dates of buried caches

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
What yrs are best to focas on as far as when did people hide away their moneys..i mean i know as far as war was concerned they would hide it but what are the key yrs? sorry if it sounds like im asking for a gimmy and should be kicked for not doing my own homework but after all im only 31 and the coins im looking for would be WAY before my time.. history as far as war isnt my strong suit but looking up and being pasionate about the past is a thing of mine. i think the thing that gets me is the war part of it. besides im in it for the hunt and the story not the reason or actions of war. not bad for a first time post but now i sound like im rambling on.. so any and all info is welcome and if you need anything ill be more then happy to help out if i can. p.s. thanx for listening to my rambles...

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I am pretty sure that since the begining of time, people were burying their valuables...Not trying to be a smart a** or anything...hahah
You are in Michigan, correct? During the Depression everyone buried their money or hid it as they didnt trust banks . So look at the 1930's time line.
The Michigan electorate organized a government without U.S. sanction and in 1836 operated as a state, although outside the Union
The Ojibwa, the Ottawa, the Potawatomi, Native American groups were living in Michigan when the French explorer ?tienne Brul? landed at the narrows of Sault Ste. Marie in 1618. Later French explorers, traders, and missionaries came, including Jean Nicolet, who was searching for the Northwest Passage; Jacques Marquette, who founded a mission in the Mackinac region; and the empire builder, Robert Cavelier, sieur de La Salle, who came on the Griffon, the first ship to sail the Great Lakes. French posts were scattered along the lakes and the rivers, and Mackinac Island (in the Straits of Mackinac) became a center of the fur trade. Fort Pontchartrain, later Detroit, was founded in 1701 by Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac. The vast region was weakly held by France until lost to Great Britain in the last conflict (1754?63) of the French and Indian Wars.
So you would probally do well to search old fort sites and areas as well.
There are so many older cities scattered through out Michigan, that any of the renovation areas are worth digging at.
Rumor has it that The underground railroad ran flat smack through some of the river towns,....Niles ,Bertrand,ST Joseph, New Buffalo, Benton Harbor .
Allegan has many older ,forgotton sites as well.
try around the old train depots and the harbors . The ferry harbor is a great place to dig as well as near Mackinaw bridge .
I Know that the KKK had a large contingencty near Galean ...artifacts ?

Good Luck !!! :P

zimmyman564

Mar 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys am new to detecting and wondering if the fort st joseph site in niles michigan is ok to search. If not where is a good place to start?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys am new to detecting and wondering if the fort st joseph site in niles michigan is ok to search. If not where is a good place to start?

Unless the fort site is private and you have permission ,no !
One St. Joseph site I have not spent time locating beyond where it may have stood. (Was there two sites?) A bit out of range for me.
When the state determines artifacts exist a site becomes off limits to recoveries on state land. Too , there is an antiquities act to cover sites not already noted.

A study of old routes ( foot ,horse,stage coach,)and stops along them might be a start near you.
Old maps ,then new ones to secure permission from current owners to search them.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What yrs are best to focas on as far as when did people hide away their moneys..i mean i know as far as war was concerned they would hide it but what are the key yrs? sorry if it sounds like im asking for a gimmy and should be kicked for not doing my own homework but after all im only 31 and the coins im looking for would be WAY before my time.. history as far as war isnt my strong suit but looking up and being pasionate about the past is a thing of mine. i think the thing that gets me is the war part of it. besides im in it for the hunt and the story not the reason or actions of war. not bad for a first time post but now i sound like im rambling on.. so any and all info is welcome and if you need anything ill be more then happy to help out if i can. p.s. thanx for listening to my rambles...

Depends what money interests you.
I prefer pre 65 silver.

Why squirrel money away? Crime acquired? Grand-Pa's secret card playing money? A farm woman's egg money? Or just money to dip into instead of a trip to a town bank?( If a bank is to be trusted.)A history of bank closings ,even the temporary ones, made some folks gunshy.

1933 the gold standard was abandon in the US.. Did every one trade in their gold coins? The F.D.I.C. was born that year but still ,a trust issue given recent events.
If living in a small town ,during the depression if you are in and out the bank and have much money ,who will know?
There were folks with money who did not wave it around ; when so many had none.

A dime could buy a meal. How recently? A few coins stashed for the average citizen ,depending on the era could be the biggest cache or bank deposit they might make over years of trying to save something.
That means not overlooking a few coins being a heck of a valuable cache to whom ever hid it. Why would they not recover it?
Disease ? ( check history for bad outbreaks) Going to war and not returning? Prison? Death by accident? Old papers and records tell of local events and people.
So too ,old people can recount old times,people ,and events.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions