DANGERS IN CAVES

C

clayprinter

Re: DANGERS IN CAVES

What is the average tempature in the cave?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know if it will work,

I may be WAY off on this.

However, I personally, Would Throw a Few Road Flares? in.
Preferably Behind them.

& hope it would Burn enough of the Oxygen Out that they would Either Sufficate or Leave the Cave for air.

But, That's Just because I like to (PLAY)?experiment ;D

Of course the trick would be to keep them out long enough for air to re-enter & you to Explore & Come back out :-\

cpt_peewee

Jan 22, 2004
LA (Lower Arkansas)

I don't know about the ecology of using them in caves, but we always throw a few mothballs around the yard to keep snakes away. At about a dollar a box for the cheapos, it's pretty economical to do.

HH
CPW

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

SCIINDUS said:
HELLO ALL, I NEED SOME ADVICE. I HAVE FOUND A CAVE WHICH I HAVE BEEN ABOUT 10 FT AND IT HAS ANOTHER CAVE OFF TO THE RIGHT. THE CAVE IS ABOUT 8FT TALL.SOME WRITING ON THE WALLS, DIDNT STAY LONG FULL OF RATTLESNAKES. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THE SNAKE SO I CAN SEARCH IT.

Snake loop. Catch `em. Bag `em. Eat `em. How many snakes are there? Most predators live near the food, so you probably won't find them too far past the cave opening unless there are mice, rats or other food sources that live deeper in the cave. And those food sources won't live where they can't find food. If you find them deep in the cave there is probably another entrance or entrances connecting with the cave opening you see. It's bats I'd be worried about. Bat guano is very toxic, and they are known to carry rabies. But getting bit by a rabid bat is still better than getting bit by a vampire bat and becoming one of the undead, forced to wander the earth for eternity, feeding on your friends and terrorizing small villages. Not to mention that you have to build your own coffin to sleep in. And it seems like every yahoo around these days has a wooden stake.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DON'T FORGET TO WEAR YOUR SNAKE CHAPS! ;D

Nana ;)

D

Digger Joe

Snake loop is a fact, my dad and I used to catch them all the time that way. Is really easy.

Cut a light 5/8 thin pipe (aluminum even) 7 or 8 feet long and then buy a fine cable wire (found in stock houses at airports for small airplanes etc.) at 18' to start. ~ Loop it and put both ends through and back up the tube...

Then clamp on something large and strong on the end at the two cables after trimming your cable to have a two and three inch loop on the one end, and a four/five inch excess 'handle' puller on the other end, and presto, Greatest fastest easiest snake catcher you'll ever have. (We used it for rattlesnakes all the time. ~ (Play with them at the end of the pipe until you get their head inside, gently pull the cable, move them towards you, stand on their neck, and gently shoot them through the top of the head with a small 22... easest thing you could imagine.. wear your proper pants and chaps, its super easy in the above..

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The snakes are the least of your problem, if you are going to be digging a cache inside a cave you have to worry about ventilation. Remember big caches that are old and specially the ones that contain silver will release toxic gases.

good luck

Gilbert

N

Noble Metal

Just to say 'Yes' to what Gilbert is saying; In the Philippines, almost 100% of all the people in cache hunting know about the gases...

angel_09

Jul 8, 2005

Just want to give a little idea about this cave:
You can use a toy car(1/4 scale of original size) remote controlled, fix a wireless camera and light (baterry operated) on it, and the reciever of the camera is attached to the laptop computer. With that, you can have a good view inside the cave.
You can count how many snakes inside, how big are they, and how many gold bars they are guarding, without jeopardizing the lives of your team members. This is the way how I do it...

Angel

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA

dynamite them......j/k......go in in the early winter, late winter....this time of yr the should be hybernating....easy pickins.....but watch out for the vampires , undead, warewolves, ghost, goblins, gnomes, elves, chickens, monkeys, mice, rhinos, hippos, and most of all claim jumpers......and good luck.
lgp

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

If its winter and cold...chances are they are hibernating....go in and take what you want...haha
I do know this trick works for me ....snakes wont cross a burned ashes ....take a load in with you and scatter them all over the place...thick .....take a load of buckshot in case the trick doesnt happen to work for you ...
I spend alot of time in really remote areas and always dump a ring of ashes around my campsite...well then of course I chant and do the sage cleansing thing....and sing "Jesus Loves Me " really loud........and have yet to be bitten by a snake . Haha

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Depending on the situation:
The best situation is to wait for spring and allow them to leave!
??? Caution! :o
After a long period of hibernation, they are usually pretty hungery & Mean! :-\
You'll play :P "He_ _ ! :P Trying to drive a bunch of snakes out of their hibernation cave
and into the freezing cold!
I have actually picked up rattlesnakes that were hibernating in a Spanish Cave!
( Dec., >:( '95, "Point of Rocks", Grama Peak, "Journada Del Muerto"(sp. ?), New Mexico")
How do I know that it was a Spanish Cave ???
By the "Cross" that IS! ;) carved above the entrance!
Just don't hold them TOO LONG!
They tend to warm up pretty fast! :o
:P I KNOW! ;)

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Send in a Mongoose :D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pumice ash or horse hair the tail or withers hair is irratating to snakes the cowboys back in the day when they slept at night would coil the ropes made of horse hair around were they slept to keep the snakes from snuggling up to them and keepin themselves warm.pumice ash in oregun in the high desert areas there are NO snakes because it is so irratating to their belly..............

daydreamer

Dec 22, 2005
CHICO- Northern California
Detector(s) used
anything handy

Tag and bag those suckers, they are found treasure, some places buy em at $3.oo lb
Try mothballs - cheap, also go in when its cold and wear heavy lower body protection.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Hey! Day Dreamer:
Are you still living in Chico ?
I have some sites up your way and could use a "point man" ?
Do you get out much..
Have a 4x4 ?
If Interested....?
Drop me line/PM !

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005

Hello All , snakes huh, well start with protection like snake proof chaps, then get a 22 rimfire, and buy some rat shot works like a charm on snakes, we had some snakes around here one time that were eating a lot of small trout, we used rat shot on them, it foldes them right up 1 or 2 shots usually all ya need, rat shot is like a tiny shotgun shell for 22 caliber rifles or firearms, be careful when you remove the snakes you even get scratched by the fangs you will get real sick, as far as the cave it self I would get a mining badge they are expensive but will tell you if the air is bad, Im lucky my one partner works in a mine so he has a bad air badge already, oh and another thing, if you have multiple tunnels see if one of them runs NW usually the middle one, thats the one you want,tammahawk

Old Prospector

Feb 17, 2005

Yah, winter is a hard time to try to get snakes to go out doors. The moth balls idea is a good one, but will take some time
to work and the balls should be beyond the snakes. Another idea; try smoke bombs, the fireworks kind that come in colors,
in bags. They make a lot of smoke and the smoke is irritating to the eyes of the snakes. The smoke will also give you an
idea of which way the air in the cave is moving. Usually the smoke goes away quickly, so use a bunch of smoke bombs. They
can be shot into the cave with a sling shot to get them way back there, beyond the snakes.
And don't handle the snakes; they will always be snakes.
Old Prospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread