1854 napoleon iii

silverfox1967

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2009
me and the wife went out for a bit to an old house it has woods all around it,i know there's got to be stuff there,the soil is black so i know it's not brought in i'd say the house is about 1860's or so.but the mosquito's were pretty bad today so we called it quit's.as we walked back home a guy in a blue chevy truck yell's hay have you guy's found anything with that.i told him i have but not today.we got to talking and come to find out he remodel's old home's for a living.well he was working on replaceing a door sill the other day and when he lifted the old door step up he said he found a 1854 napoleon iii coin under it.anyone ever heard of this?he also said he had a detector but it had broke a few year's back so his wife through it away.but anyway he gave me the coin so i didn't come home empty handed after all lol.what a nice guy to just give that to me,but we are going to be detecting for a long while there i think were going to find some good stuff there hopfully a cashe.the gentleman that lives there has lived there his whole life he told us.he is 83 years old,and his name is everett.he lives in this house by himself with "no power" he uses old gas lamps for light.it makes me wounder if he has buried any coins in the yard you should see how old the curtin's are in this place it's right out of the 1800's.if he don't use power he probably don't use a bank either.last year we found two large cent's there about 18" inches down one was a 1822 and a 1700's?but i just have a feeling that there's a cashe or a hoard buried there maybe by him or his family.i am geting a new cord for my cam soon,and i want to post some pic's maybe someone can help me out on this.we have been diging a lot of old glass there to.well i better to go eat dinner before the wife put's me in the dog house lol.by for now.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
As to the coin under the door sill. It was a fairly common practice for people to put a coin under the front door sill that matched the date the house was built. That is one of the key places to look when searhing an old house. There are many more key areas to search and many are posted on this thread and others on the net. Some of these old boys will share their knowledge and some will not. There are many here that can be of more help than I can, but if you do not get the help you need, private message me and I will try to help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread