Looking for deep no-motion all-metal detector - suggestions?

pitdigger

Jul 5, 2009
I also posted this in the metal detector category, but I'll try it here too.

I'm looking for a detector to fit a specific application involving detecting fairly large iron targets down at the 2 to 4 foot depth level. Would best fall in the category of cache/relic detecting I suppose.

It must have a full-time no-motion all-metal mode. (not just pinpoint) The varying pitch VCO style of operation works great. And it must go deep. (But not looking for a 2-box)

The detector that I and most of my peers use is the Fisher Gold Bug 1 (not 2). Even though it was designed as a gold detector, it is a very effective detector for deep iron targets in no-motion mode, with great depth, especially with the bigger coil. The original Bugs have been out of production quite a while and are becoming more difficult to obtain/maintain, etc. There aren't many detectors made these days with a full-time no-motion mode, but here are a few candidates I came up with.

Garrett Master Hunter CX plus.
Garrett Scorpion (gold detector, but looks similar to original Gold Bug, has no-motion all-metal).
Tesoro Tejon
Tesoro Taquero
Whites Sierra Madre (looks interesting, but doesn't really have true no-motion mode I don't think)

Any suggestions on which of the above detectors would be a good choice? Any other suggestions? Of the two Tesoro offerings, which would be better and have the best depth capability?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep is deep? The closest thing to what you are describing is a good quality PI machine. However it isn't necesarily a no motion machine. Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett 2500 has a no motion setting, but I don't know how deep you want to go. I am guessing about 9" is max without going to a two box macnine that by the way will fit onto the 2500. Monty

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Monty, I've had a couple of 2500's and still have one. I'd think for a single coin the 9-12 range is a reasonable maximum, but I can categorically state that for a larger target you can detect well over 12 inches with the 2500 in all metal, and sweet soil. (Turned out to be an old iron/steel shovel at 16-18" - funniest looking quarter I ever dug!) I was using the standard 9.5 imaging coil that comes with the 2500.

The mineralization question seems very appropriate, I have really nice soil in KY, so I don't have much experience in worse conditions.

yellow1053

Jul 7, 2009
Waltham, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
how about the White's Pulse Scan TDI ?? incredible depth with this machine, not sure if it's motion or non-motion although. A friend has one.
Jim.

ilyes1113

Sep 3, 2008
constantina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
cscope x3.fisher f5.garrett2500+eagle aye.ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a garrett 2500 .in all metal mode he detects deep than 9 feet.for large objects .whith the large coil 12.5

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
I have one of these....it should do what you need. :thumbsup:

tf900.gif

http://www.detection.com/Discovery/Tf900.html

Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
GrayCloud said:
Wolf, I use the Garrett 2500 with the two box. :thumbsup:

GrayCloud,

You and I need to get together one of these days! :thumbsup:

Timberwolf

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Don't know what you mean by a NO MOTION detector.
To the best of my knowledge none of the mfg"s make a true no motion vlf detector, I know for certain Tesoro dos'nt, the Vaquero and the Tejon will both tune out the target if left stationary over it in the all metal mode. It sounds to me like a P.I. would best serve your pourpose, I would suggest a TDI, or minelab with a large coil.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
AUDuke:

There were TR/VLF detectors before the Red Baron motion detector
come out. Guys were wearing out their rotator cuffs swinging that one.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have loop detectors that work in both modes as well as a two box unit. My favorite Cache rig is a White's DFX with an 18" DD coil. I am able to get great depth on larger than coin objects.

The reason I choose this machine is that I have learned to use it very well, so I can interpret its readings obtaining good results.
Take note that big coils work better in open country than in civilized areas with lots of interference.

12" metal target is no problem for me at 4 feet with this set up.

Gilbert

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also post this in the meteorite section, they may also have some suggestions. Heck a piece of metal that deep could be anything from a cache to a meteorite :dontknow:

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
spartacus53 said:
I would also post this in the meteorite section, they may also have some suggestions. Heck a piece of metal that deep could be anything from a cache to a meteorite :dontknow:

That is true, and meteorites are worth big bucks! :thumbsup:

TW

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to invest in a GPR detector , ground penetrating with a three D scan .... that way you can see whats in the ground in a three D image on a lap top computer before you dig ..its worth the investment ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread