Found $1000+ in Jar help me find more

johndeere

Oct 28, 2009
Long story short. I put a french drain around my house with a backhoe. I covered the drain up and then 2-3 weeks later and after a couple of rains. I've found about $1000 in $20 bills. Over time i've looked for more and it appears it was burried in a glass Jar as i've found the remains of bills stuck to glass. There is probably more, someplace in the yard. This was buried in the Mid 70's. And the mason Jar lid that i was burried in was all basicly history. So a metal detector wouldn't work too well.

My question.... What is the best way to search the land for more?

I think a Ground Penetrating Radar would be the best method. I've found some rental places online. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to rent a GPR?

Thanks

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Have Photos??? Here in Texas GPR and Magnetometers run a couple of Hundred dollars a week to rent plus a deposit.

plains digger

Apr 21, 2009
Westwood Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Whites DFX
I think a metal detector would still be helpful. The jar probably had a metal lid. That's what I would start with at least. Congratulations on your find.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was hunting a private yard in Co, back in the 80's very small town.....construction was going on a vacant lot....One of the work guys ran over and showed me a couple of fruit jars, with rusty lids, filled with silver all pre 1940...sum total they found 11 jars...all I got was a few strays (coins) after they left

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
johndeere just start diggin with your hands. if you cut your fingers, you no youre close.

Native1858

Oct 12, 2008
Colorado Springs
rjw4law said:
I was hunting a private yard in Co, back in the 80's very small town.....construction was going on a vacant lot....One of the work guys ran over and showed me a couple of fruit jars, with rusty lids, filled with silver all pre 1940...sum total they found 11 jars...all I got was a few strays (coins) after they left

PM me which town?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought. If the ground is undisturbed, there should be an oxide halo from the mason jar rusting. Might not want to give up on detecting yet. All metal, dig everything! Keep track of where your other finds are made. You might be able to see a pattern.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Just a thought. If the ground is undisturbed, there should be an oxide halo from the mason jar rusting. Might not want to give up on detecting yet. All metal, dig everything! Keep track of where your other finds are made. You might be able to see a pattern.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
johndeere, since the first cache was near the house,IE: washing trough the drain,
it would make sense the person, used another marker of some sort, where there was
a tree or still a tree, another outbuilding, old fence line ect.
and because they used a mason jar, with a hard to detect lid, maybe not the rest of
the caches were done that way. i would try a detector and a probe around those types of places,
try the cheaper way first, no hurry you own the place.
i would think there is more, most people dont put all their eggs in one basket, unless
thats all the eggs they had, unlikely since it was a grand, in that basket, then again
it could have been several baskets and the only spot, yet again unlikely, that all the
baskets were in one spot.and the year of the bills should yield some hints too.
i have only found 2 small caches, and both on same property, both 25 feet from old well
east and west direction, and the value at that time late 70s, no where near a grand
almost forgot WELCOME to Tnet

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. Use a metal detector. Buy books about coins before you sell them. Most Coin dealers are crooks. The best way to sell coins is by coins auctions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread