Buried Jar of money...should I use detector?

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so rumor has it that this old burned down house I went detecting at before has a buried Jar of money under where the basement use to be. I am going to be going there again this weekend to try and find this "hidden" jar, but I was wondering if it is even worth it to use my detector. The foundation is pretty clean...there is like a 7 foot drop to the bottom, but there is a way down there. I just dont know if its worth it to detect or to just start diggin cuz of all the stuff that prolly caved in down there. Any opinions?

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
I think you should start out with a detector. Perhaps you can find the jar fairly easily, and save a bunch of digging.

If that doesn't work, you have to make a judgement call: To borrow or rent a two-coil deepseeker, or to use a probe, or to dig and sift everything. Good luck to you in any event.

Chip V.

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
just start diggin cuz of all the stuff that prolly caved in down there. Any opinions?
I would start here and then take the detector down there. It is hard enough to detect through trash that is underground, let alone trash on top of the ground.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Bobby S, With a steel rake clear out a quarter of the space going as
deep in the soil as you can. Detect in all metal the cleared area. Then
rake all the debris into that space so you have a non-metalic space to
use your Minelab. Good luck.

lastleg

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a complete cellar with stone going around it, and its fairly clear down in there...there is some surface junk that i do have to move, but i figure it wont be too hard. Im likin the idea of rakin some of the area, but im sure i'll get a lot of negative signals so i might end up rejecting those.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that a jar or jars of coins will give a good solid signal compared to various, smaller pieces of trash. So the rake and detect method should work quite well. Good luck.

ilyes1113

Sep 3, 2008
constantina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
cscope x3.fisher f5.garrett2500+eagle aye.ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you mean a jar is like this . you have to use this (gti2500+eagle aye)
but 1th you have to detect all metal trash+coins 1 meter enderground

Attachments

• cult_musees_histoire4.jpg
    cult_musees_histoire4.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 3,523
  • garr2500gl.jpg
    garr2500gl.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2,359
  • 2 بحث.JPG
    2 بحث.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 2,368
  • بحث3.JPG
    بحث3.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 2,367
OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehhh, i went today and its a little worse than I thought...some parts of the stone wall caved in there was more brush than i thought. I dont know if its worth it

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Before you give up take a heavy duty pruner and cut the brush stalks
off at ground level. After you get that out of the way detecting will be
a breeze. There's always a way around obstacles with a little work.

lastleg

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also think that the jar would not be much more than a foot deep so they could recover it when it was needed. I would still go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
Ehhh, i went today and its a little worse than I thought...some parts of the stone wall caved in there was more brush than i thought. I dont know if its worth it

That is the part about treasure hunting that keeps it interesting..........the not knowing if all the time, effort, and energy we invest is going to pay off this time or the next.

Treasure is hard to find and good leads are hard to come by. If it was easy to find a jar full of coins we would all be rich.
I would go back over there, clear away the debris and start detecting and digging. You may find something and you may not, but you will gain experience. Whats the worst that can happen....you get a good work out and go home tired.............or you find a buried treasure and go home tired and happy!

Is it worth it? How are you ever going to know if you don't try.

Look I am just trying to let you know that treasure hunting is hard, hard, work and definitely not for everyone. So you have to decide for yourself if you are cut out to find the really good treasure or just the easy nickel and dime targets.

GG~

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I don't know what you think of it but you could always ask for help on here. I am sure there is someone in your neck of the woods that would be willing to help. And you could spur each other on too so ya dont give up.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, i mean im not gonna give up....i dont do that. I guess I was just upset cuz i've been upset with my detector lately. Like at first it works fine, but then all of a sudden it seems like theres a target everywhere and it wont stop...like when theres weeds and stuff, all my coil has to do is touch one of them and it goes off....i dont understand it

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
yea, i mean im not gonna give up....i dont do that. I guess I was just upset cuz i've been upset with my detector lately. Like at first it works fine, but then all of a sudden it seems like theres a target everywhere and it wont stop...like when theres weeds and stuff, all my coil has to do is touch one of them and it goes off....i dont understand it

(1). Get your detector fixed! (take it to a dealer it may be just a minor problem)
(2). Get or make a probe. (PM me if you have never used one) A lot of treasure has been found just by using a probe and a shovel!
http://www.cowboyblacksmith.com/probe.htm

Work the corners of the cellar first. If there were stairs leading down from inside of the house, then look under where they would have been. Look for a depression in the ground, and check there.(previously dug ground settles)
Also use your detector on the walls. (could be stashed behind a loose rock)

Happy Hunting!

GG~

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I don't know about Minelabs but on the Ace250 when the battery life indicator gets to half (2 bars) I start to get a lot of those false signals if you barely touch the coil to the ground or any other object. Even moving the coil too fast will make it beep. Fresh batteries and it goes right back to normal. Don't toss the old batteries though they will still work in remote controls and wireless keyboards and mouse. Good luck finding your cache,

HH Charlie

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, i'll have to check the batteries, they are prolly gettin old...but if its not that, i'll have to do what Rando said and shake it around and see if its still doin it, and if it is...then idk what im gonna do. The closest dealer to me is a whites dealer, and i have a minelab.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i checked and my battery level is full, and i tried shakin my detector and it did kind of at first start goin off...but i decided to disconnect the coil and blow any stuff out of it and plug it back in and it seems to be ok...not sure yet though

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
savant365 said:
I don't know about Minelabs but on the Ace250 when the battery life indicator gets to half (2 bars) I start to get a lot of those false signals if you barely touch the coil to the ground or any other object. Even moving the coil too fast will make it beep. Fresh batteries and it goes right back to normal. Don't toss the old batteries though they will still work in remote controls and wireless keyboards and mouse. Good luck finding your cache,

HH Charlie
i had been running the xterra50 for a while .and when that got to 2 bars it would start acting up.same situation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread