame where it hits the ledge, you might be surprised.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread