Grand Haven Mich Bank Robbery

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
This may be old news but I found it interesting. I was reading thru old FBI files concerning the Robbery of the Peoples Bank of Grand Haven Mich. The Bank was robbed 08/18/1933 by Baby Face Nelson and five other men. one of the participants was Edward Bentz. Part of the loot taken was $20,000 in bonds and travelers checks. Edward Bentz was captured and included inthe FBI files is a statement by Bentz that they put the bonds in two jars and buried them. He goes on to give a fairly good description as to their exact location. There is a follow up letter to director Hoover indicating that a search was made but the bonds were never found. I have read Bentz's statement several times and the directions are pretty clear. They certainy may have since been recovered but if I lived in that part of the country I would at least give it an afternoon. If anyone is interested I will be happy to share where I found the info.

Bill

GOLDCATCHER

Greenie
Apr 27, 2008
Hi Bill96

My nane is Rod & I live about 6 miles North of Grand Haven, I would be happy to help you find the lost loot. you can call me on my cell, 231 578 8638. HAVE LAND & WATER DETECTORS. I KNOW THE THE AREA WELL,I USE TO LIVE THERE. LETS TALK.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outside of the thrill of the chase, would a cache of old stolen bonds do anyone any good ?

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:
Outside of the thrill of the chase, would a cache of old stolen bonds do anyone any good ?

I know there is a market for old stocks and bonds, just like collecting old coins....

PLL

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pegleglooker said:
I know there is a market for old stocks and bonds, just like collecting old coins....

PLL

True that, I've had a little experience in that, and have found that you really have to have something special to get anything over pocket change for them, as a search through completed listing on ebays stocks & bonds category will show.
This just might qualify as "something special" ,,, Hopefully they were sealed up tight.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything new to report on this? Send me a PM with the information if you can as I am researching various sites to hunt and this one sounds promising. Randy

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on the type of Bond, if they were the old savings bonds from a bank they would not be worth anything because they were not actually issued. But if they were from a person they might have the face value. Corporate bonds are another story, some are negotiable and some are bearer, so there is a possibility...it would be fund to find anyway.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
BW said:
Would not the history of this being a part of loot stolen by infamous crooks make them valueable ? ::) ???... :dontknow:

Bill G.
If an insurance company paid off on this , it is their property .
Jim

blaze4dayz

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2013
muskegon mi
Detector(s) used
ace garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im from muskegon i was trying to fing out were abouts to look but couldint find nothing

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also have to consider that if they were worth money, the police officers of the time probably scooped them up and cashed them in lol.

Parismom

Sep 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you still have access to that info? I live there and just retired so this might be a fun activity...:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions