Looking for info on the Martinez Silver in Kansas

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1853 veteran trader Jesus Martinez led a large wagon train out of Santa Fe headed for Independence, Mo. About four miles west of present day Dodge City, the train was attacked by Indians. The Mexicans held out for five days, but on the sixth night the Indians overran the camp. Martinez saved himself by hiding in a ditch, but all of his 82 drovers were massacred. The Indians looted and burned the wagons and drove off the stock.

After they had gone, Martinez emerged from his hiding place to find that some of the wagons had been spared and that 21 bags, each containing 1,000 silver dollars had not been touched. Martinez buried the coins and set out on foot for safety. He was eventually rescued and returned to Santa Fe where he remained for the rest of his life. Before his death, Martinez told his son about the silver and, in 1876, Martinez the younger traveled to Fort Dodge and attempted to reclaim the cache. He failed, as did other searchers after him. However, over the years a number of wagon parts and other artifacts have surfaced in this area, lending credence to the story and providing hope for future treasure seekers.

My research turned up an account of another wagon train headed for Santa Fe in 1853, and it does seem to pinpoint the area near Dodge City Kansas. Does anybody have any information, or know where I could research it more?

Thanks!

Larry KS

Mar 20, 2003
Digger said:
In 1853 veteran trader Jesus Martinez led a large wagon train out of Santa Fe headed for Independence, Mo. About four miles west of present day Dodge City, the train was attacked by Indians. The Mexicans held out for five days, but on the sixth night the Indians overran the camp. Martinez saved himself by hiding in a ditch, but all of his 82 drovers were massacred. The Indians looted and burned the wagons and drove off the stock.

After they had gone, Martinez emerged from his hiding place to find that some of the wagons had been spared and that 21 bags, each containing 1,000 silver dollars had not been touched. Martinez buried the coins and set out on foot for safety. He was eventually rescued and returned to Santa Fe where he remained for the rest of his life. Before his death, Martinez told his son about the silver and, in 1876, Martinez the younger traveled to Fort Dodge and attempted to reclaim the cache. He failed, as did other searchers after him. However, over the years a number of wagon parts and other artifacts have surfaced in this area, lending credence to the story and providing hope for future treasure seekers.

My research turned up an account of another wagon train headed for Santa Fe in 1853, and it does seem to pinpoint the area near Dodge City Kansas. Does anybody have any information, or know where I could research it more?

Thanks!

Arkansas Bill

Greenie
Mar 31, 2003
Cave Springs, Arkansas
Hi Digger,
From what little I know about the Santa Fe trail I have come to the conclusion that wagons going to Santa Fe had little or no money with them. It was on the return trip that they had the gold and silver after trading their goods in Santa Fe.

The picture shows the site of a massacre but it appears to be a wagon train going to Santa Fe. We found a lot of bullets, trinkets, etc. but no gold. Since the natives placed no value on gold and silver but dearly loved the trade goods it is logical to assume that most massacres occured on the way to Santa Fe. The only reasons I can come up with that a train would be attacked on the way back would be Mule meat and the hatred toward white men in general. There were exceptions, I am sure, but until you get on the site itself it is hard to tell.

If I can help in any way please let me know.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Arkansas Bill.

This story is a bit different than most other trips down the Santa Fe Trail in that this wagon train was an experiment of sorts. Up until now, it was merchants from MO. that sent money/goods to Santa Fe where they bought/sold and the merchants in MO. made the money. This trip was a group of wealthy Mexican merchants from Santa Fe that wanted to make the profit themselves.

They gathered the supposed bags of silver with plans to buy goods in MO. to return and sell in Santa Fe. But who really knows hehe! :D

Attachments

• Daves Beach 1.JPG
    Daves Beach 1.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Daves Beach 3.JPG
    Daves Beach 3.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Daves Beach  2.JPG
    Daves Beach 2.JPG
    579.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Carlsbad Power Plant.jpg
    Carlsbad Power Plant.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 41

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Actually in almost all cases the silver being hauled to Missouri from Santa Fe was sewn up in green buffallo hides and bent over the backs of the mules. Each hide would hold over $1000 in dollars or pesos. Assuming the Mexicans saw how the anglos did it they would have done the same way. Hides don't tear and leak their loads like a canvas bag could. Regards, Siegfried Schlagrule

Larry KS

Mar 20, 2003
Digger,

See if you can locate a copy of The Beginning of the West. It is a very good history of the Santa Fe Trail.

I tried to post this before but I guess I'm too dumb to figure out how to post anything. :idea:

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger. If you are still out there. I've been to this site twice. I have come to the conclusion the camp site for the train is down by the river rather than up on the bluff where the maps show the old trail goes. As much time as I have invested the old farmers even said they have picked relics from the area.

Aug 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the hunt

Digger. If you are still out there. I've been to this site twice. I have come to the conclusion the camp site for the train is down by the river rather than up on the bluff where the maps show the old trail goes. As much time as I have invested the old farmers even said they have picked relics from the area.

Hey Ecominer,

I just discovered this story while watching a history channel documentary on ol west gangs. My curiosity led me to look up legends of kansas and I read this story. It sounds like several people have visted this site, and that the trenches are still visible and wagon parts can still be found. Being new, I would like to go visit this location, and others that I have been reading about. How did you find the site? Did you just call the historical society there? What has your experience been when asking farmers to go on to their land? I am hoping to expand this hobby to go look comb civil war campsites, etc.

To date, I have gotten an old map of the Santa Fe trail and overlayed on a modern map. I have calculated a circle 5 miles from both Dodge City and Fort Dodge, and have been analyzing the map trying to figure out where the most likely place wouldve been but as I am new, so far have had no luck.

Just a new adventurer looking for tips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread