A Mass of Metal- 10 Deep/Any Helpful Ideas?

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
A Mass of Metal- 10' Deep/Any Helpful Idea's?

I've used a Garrett Treasure Hound to locate, at the approximate area where a huge mass of metal (10' X 10') was told to me to be located. The mass is 10' deep, in an approx. 10' X 10' x 10' area. There is an area that the twin box runs into, which is about a 8' diameter area. I used two other coils to find out if the signal would not be able to be picked up, being ten feet deep. The first, a 14" coil on a Garrett Master Hunter 7. Anyone know how deep this 14" coil would go, if a huge mass of metal were 10' down? It seemed to pick something up, but only a little 2'x2' area, on the edge of the circle. The 11" gave some signal, an even smaller area. Can these coils go that far to pick up a tad of signal? I used a 5' probe, and went down a couple of feet. No car hood, or big flat metal. But how could there be, with no constant signal in the 8' diameter, with the 11 & 14 coils? When I point into the circle with the Hound, I get a strong reading all the way around. Stepping through it, there is a constant signal across it. What are the odds of a huge signal like this, and a probe not hitting anything? I want to make sure before I get expensive equipment to dig. Anyone have any good idea's that could verify it is a deep target without a lot of expense? Ground penetrating radar the only solution? Thanks for any help.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Re: A Mass of Metal- 10' Deep/Any Helpful Idea's?

It sounds as though your two box is picking up the target.
I guess I don't understand your hesitation in digging it up. :icon_scratch:

Timberwolf

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

Timberwolf said:
It sounds as though your two box is picking up the target.
I guess I don't understand your hesitation in digging it up. :icon_scratch:

Timberwolf

Expense of the heavy equipment, and not knowing for certain.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

I can understand that.
I guy told me of a cache that is supposedly buried 20' deep in an old cistern.
There is no treasure story for this one, the guy just dowsed it. :dontknow:

So far, I can't get myself to hire a back hoe an operator, to see if the guy is right. ;D

But back to your question....I have a Discovery TF-900 (two box), that some claim will pick up car sized objects buried 20' deep. I don't know if it will or not, I have only tested mine once, in my front yard.

TW

OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009

Timberwolf said:
I can understand that.

So far, I can't get myself to hire a back hoe an operator, to see if the guy is right. ;D

But back to your question....I have a Discovery TF-900 (two box), that some claim will pick up car sized objects buried 20' deep. I don't know if it will or not, I have only tested mine once, in my front yard.

TW

Yeah, several have said that there should be no problem with picking up the signal. What I wish WEREN'T happening, is that the 11 & 14 are reading something. Is it possible for them to go 10 ten feet? The ground is wet from rain.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

I have not had any experiences with coils of that size, so I'm afraid I'm not much help, sorry.

TW

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

LOL, yep....that's what I thought. :tongue3: ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI Detectit my friend: Get a longer probe say to 10 ft, and get to work. The blood hound etc attachmet will certainly go that deep on a large object. But then I am curious just how many treasures are 'that big'? DIG IT UP ya bum ! he he he

Don Jose de La Mancha

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I would think that there would be someone who owns a backhoe who would be willing to gamble on a percentage of the find for their services. Couldn't hurt to ask, the worst they could do is say no. Just a thought, good luck.

HH Charlie

S

stefen

Timberwolf said:
I can understand that.

TW

If you seriously beleive that a dowser can find a cache buried 20 feet deep...and you do actually find it, I need a 50% investment partner for a bank fund in Nigeria that is very tantilizing...as soon as I sell my other 50% in the Brookyln Bridge... :thumbsup:

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Stefen,

I think I'll stick with the dowser.....he only wanted 25%. :wink:

TW

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

;D

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70

Why knock the dowsing angle? I know for a fact that it can be done. I would look into it more deeply before drawing conclusions. :read2: :)

S

stefen

EddieR said:
Why knock the dowsing angle? I know for a fact that it can be done. I would look into it more deeply before drawing conclusions. :read2: :)

Dowsing has been a repeated subject on TN and yet nobody has met the challenge of providing a factual find.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do not believe what I am reading.........You are getting a good signal on your two box detector where you have been told treasure exists, and you hesitate to dig because you are not sure any treasure is there worth renting digging equipment to find :icon_scratch:

What kind of treasure hunting is that?........First I would research the treasure tale to see how believable it was, then either dismiss it, or get to work with a shovel!

There are no guarantees in treasure hunting but a lead is a lead and a signal is a signal. Do some research on the area in question to rule out water lines and start digging! I have dug some pretty deep holes by hand just by using a regular shovel, after getting a signal with my two-box detector. Digging is really the only way to know for sure what's there, and digging is how you retrieve buried treasure. If you are going to be a treasure hunter then you need to get used to digging.

If treasure hunting was easy we would all be rich enough to own our own backhoe, but then we wouldn't need one. :tongue3:

This one will get you to 7 feet deep. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65162
65162.gif

This one has unlimited depth:
97201.gif

It would take two men about 5 hours to dig a hole 10'x10'x10' using a standard shovel, depending upon the consistency of the dirt. At the average rate of 10sq. feet per hr. per man.
I would say one man could do it in two 6 hr. days.
Man_digs_2.gif

GG~

Are you still trying to get at those buried tools? I would partner up with a backhoe operator and split the take 50/50.
Let him know if nothing is found then you pay him a hundred bucks. :dontknow:

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70

stefen said:
EddieR said:

Dowsing has been a repeated subject on TN and yet nobody has met the challenge of providing a factual find.

Actually....a lot of finds have been posted on here...but people refuse to believe that they were found by dowsing. Some people will not believe ANYTHING it seems.

I personally have family members that dowse. My grandfather and I found an old Indian silver mine by dowsing. Since then I have found 2 more in the general area by dowsing myself. So yes....dowsing works. My Uncle had his property map dowsed for water over 30 years ago. His water is still flowing, found at EXACTLY the spot and at the EXACT depth he was told to dig. So yes....dowsing works.

I found a leak in my water line at home 2 years ago....so yes, dowsing works.

I found a pin that had came loose from a tractor in a plowed field....so yes, dowsing works.

Respectfully,
Eddie

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Eddie,

I have to admit that I do believe that some people can dowse for treasure.
A friend of mine has done it more than once.

One morning I saw a city worker dowsing a water main, and by golly he did it. :thumbsup:
Yep, some can dowse and some can't.
I'm one of those that can't. :(

TW

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Borrow a magnetometer, like a Schonstedt. Surveyors, utility guys, and some excavators have them. They will only sense magnetism (iron-based) objects, but they will go down 10' if the mass is large enough. I've done 6" iron water pipes at 6'.

So for not much effort, you've gained some knowledge.

I hate to dig, but it may be your only recourse; but do your research first, unless you need to work off the calories.

You could rent a Bobcat backhoe; it isn't all that hard to learn.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009

detectit,remember what you have read about those who buried money for later on--what i have read said some would bury the biggie,and after so much backfilling, bury a smaller cache at same place and hope if anyone finds the small one will jump up and leave thinking that was all.don't know how true that could be but could possibly be what you are experiencing.something else to consider,dig down two to three feet and see how the soil is mixed or not mixed. do a drill test and see what comes up. plus i doubt that your detector is going to read water at ten feet.mine wont read water at one inch. if none of that seems feasible --try another dowser or two and see if it all comes up the same.hope you do find the biggie---------tenclaw :coffee2: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread